• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Short Term Switch to Methadone before Detox From Heroin

ElroyH

Greenlighter
Hi Guys i'm after a bit of advice,

I have a Heroin habit (Smoking) which if i'm honest is still creeping up even though i'm trying to lower it before i go into a detox center. With some of my cash and my parents were going to help with the extra cash too i found a place i thought would be OK but when i contacted them they suggested i contacted my local drugs service and see if they could fund it.

After a good chat with them i would have to switch to methadone or suboxone and take regular clean tests for approx 6 - 9 weeks before they could apply for the funding, the only problem is i wanted to detox straight from heroin as i believe the withdrawals won't last as long, if i was to switch over to meths for the 9 weeks and then another 3 weeks waiting time to get in is this going to make much difference to the length of WD's?

I'm really in two minds now whether to scrape the cash together or go their route, i have been on meths in the past but that was years ago and i never withdrew from it as i switched back to Heroin. As my habit now averages about 6 bags a day (Tend to have a few days at 5 then spike every so many days and have 8 or 10 to catch a buzz) i would need a high dose of methadone.

I'm really confused what to do but after being a functioning addict for over ten years now and holding down the same job i'm at the point now where 100% of my wages are going on it and for the first time my car insurance got cancelled as i missed a couple of payments, i know that does not seem a big thing but i feel i'm starting to finally slip after all this time.

I'm just so fucking low and disgusted in myself i need to get off this now. Also if i was to go on the meths for that period of time i could get my finances back in shape but i don't want to do it for that reason only although it would be a big help.

Have any of you detoxed from Heroin and Methadone and know how they compare? Also is it going to make much difference if i detox from 6 bags a day or say 3 bags a day? Somebody said 1 bag is the same as 10 it makes no difference but i don't really believe that.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thnx.

PS The Suboxone isn't an option it does not suit me at all.

I don't think 9 weeks on methadone will make a hole lot of difference to the lengths of withdrawals. It also has the upside of better controlling cravings compared to suboxone. I imagine they will gradually taper you down from the methadone after they find a dose that holds you.

Anyway congrats on your decision to get help. try to do as the professionals say within reason