• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Severe HPPD symptoms

Heya,

I'm doing quite good despite the yet unwavering light-headedness, (what is now a) mild migraine, and interesting vision issue.

After doing a lot of reading, I've up'd my dosage of omega-3 fish oils. I am taking squid oils which have a higher DHA ratio vs. EPA (2:1, I believe). Similarly, per 1200mg of oil there is 800mg DHA & 400mg EPA. I've done my best researching common dosages in regards to it's known treatments and am comfortable taking 3.5g of oil a day (2 table spoons) as long as the pressure in my head persists.

I have also decided to stop taking Aleve and Tylenol. Neither have helped me all that much and I would much rather avoid what is unknown to me while my fragile head and mind are recovering.

Tramadol requires a prescription in Canada as far as I know. Depending on how a doctor acquaintance of mine feels about it I may start taking it lightly.

Also, I have been feeling very brief, light, cramp-like pains in the left side of my chest. They worry me more than they hurt and typically only happen in the evening when I am lying down. Seeing as I've started exercising nearly every day now for a couple hours, I wouldn't be all that surprised if that was the primary cause of these episodes, but I really don't know.

I am also in the process of quitting smokes right now...

To put it simply, I am taking a lot of fish oil, eating well, and exercising daily.

Amphetamines cause strokes, amongst other very serious ailments.

LOU

Amphetamines cause strokes, amongst other very serious ailments.

so do chairs, long haul flights, cocaine, tight trousers and a whole load more things.

the key thing people don't seem to get is the proper calculation of risk, and being rational about the risks.

I have noticed you have a writing style a lot like first bad comedown, can I join your mutual appreciation society?

so do chairs, long haul flights, cocaine, tight trousers and a whole load more things.

the key thing people don't seem to get is the proper calculation of risk, and being rational about the risks.

I have noticed you have a writing style a lot like first bad comedown, can I join your mutual appreciation society?

They are capable of serious harm.

I never said anything about risk or rationality thereof, but I do agree that it is very important.

You are being rash and disrespectful; a moderator of your disposition is a real shame. As of yet you haven't addressed any of First Bad's 'pseudoscientific woo'... and it's pretty clear why. Feel free to prove me wrong! I'd be very interested in reading the proofs you produce. And I say that without sarcasm or mockery.

They are capable of serious harm.

I never said anything about risk or rationality thereof, but I do agree that it is very important.

You are being rash and disrespectful; a moderator of your disposition is a real shame. As of yet you haven't addressed any of First Bad's 'pseudoscientific woo'... and it's pretty clear why. Feel free to prove me wrong! I'd be very interested in reading the proofs you produce. And I say that without sarcasm or mockery.

I am spending time doing the research reading the papers and actually examining the evidence rather than cherry picking the evidence, which by the way is a hallmark of woo practitioners.

the issue I have is that first bad gets the pharmacology wrong then leaps to some nebulous conclusion. lumping MDMA a sert releaser with psilocin a 5HT2a agonist, on the basis that they interact with serotonin is just plain wrong. elsewhere in another thread apparently nicotine has its own dopamine receptor, really? that would be news to pretty much every neuropharmacologist. if first can't even get the pharmacology and drugs correct what hope is there of getting anything else right??
I do note that FBC has not addressed the comment effie made in this thread about the safety of taking ibuprofen daily. Nor has FBC acknowledged that the comments by alycone wrt hydrocodone are valid.

I respect knowledgeable people, I do not do pseudoscience, the fact that first bad has come to conclusions regarding HPPD without eliminating other possibilities is wrong and unscientific. I don't give a fuck about respecting people spouting forth rubbish, because the misinformation is destructive. if you don't like it- tough, you should see me at conferences, have no qualms about tearing into ideas and theories that is rubbish unsupported by the evidence.

addressing your "amphetamines cause strokes", the word can should be inserted in front of cause however the causal link is not that strong, high blood pressure stress or sleep deprivation can cause strokes.....
then of course there not all drugs that are amphetamines have the sympathomimetic effects of alpha methyl phenethylamine.

Last edited:
Well I thought the first post by first bad comedown was good but don't have the attention span to read through the woo that followed.

Isn't this thread about purdey anyways? I thought the advice about getting off SSRIs and all other doctor-prescribed meds and staying away from all recreational drugs as well was excellent.

So are the ideas to eat healthy, take fish oil (by the handful I would add) and exercise as much as possible even if purdey doesn't want to or feels like staying inside all day in a sorrow fest or whatever this drug-induced HPPD manifests itself as.

Other than that anything in this thread looked like jargon or conversation. There's definitely no update from purdey. Purdey is all I care about. :) <3

I love these subjective diagnoses.

"I did a drug that interacts with XYZ receptor system. Now I feel different - I must have caused permanent damage to XYZ system, and should take more drugs to 'upregulate' and 'repair' it! Here are selected journal articles that seem vaguely related, these are validation of my condition despite my astonishing and total lack of evidence and adherence to the scientific method."

Lou - thanks for the support.

Vecktor -

Take your time.
The truth is you are the first person to do any real work to oppose me.
I look forward to it.

Sure, I have come across some friction in ED, but nobody even tries to stand up to my basic scientific assertions. The few that have argued with me, I can count on one hand. Those that have PMed me for help have numbered many more.

