PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shrooms and Damp Rid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillthrill

Bluelighter
Does anyone use Damp Rid as part of drying their shrooms?
(Botanical Name: Psilocybe cubensis
Common Name: Common Large Psilocybe
Family: Strophariaceae)

What would happen if you got the mostiure ridden damp rid on the shroom? It looks like it is mostly made of salts, but some can be poisonous.
Should this be ingested?

Last edited:
Don't even think of injecting that. Really, really bad idea.

Have no idea what damp rid is so will pass on that and leave to others. But don't inject whatever it is. Any of it.

DampRid has calcium chloride which has low toxicity in mammals, like you'd have to eat grams and grams to die from it. Sodium chloride and potassium chloride are just table salt.
Still, dessicants are not good for people of course and you could get sick especially if it is not hydrated yet. So it better not be a lot and maybe add some extra water to the spots that have it to neutralize it even better.

Despite the fact that this is not really poison / toxic, be realistic and do what you can to prevent ingestion. Healthy is different.

Why not just remove the spots, superficially scrape what you can? No reason to get cheap, thereby eating chemicals like that.

The Edit button is a Good Thing and I'm very glad it was a typo. IV shrooms and desiccants did sound kinda 8o8o8o

Shrooms + radiator has always done the trick for me as far as getting them cracker dry goes. Not sure I'd chow down on mushies I thought were possibly a bit manky though. Not so much cos I think it would be dangerous - more that I'd spend the whole trip stressing about it.

The point is that the person doesn't want to give it to me in case something bad happens due to it. It is a test batch. But I can't stand to be around someone tripping when I'm not. It weirds me out because I can't relate to their experience.
I guess if this person eats it I'll let you know...

^OP said "inject"

^^KCl is not table salt heh.

For all intents and purposes it is. I know it's not, but to simplify it might just as well be. I even believe it's in some sorts of table salt even if its not the original trivial name for it. Anyway it's hardly relevant.

At the risk of failing in re-railing this thread, it's sold as "Lo Salt" or similar in the UK, I think. Folks who are worried about their sodium intake use it as a replacement. Way too "salty" for me - like sodium on steroids.

I definitely wouldn't eat any that have been in direct contact with damp rid. Air dry mushrooms with a fan and screen. Then store them in a plastic bag or jar with a small bag of damp rid. I used to make the damp rid packet out of paper towels and tape (put a pile of damp rid in the middle of some paper towels, fold it up, and tape up the edges. Recently I had one break open and ruin some mushrooms (legal ones :p)

I've used Damp-rid as a desiccant before and some did get on the mushroom, but only a few grains. I wouldn't want to eat the stuff, but I don't think a bit of residue on the shroom will cause any damage.

Just brush it off and it'll be fine as long as you didn't get it covered with the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.