• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Should overweight people do psychedelics (hyperthermia, hypoglycemia ...)?

Survival0200

Bluelighter
I was just wondering, that should overweight (like BMI 30<) people do psychedelics and drugs, that can lead to hyperthermia, hypoglycemia and other conditions like that - at all? Does it make a difference if the substance is a tryptamine or a phenetylamine? Which psychedelic drug/psychedelic drugs of which class are the most problematic for overweight people and diabetics? I don't know any overweight users of psychedelics, so I'm just about this issue. 8)

I believe that phenethylamine psychedelics are more likely to cause those effects due to their similarity to amphetamine.

I have type 1 diabetes (12 years), and notice no problems with hypoglycemia when using psychedelics. Of course there would be some problems if i wasnt eating or adjusting my insulin when not eating.
Hypoglycemia could cause some issues if you dont know the signs to watch for indicating a drop in bloodsugar, and they can be hard to spot when youre tripping. At the end of the day a glass of coke etc will fix it though so I dotn think its a serious risk

Survival0200 said:
I was just wondering, that should overweight (like BMI 30<) people do psychedelics and drugs, that can lead to hyperthermia, hypoglycemia and other conditions like that - at all? Does it make a difference if the substance is a tryptamine or a phenetylamine? Which psychedelic drug/psychedelic drugs of which class are the most problematic for overweight people and diabetics? I don't know any overweight users of psychedelics, so I'm just about this issue. 8)

I can't offer a medical opinion on this, but I'm overweight and I've never had trouble with physical reactions to drugs. It still depends on your personal health. My cardiovascular system is extremely healthy (so says my most recent physical), and I tend to have a hearty constitution. I'm just a tall, big guy, who eats shitty food. ;)

It all depends on you personally. Does walking up a set of stairs make you feel like you're dying? Can you dance all night at a party and feel fine, assuming you stay hydrated? Being overweight, or even technically obese (BMI >30) doesn't automatically make you unhealthy, it just means you have a higher RISK of developing those sorts of health problems. Consider eating better and doing more exercise, but don't necessarily throw away your stash.

Weight is not an automatic disqualifier. Skinny people with bad hearts or other serious health problems shouldn't do drugs either.

I am a hypoglycemic, though not very overweight. I have to keep hard candy and juice on hand whenever I decide to take a psychedelic voyage ( and pretty much all other times also). Dxm and halogenated amphetamines (DOI) seem to give me the worst issues with blood sugar. If you are attentive to your physical symptoms whilst engaged by the experience, you should be ok. Keep in mind, I am no doctor, just speaking from experience.

If you have a bad heart, taking MDMA would be a bad idea. Seriously overweight people are in danger of having weakened hearts, so should probably use caution. But anyone who's at a risk for heart attack, not just overweight people should heed this advice...

Im a fairly big guy and have never experienced a problem on psychs nore anything else for that matter

I have had diabetics and a few others who had issues during a trip but they assure me it wasnt the drugs fault but the lack of paying attention to there body cause they were too spaced

That said the issues were relitivly minor

Yeah, i'd be concerned about it if someone is predisposed to cardiovascular issues or diabetes, but if you are well prepared and do the usual safety stuff (start low dose, drink water, eat food before tripping, keep a healthy lifestyle), you should be ok. I've known some pretty big people who party on e and lsd, among other psycedelics, and they seem to do fine.