I rarely discuss pharmacology of drugs.
Yes, I recommended ibuprofen for regular use once or twice several months ago.
At the time I was experiencing severe head-pressure and I considered it well worth the risk. I was notified about the risk involved with regular use of NSAIDs. I knew stomach bleeding was a possibility, but I was not aware of the other risks - including increased risk of stroke!

Since then, I have not recommended it to anyone and I discontinued personal use.

Other than this, I doubt you will find any mistakes in terms of advice that I have dispensed. Most of my advice on MDMA recovery involves diet, supplements, and exercise. Piracetam is the furthest I have gone in terms of recommending medication. I am a strong opponent of SSRIs.

Hydrocodone is not synonymous with acetaminophen - I simply stated that it contains it. While not exactly true, most prescriptions do contain both. My warning about regular use of acetaminophen seems valid, and in opposition to my foolish suggestion about ibuprofen. I was not attempting to be the expert on opiate pharmacology.

Another mistake - the dopamine system does not contain 'nicotine receptors'.
Nicotine acts acts on cholinergic receptors, which bind to acetylcholine, not dopamine. A rather glaring mistake - that's what I get for casually venturing about.

'Lumping' MDMA with mushrooms is NOT invalid, sir.
Regardless of their differing modes of action, both share serotonin as the primary common ground. Many psychedelics do this and they also share a remarkable number of symptoms from abuse. LSD seems to be riskier than mushrooms. More striking is the similarity between MDMA and SSRIs in terms of bad outcomes.

My primary goal has been the translation of MDMA research into plain English.
People that are suffering want to know why. It is not enough to tell them they will be ok, they need to know how it is even possible to recover.

There is an abundance of studies to read. Many offer very limited information and fail to advance the general understanding. Others reveal only small, nebulous conclusions. Some older studies can be quite useful because they establish many of the basics that serve as the foundation for current research.
But it took reading hundreds of documents for me to feel confident about 'the basics'.

No, I did not establish a list of citations as I studied. I knew it would have been wise, but it would have slowed me down considerably. I am finally in the process of hunting down the important papers that led me to the 'basics'. It is quite time-consuming.

Neurology is in its infancy, so definitive conclusions about anything can be difficult or impossible to find. It is this impossible task that I have undertaken.
I have attempted to extract some of the 'definitive' findings in MDMA research and present them as a narrative that can be easily understood.

Yes, there is still some debate amongst scientists regarding the consequences of MDMA use. But most users of MDMA fail to understand that some consensus has been reached. Decades of hard work by countless scientists have revealed a few basic truths about MDMA neurotoxicity. Some of these basics are ignored by arrogant and mis-informed users. Even I was shocked that so much of the debate has been settled already.

For example, re-dosing is widely practiced among MDMA users.
The more experienced users will caution against this and may even recommend a re-dosing schedule. One of the most important 'basics' found in research is that re-dosing does the most damage.

Regardless of whether or not ridiculous toxic doses are used, or closer approximations to 'recreational doses' are chosen - there is a VERY clear trend. Re-dosing is nearly ALWAYS practiced in research when toxicity is studied. That is because re-dosing guarantees toxicity.

Even proponents of harm-reduction seem to ignore the profound significance of this very basic premise. Some do caution against it, but not strongly enough, IMO. That is why so many of my posts include the statement - "Do NOT re-dose. Re-dosing has been proven to increase the damage done by MDMA."

This is considered a fact. The exact dosage that causes this in humans is not known, but it is assumed that many are well inside this territory. MDMA does not have linear pharmacokinetics, so the dose that causes severe axotomy of 5-HT neurons can vary widely depending on a variety of factors. But one factor has been established as critical - multiple doses.

Anways, I look forward to your response about stroke risk.
I did not indicate any particular level of risk to most MDMA users. But I would argue that those in 'recovery' from MDMA are indeed at increased risk.

Perhaps I will present a few other studies to you, down the line.
Until then...

Best treatment for HPPD: good nutrition, exercise, sleep, and responsible behavior.

Clonazepam is a great way to get a benzodiazepine addiction. Ibuprofen is a great way to fuck up your arteries.

What was the first antidepressant?

Technically, the first antidepressant was isoniazid, an anti-tuberculosis drug. Doctors realized that people who were taking isoniazid to treat tuberculosis became "inappropriately happy", and an analog was later developed that lacked antimycobacterial activity.

Isoniazid and its cousins work as irreversible nonselective monoamine oxidase inhibitors. This is the oldest and still the most effective class of antidepressants, but it comes with serious dietary restrictions and side effects, and it is unsafe when combined with many psychoactives and pharmaceuticals (incl. MDMA, DXM, tramadol, amphetamine, MDAI, ketamine, basically anything that affects any monoamine transporter).

I just read through what FBC had to say, and wow, I can't believe the stupidity of it all.

I realize why no one objects to you there: they're idiots given to mystical and simplistic thinking. There are certainly many intelligent ones, don't get me wrong, but the bulk fit this description and worse, the ones who know better are far too kind to correct you. Spending one's time in a forum which doesn't uncommonly discuss whether there are actually DMT elves and demons and Gods, etc, requires that sort of kindness, I suppose.

So much of what you have to say is nonsense that's supported only by your misinformed and self-generated understanding of neurochem.

You remind me of... shit, I forget his name... the meow meow guy, the British one who went insane. Not the insane bit, but you guys seem to use the same of thinking in making conclusions.

Hydrocodone is not synonymous with acetaminophen - I simply stated that it contains it. While not exactly true, most prescriptions do contain both. My warning about regular use of acetaminophen seems valid, and in opposition to my foolish suggestion about ibuprofen. I was not attempting to be the expert on opiate pharmacology.

Actually, most Tramadol prescriptions seem to be for Ultracet and other tramadol/apap combination drugs. Given this, the your whole line of reasoning is retarded.

Regardless of whether or not ridiculous toxic doses are used, or closer approximations to 'recreational doses' are chosen - there is a VERY clear trend. Re-dosing is nearly ALWAYS practiced in research when toxicity is studied. That is because re-dosing guarantees toxicity.

How about one study which backs up this claim? Have fun pulling that up...

'Lumping' MDMA with mushrooms is NOT invalid, sir.
Regardless of their differing modes of action, both share serotonin as the primary common ground. Many psychedelics do this and they also share a remarkable number of symptoms from abuse. LSD seems to be riskier than mushrooms. More striking is the similarity between MDMA and SSRIs in terms of bad outcomes.

What? More nonsense. They may both interact with serotonin but there are many different types of serotonin receptors with extraordinarily diverse effects on the brain.

MDMA and SSRI's are closer to exact opposites, with nearly no similarity. SSRI's decrease 5HT levels after about a week. If you were intelligent you'd be connecting SSRIs to 5HT2a agonists like LSD and psilocybin due to the increased 5HT2a stimulation (though by greatly different ligands- and in this case, we ought to all be well aware of the different signalling activated by different ligands [pla2 plc, etc] and the differences in overall effect they have).

By this morons logic Lisuride should be making for terrible HPPD...

8)

I just read through what Hammilton had to say, and wow, I can't believe how off task he is. How retarded.

Can we move on?

All the tramadol I have ever come across is free of acetaminophen.
If you have some expertise on what 'most' prescriptions are written for, please provide this most useful reference.

Even if you do, what is the point?
Most hydrocodone prescriptions do indeed contain acetaminophen.
So it would seem you are arguing with me about something I was right about in the first place. You are really just arguing semantics, regarding the word 'contain'. Hmm... typical expert bullshit, no substance.

"Have fun pulling that up"

Um...
Do you really need citations to prove that re-dosing is the primary risk factor for MDMA neuro-toxicity? If so, you should go join the e-tards, because you are in league with 'elf' talk. You know that, right?

A blind stab in the dark would 'pull up' a study that confirms this!
Study after study after study...
ALL the studies designed to show neurotoxicity use repeated doses, often for several consecutive days.
Some use 20-40mg/kg, while others use 2.5-5.
But the repetition seems effective even at lower doses.
Why would you even chose to argue on this one?

It's one of the few definitive findings in research....the greater number of doses, even at 'recreational amounts', the greater the damage.

Yes, I have seen a study that shows repeated use every 4 weeks at 2.5mg/kg does NOT cause damage. But that is not what I was talking about.
I tell everyone that will listen in ED that re-dosing is the worst choice they could make. This is true for other drugs, but MDMA is uniquely qualified for this disclaimer.

Finally, you had something relevant to say...
SSRIs and MDMA are not opposites, either. BOTH cause depletion after a period of increase.

Both also cause long-term downregulation, and the symptoms that result are remarkably similar. Those that suffer the most from SSRI discontinuation more closely resemble MDMA abusers than either LSD or mushrooms. They are hyper-vigilant, almost hypochondriac in nature. Their emotional state could be described as schizophrenia/Asperger's. Aside from obsessing over their condition, there is a remarkable similarity in the recovery process. The trend of 1-2 years seems to predominate, with a minority going to 4 years or beyond.

MDMA causes upregulation of 5-HT2a receptors in the occipital cortex, when depletion of serotonin is severe. This is thought to be a compensatory response. I consider it the likely cause of HPPD in MDMA users. The 5-HT2a antagonism could ALSO explain the incidence of this visual disorder in LSD/psilocybin users.
But of course I'm an 'idiot' to draw any connection here. :\

You managed to insult me many times, yet you failed to form a real argument.
Talking about HPPD would have been useful, but you focused on proving my lack of intelligence, rather than contributing any REAL information.

If you weren't so busy trying to be a jerk, you might actually be able to help LouArcher, or who knows...maybe the OP.
That is, after all, what I'm doing.

Moving on...
Vecktor, if you are not interested in dealing with me, feel free to say so.
MDMA causes an increase in CBV Accidents/stroke.
While rare, any increase is statistically significant.

Lou, come back and tell us how you are doing.
Others may come across this thread and will want to see updates from HPPD sufferers. Good luck.

I am very interested in clean/informed debate, but this is plain silly. Frankly, I'd like to see someone step up and provide some real substance opposing FirstBad's views.

He's given me a few recovery pointers along with words of encouragement. I've looked into his explanations for myself and it all seems rather ironed out. I'm exercising, taking fish oils and eating steak... I'm not too worried if his proofs boil down to semantics. ha

After two and a half weeks my migraine has subsided! I began taking 4000mg of fish oil a day (2:1 / DHA:EPA, I am pretty sure) around a week ago and feel as though that has helped a lot. It gives me insanely long & vivid dreams too (-- has anyone else experienced that?) Aside from that my eyesight is similar to what I reported previously. The headache is gone which has relieved a lot of pain in the forehead/behind the eyes, but my eyesight is still a little off. My range of focus is still quite small and both 'images' feel a little off (although better than before). The eyesight issue appears to worsen at times depending on what I am looking at (i.e. a checkered kitchen floor or headlights)

All in all I am feeling very well compared to a month ago.

I should also mention that my concentration is quite lacking. I find it very hard to sit down and read, or focus on anything for a lengthy period of time for that matter. This was not the case beforehand! The reasoning behind the latter could be many things... I am just relaxing/being healthy and giving it time.

Thanks for your concern FirstBad. It's appreciated!

Lou

Moving on...
Vecktor, if you are not interested in dealing with me, feel free to say so.
MDMA causes an increase in CBV Accidents/stroke.
While rare, any increase is statistically significant.

Lou, come back and tell us how you are doing.
Others may come across this thread and will want to see updates from HPPD sufferers. Good luck.

cut the swaggering please, In case you hadn't realised I have other things to do in my life and this is just one of many things that I have in my to do folder.
So far the analysis I have seen does not support the link between MDMA and a statistically significant risk of stroke, n is too small and the incidence of stroke amongst the group is actually greater than zero. so MD's extrapolating from one or two incidents is misguided, bear in mind that there have been in excess of 250 000 exposures to MDMA per week in the UK alone for the last 30 years and there is no epidemiological evidence of stroke risk in the MDMA cohort. so whatever the incidence is it is vanishing small, so perhaps you should rephrase MDMA causes strokes to MDMA can very rarely cause stroke in predisposed individuals and I would agree with you. it is not like cocaine exposure where there is a clear significant correlation. perhaps you should read up on what statistically significant means because I don't get the feeling you understand it.

there are actually a lot of things to deal with which you have wrapped up in a overly simplistic way and I will take my time,

If this is not good enough, then tough

FWIW I don't have any problem with the fish oil and exercise recommendations, this might work or might not, or is just placebo but is going to cause no real harm either way

Swaggering will be toned down.

If other users are allowed to insult me multiple times, then I have a motive to respond with confidence. Consider my tone to be one of respect when it comes to you and others that simply want to participate in debate.

I understand that you are a busy man on BL.
Probably in life as well...I know I am.

I also cannot find epidemiological evidence on stroke/CBVA among MDMA users.
It appears that the risk is very small.

However, the number of studies mentioning these events is impressive.
There are multiple case reports, for sure.
Perhaps this was more common during the height of MDMA abuse ten years ago...

Not only can one find a concern among researchers, but there are an alarming number of reports of 'brain zaps' and 'head-pressure' on BL.
It can last for many months.
This also occurs in some former SSRI users, by the way.

Only people that have experienced these violent cerebral sensations can appreciate my level of concern. It is not something you want to go through.

Also, it is common for people to survive small strokes with few or no symptoms.
Many are simply unaware that it has happened and do not go to the hospital.
I didn't...and I'm sure it happened twice during my recovery.
The first one happened 72 hours after my last MDMA exposure.
The second happened in month 6 post.

No, I am not generating a baseless diagnosis - I had several of the common signs, including weakness in one arm and radial pain/numbness. This coincided with a rather severe episode of head-pressure, of course. Full function and control of my arm didn't return for many hours. My speech was only affected during the first event, not the second.

I suspect that if the population of MDMA users was narrowed down to only those experiencing clinically significant anxiety, the incidence of stroke/CBVA would increase to a statistically significant number.

This is the information I seek, yet it seems elusive or non-existent.
Although 'brain-zaps' seem common, hospital visits may only be occurring with catastrophic events. Even with a hospital visit, many strokes go undetected.
Hell, some elderly people never even feel them happen.

The Chinese believe that migraines/headaches are the result of malfunction in the gut. I have to say, in both of my suspected 'strokes' I experienced severe intestinal discomfort. Not only this...

Every single day my head-pressure AND anxiety are directly linked to the process of digestion.

Every day is not that bad, but eating fast-food multiple days in a row is a BAD idea. Any large intake of carbs is risky, but repeated consumption is a guarantee of suffering. The on-set is often delayed by a day or two as the intestines move everything along.

Again I feel the need to state that I am not inventing symptoms.
This is a conclusion I came to through careful and repeated observation over a LONG period of time. Often the effects are subtle, but every time I feel head-pressure I can detect movement in my intestines. Every single time.

When the symptoms are more severe, the sensation of pressure in my intestines is FAR from subtle. Not only do I believe that damaging the serotonin nerves in my brain has caused this intestinal malfunction, but I also believe that the intestines are in charge of the 're-wiring' process in my brain.

Thats right - the never ending cycle of digestion is running the show here.
It makes sense, since the primary purpose for serotonin IS digestion.
The gut is re-wiring the brain.

That is why recovery takes so long for some people.
That is why it can cause stroke, even LONG after MDMA exposure.

My analysis may seem over-simplified to an Advanced mod, but I stand firmly by it.
Simplification is, after all, the goal of research. Isn't it?

Gastroenterology is unlike other fields of medicine.
The intestines and the enteric nervous system are said to comprise a 'second brain'.
Some even suggest it was the first brain to evolve...

The study of either brain is an enormous effort, so combining the two is even more difficult. It is believed that serotonin is the primary link between them. That is why I proclaim that MDMA and other serotonergic drugs are taking advantage of this highly complex 'brain-gut circuitry'.

Having an advanced understanding of receptor sub-types and the mode of action of different drugs is only a beginning, although I appreciate any contributions.

My goal is to simplify the impossibly complex and present it to those who are already participating in a large-scale self experiment.

I find that members of the Advanced board seem to understand the risks involved with MDMA and other psychedelics. They are certainly more apt to approach them with caution and respect. The same cannot be said for ED members. They are the ones who need the simplification, not an exact and perfect understanding.

I welcome your criticism of my general assertions, when you have the time.
I think you will find most of my analysis to be difficult to argue with, as I rarely delve into advanced detail. You will also find that most of my advice on recovery is quite safe and reasonable.

If you can add to my understanding and aid me in re-phrasing some of my strong assertions, it will be highly appreciated.
I seek to spread truth, not propaganda.

Okay, right off the bat, bitterness ahead. Ye be warned.
This is fucking Looney Toons material. It drives me right up the wall. I don't even know where to start.

I also cannot find epidemiological evidence on stroke/CBVA among MDMA users.
It appears that the risk is very small.

Gee I wonder why.

No, I am not generating a baseless diagnosis - I had several of the common signs, including weakness in one arm and radial pain/numbness. This coincided with a rather severe episode of head-pressure, of course. Full function and control of my arm didn't return for many hours. My speech was only affected during the first event, not the second.

So this didn't, you know, lead you to think that something might be going wrong? "Oh shit, my arm's dead, my head hurts like hell, I'd better not call the ambulance though." Not only after this happened once, but after it also happened a second time? No medical intervention or attention at all? Really?

Gilbert Ryle 1949: "The fact that a person takes heed of his organic sensations does not entail that he is exempt from error about them. He can make mistakes about their causes and he can make mistakes about their locations. Furthermore, he can make mistakes about whether they are real or fancied, as hypochondriacs do."

If you have had a stroke, go to a doctor and get an angiogram to confirm. Don't fidget in your chair then mope around posting on forums inviting people to open their minds to magical thinking processes involving the serotonin system and massive vascular damage. And definitely don't say you have had a stroke without any sort of actual confirmation aside from pure subjective diagnosis. Cerebrovascular accidents are serious shit.

Thats right - the never ending cycle of digestion is running the show here.
It makes sense, since the primary purpose for serotonin IS digestion.
The gut is re-wiring the brain.

That is why recovery takes so long for some people.
That is why it can cause stroke, even LONG after MDMA exposure.

Last Measure source code said:
Now this is something I just don't get.
So because serotonin is involved with digestive processes, and the gut has nerves, disruption of the gut somehow causes strokes. Of course. This would follow, logically.

The study of either brain is an enormous effort, so combining the two is even more difficult. It is believed that serotonin is the primary link between them. That is why I proclaim that MDMA and other serotonergic drugs are taking advantage of this highly complex 'brain-gut circuitry'.

This is magical thinking if I ever saw it. You should look into human physiology, esp. innervation, and come back once you have read a little more.

Nobody is disputing your recovery advice - indeed most of it is sound - but your rationale is lacking. Simplicity has its place but there is a drastic need for specificity and fine detail, especially in an advanced forum. Saying "Oh MDMA causes vascular damage and makes you feel like hell because of 5-HT2x agonism" has more ground to it than "MDMA causes strokes! .... with serotonin! ... in the gut!"

Another long reply

Bitterness?

Um, no.

Bitterness did occur when this began for me 8 months ago.
I was certain I would find all the detail I needed from others that have been through this.
Surely two decades of widespread MDMA use has resulted in hundreds or thousands of stories similar to mine...

I was angry when I discovered only paltry accounts of this process.
It would seem that other survivors of MDMA-induced brain damage lack the ability or the motivation to share their stories in detail.
Either they simply don't care, or they chose to move on with their lives.
Many of them turned their backs on the online community, focusing solely on their own recovery.

I must also point out that not everyone had internet access in the late 90s when MDMA use reached its peak.
That could be a factor.

There are some personal accounts available which indicate recovery does occur, typically around the one year mark.
Too often these stories lack the critical detail desired by those beginning the journey.
It is not enough to simply offer words of comfort, people want to know why they will recover.

I decided to immerse myself in MDMA research to find the answers I so desperately needed.
Regardless of your opinion of me, I understood quite a bit of it.
Learning a new vocabulary was only the beginning.
Not every study filled with technical terms offers valuable data.
Indeed, many studies provide only the smallest contributions; some are useless.
Others offered great leaps in understanding.

Through my studies I discovered why so many people lack the desire to write with definitive opinions - the nervous system is a vast frontier in medicine, one that we have only begun to explore. Even the most brilliant neurologists understand only a small fraction of what biology has to offer.
Remember that when you feel the need to criticize me for my 'looney tunes material'.

After three months of intensive study I decided to provide to others what I could not find for myself.
After all, what right did I have to hold others in contempt if I was not willing to even try?

So I developed a narrative, one that evolved as I wrote.
I never claimed to be a true expert, but I have positioned myself as a teacher.
I have taken many of the basic findings in MDMA research and translated them into plain English.
While it may lack the level of detail and citations expected in the Advanced forum, it has provided countless ED members with practical and useful advice.
That is, after all, where most of them go.

I have little desire to sit in this forum and discuss receptor types and molecular structures.
With more time invested I would be fully capable.
The one thread I did contribute to in this forum has finally resulted in some rather arrogant responses and a few insults.
I look past those in search of real objections to the claims I make.
I can find very few.

Sufferers of HPPD are often more desperate for answers than others.
I have been contacted by MORE people because of my old posts on this thread than any other on BL.
Out of 200 posts so far, those contained here have introduced me to the greatest number of lost souls.
Think about that...

So what is the function of the Mods in this thread?
I have little doubt that both of you have been great resources over a very long period of time, yet you seem to ignore the value of my contributions.
In fact you hold me in contempt for errors not even related to my narrative.

Allow me to respond to your post:

The lack of epidemiological data on stroke/CBVA among MDMA users is small because severe outcomes from MDMA use are relatively rare.
My narrative asserts that even users who never reach this level of suffering are STILL causing alterations to their 5-HT network, especially from repeated dosing.

However, I strongly believe that the risk of stroke/CBVA goes up considerably for those suffering from clinically significant anxiety/depression.
The absence of this data does NOT mean the risk is absent.
I have seen several healthcare providers describe this as a shocking phenomena among young people.
Frequent reports of 'brain-zaps' and 'head-pressure' back me up.
Many MDMA users describe these events as violent and frightening, and often occurring for months.

Regardless of the debate we are having on strokes, the consensus among researchers is that MDMA "re-wires" the brain, permanently.
Although the precise implications of this are still in debate, the language used sounds severe.
Does it not?

Serotonin is known to have a profound effect upon small blood vessels in the brain.
Many MDMA users have been found to have decreased regional blood flow following use.
Occasionally increases are seen - this is considered a hallmark of neurotoxicty.
As serotonin re-innervation occurs, often in abnormal places, capillaries respond.
This process of re-distribution is undoubtedly the source of 'brain-zaps' AND strokes.

Is this still 'driving you up a wall'?

Does the lack of definitive proof really deserve complete dismissal and disrespect?

Look, I understand the need for scientific method.
I appreciate the precision with which most scientists operate, but when science meets biology formulas become impossibly complex.
Neuro-scientists are essentially trying to pry open the smallest micro-circuitry ever invented.
They are playing God.

People suffering from drug use, whether it be cocaine, METH, or MDMA simply do not have the time to wait on science to reach a full understanding.
The molecules we are putting into our bodies are interacting with our nervous systems in multi-faceted ways.
A perfect understanding is not required to reach helpful conclusions, either.

Having the exact right information laid out in perfect fashion is simply not realistic.
But we CAN draw general conclusions from the data that is available and try our best to piece together the answers.
Like working on a puzzle - you don't have to have all the pieces to see the bigger picture.

That is what I am working on - the bigger picture.
And I assure you that brain-zaps, head-pressure, re-wiring, and strokes/CBVA are ALL a part of this bigger picture.

For many the effects are negligible and easily ignored, but that does not mean it is non-existent.
For others, there is no doubt.
What. So. Ever.

Moving on...

Yes I sought medical attention, the first time.

I foolishly waited until the next night, when severe symptoms reappeared.
The effects of the first night definitely effected my judgement.
You really can't imagine what its like - the basic ability to speak is interfered with.
After an intense and life-threatening experience I realized that my body temperature was starting to rise.
When this happened my then-limited understanding of MDMA research kicked in and I took immediate measures to lower my temp.
It is a good thing I did.

Looking back I regret not going to the hospital the first night because I suspect serotonin syndrome.
This is a treatable condition under most circumstances, although it is also called 'serotonin toxicity' and may overlap with MDMA 'neurotoxicity'.

When I did go I was NOT given an angiogram, CT, or MRI.
At the time 'head-pressure' was not my greatest complaint, it was severe intestinal cramping and swelling in the upper abdomen.
There was definitely anxiety, tachycardia, and migraine.
I had to ARGUE to receive a goddamn blood test for liver function!
It came back fine, fortunately.

What I learned that night is that drug users that are suffering from anxiety are seen WAY too often to be taken seriously.
If you don't have a fever, MDMA is NOT treated aggressively.
If you want a brain scan you are NOT going to get it in the ER unless it is critical.

The next night a similar cascade of symptoms occurred, although much less pronounced.
I chose to go to a private hospital, which proved somewhat helpful.
Although they did not look at my head at all, they did a sonogram of my liver and gall bladder, along with more blood panels.
They also treated me with respect.
In the end they sent me home with ULCER meds. :\

So there is my long-winded answer.
I went to two different hospitals, neither of which even cared to search for CNS damage or stroke.

Six months later my second 'stroke' occurred VERY suddenly after smoking some weed.
No, this was not a 'panic attack'.
Yes, panic occurred after...but I was certain a blood vessel popped in my head.
When the weed made my stomach churn the serotonin activity in my brain spiked.
That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
My arm hurt AND felt numb/weak at the same time and there was an intense rushing sensation in my head.
However...

By the time I would have made it to the hospital my symptoms were ALREADY receding.
The treatment for stroke is typically watching the patient.
Anti-platelet meds are used when symptoms do not improve.
The greatest risk to survivors of small strokes is a more severe subsequent stroke.
The treatment for this is low dose Aspirin.
This is what I did, along with lowering my body temperature on the night in question.
Within a few hours ALL sensation and function returned.

The 'serious shit' is hardly treatable.
Exercise is recommended starting the next day as it improves recovery outcomes.
But criticizing me for not seeking medical attention really has NO place in this debate.
It does not invalidate my claims in ANY way.

You are attacking the witness' character rather than his statements...

Going to the hospital can be a HUGE waste of time and money.
Strokes are often undetectable.
Besides, head-pressure is a constant fixture of daily life.
Learning to cope with it is critical as there is a natural ebb and flow.
Sometimes there is a sudden crescendo and it can take 2 hours to fully recede.
These 'stroke' events are simply a greater, more sudden crescendo...a continuation on the spectrum that is recovery. Would you have every person suffering a 'brain-zap' run to the ER?

I am not 'moping' in my chair, seiko.
Regardless of how 'subjective' you find my claim to be, I DO have evidence backing me up.
I am extremely confident that this happened and I have EVERY right to post it, even without 'confirmation'.

To me, the question is why do some people find these claims SO hard to believe?
Why is the first reaction always to DOUBT?
And criticize?

MDMA is not presumed innocent until found gulity.
There is plenty of evidence for guilt - plenty.

Consider this -
If 're-wiring' is the agreed-upon language and disruptions in blood distribution HAVE been documented in MDMA research, maybe small strokes are part of the recovery process.

Maybe they are MEANT to happen.
This is what I believe.
Now call this 'magical thinking'.

I am not a hypochondriac.
I never had ANY of the tendencies before this, and I don't have them now.
I am highly analytical but I take my time before reaching conclusions.
While I don't consider all of my conclusions to be 100% spot on, I do believe that I am seeing more of the bigger picture than some of the more detail-oriented members on this site.
I also have a knack for writing.

Yes, I strongly suspect the process of digestion is the cause of BOTH of my strokes.
There IS logic here if you care to see it.

Stroke is the THIRD largest killer in the US.

Diet is OFTEN a suspected cause, although salt content has not had enough evidence to support it.
Aside from strokes, there is evidence that the intestines play an unprecedented role in the aging process itself.
Research in animal models suggest that calorie restriction begun shortly after puberty is a reliable way to extend lifespan!

If you spend some time reading through the statements made by centenarians you will frequently find claims that eating small meals is a major factor.
They often state that pushing away from the table BEFORE you are full is the single most effective habit that aided them in a long life.

Some of these statements may be too 'subjective' for this forum, yet their truth is hard to argue with.

Here is a more technical explanation for my stroke theory:

Intestinal motility causes an increase in serotonin activity in the brain-stem.
If 5-HT receptor activation occurs too abruptly, cerebro-vascular damage can occur.

Is that advanced enough?

I know statements like this may look like 'swagger' but I assure you no 'bitterness' is intended here.
One of the shortcomings of the written word is that it lacks the precision of tone found in speech.
Sure, you can assign a defensive posture and a condescending tone to me, but let it stop there.

This is intended as a debate, offered for the public benefit.
I respect both mods here for their above-average knowledge and intelligence.
I doubt either of you will take any offense.

But you must understand that I cannot allow my hard-earned understanding of MDMA toxicity to be undermined and my very character to be assassinated in the thread that has brought me more 'lost souls' than any other.

My theories and claims DO contain logic.
I will not deny a measure of madness - my brain is being 're-wired'.
But there is method and sound judgement as well.
I was just as condescending and prone to rhetoric before this happened to me.

But I am not immune to mistakes.
They are, after all, the greatest source of learning.
In the end, I hope all of this debate augments my knowledge and refines my approach.

Right now I am reading more about the nervous system, in line with your recommendation.
At the moment I am focusing on glial cells, otherwise known as HALF of the BRAIN.

These abundant cells were historically over-looked and under-estimated.
Their very label means 'glue'.
They were thought to be nothing more than 'packing material' for the neurons that they surround.
I have even included a rather bold claim in my narrative on glial cells that I found in research: 'The process of gliosis, which is formation of scar tissue in the brain, is not typically found in MDMA injury.'

The division of glial cells cannot be simply called 'scar tissue', but it does appear to be a major roadblock to recovery in MANY types of brain damage.
The absence of this roadblock in MDMA damage may be critical, but this does not preclude the possibility of other types of glial response.
For example, blood disruptions in MDMA users eventually return to normal, even though serotonin re-innervation is known to remain abnormal.
How can this occur? Perhaps glial cells hold the answer.

Although they do not relay electrical information like neurons, glial cells DO transmit messages via calcium ions, as well as others.
They can sense neuronal activity and they even have MOST of the receptors for neurotransmitters on their cellular surface.
These cells are a VAST and unexplored terrain in neuroscience.
They are expected to reveal some very BASIC truths about how the brain functions.

Perhaps one day I will return with more sweeping and magical opinions to share.
:D

For those who read this very long post, thanks for your time.
Same thing goes for the mods and their thoughtful replies.

Until next time...

Last edited:
I don't even want to qualify that wall of text with an answer. Suffice to say I do not believe in your pseudoscience and find your theories to be pointless speculation. I fail to see a single literature citation amongst the long tirade you posted. Yawn.

Surely two decades of widespread MDMA use has resulted in hundreds or thousands of stories similar to mine...
I was angry when I discovered only paltry accounts of this process.
It would seem that other survivors of MDMA-induced brain damage lack the ability or the motivation to share their stories in detail.
Either they simply don't care, or they chose to move on with their lives.

It's almost like you're fabricating this problem yourself! (sorry but that is my belief. the nocebo effect is very strong)

Does the lack of definitive proof really deserve complete dismissal and disrespect?
Yep, pretty much. If you don't want to back your argument up with peer reviewed, controlled studies then get lost. This is Advanced Drug Discussion, not Speculative Drug Discussion. It's not a place for mutual masturbation over hypothesized strokes and brain re-innervation.

Yes, I strongly suspect the process of digestion is the cause of BOTH of my strokes.

And lots of people suspect that, oh, vaccines cause immune overload and autism, or that aspartame is a tumorigenic agent.

I'm not going to even answer any of these posts any more. I've made my point quite clear and until I have a series of strokes that I don't seek treatment for then I will stay out of it from now on. Good day.

But FirstBad's main point is that MDMA abuse can lead to dire consequences and profound changes within a person's brain. And that the line between abuse and prudence is much thinner than some suppose. Are you prepared to argue this?

The Wall of Text wins again....

I know my long-winded tirades are tiresome for some members.
I really don't expect you to continue arguing with me anyways.

Citations would likely make very little difference.
The last set I posted about strokes/CBVA in this thread were dismissed or ignored entirely. Even if I were to post more, citations are certainly not the end of discussion.

Besides, the presence of scientific research and resulting data often serves to introduce further questions. Sometimes this is not evident around here - people seem to think that they know the whole story just because they have some of the fine detail neatly labeled. Much of what exists here is only a beginning.
Pretending otherwise is 'looney tunes material'.

Since HPPD is a subjective experience there exists very little data on its causes. Perhaps threads on HPPD simply do not belong in your forum.
Then you could avoid 'fabrication' artists, like myself.

Perhaps there needs to be a 'Speculative' forum for those of us willing to play the guessing game. You act as if a doctor really has all the answers.
Many on BL fail to realize that most doctors are useless for MDMA-related problems. They literally cannot help.

Sure, they can intervene in the cascade that sometimes leads to liver or kidney failure. They can lower body temperature, adjust electrolyte imbalance, and monitor intracranial pressure. But their capabilities stop here, unless you want to discuss CBT.

They cannot influence the progression of recovery - they can only recommend a lifestyle and offer a time-frame. Some doctors foolishly prescribe SSRIs, but those with experience with MDMA do not. The fact is, we do not have enough peer-reviewed literature to develop a successful treatment...yet.

Speculation is often a precursor to research, so there should be room for it...
especially if science fails to deliver all the answers.

I do not buy into conspiracy theories on vaccines, aspartame...not to mention flouride-toothpaste or chlorinated water. But I don't blindly dismiss them either.

Enough flouride or chlorine is known to cause harm...anything can be overdone.

Thimerisol, a mercury compound found in ONE common vaccine, is thought to be a possible culprit for neurological disorders in children. While the connection is NOT statistically significant, some parents SWEAR that their child was normal and talkative until the days immediately following their vaccination. When the child is rendered suddenly silent and experiences disturbances in behavior, the parents are right to suspect the vaccine.

No, this does mean all vaccines are now suspect as some stupid people would assert. But there MAY be a connection here that has resulted in tragedy for many families. The absence of hard, 'peer-reviewed', statistically significant data does NOT end the debate. Doctors and scientists do NOT have all the answers, especially when it comes to biology. Perhaps only a small portion of children are susceptible....perhaps there is a narrow window of opportunity in development. Who knows?
Not I, not you.

And natural sweeteners...
There is some evidence to suggest that these molecules, which are often 1000 times sweeter than sugar, can increase certain chemicals in the body, such as chlorine or formaldehyde. This was told to me by an RN of 20 years, who heard it from doctors. He also went on to dismiss some of the concern by saying 'the body is designed to handle a lot of things.' Eating pork or peanut butter can also result in the permanent introduction of certain viruses or bacteria into your body...

I do know that sweeteners prime the brain to receive a sugar load that never arrives. Personally I don't like the way they make me feel. I also find it to be a rather poor substitute for healthy diet that is practiced by many fat Americans.

People can run amok with just about any piece of data.
Much of the speculation is laughable, but we can't dismiss it all.
Some little kids probably have been seriously fucked up by thimerisol.
We won't know the real epidemiological evidence on sweeteners until they have been in use for a few decades...

Science is patient and may one day reveal the real answers to all of this speculation. Hopefully it will also reveal a lot more about the interaction between drugs and the brain. Perhaps epidemiological evidence will emerge as the first generation of MDMA users reaches old age.
We will just have to wait and see...

For now, I am willing to consider the debate suspended.
You have made your points, albeit much more concisely than mine.
So, sure....good day.

But FirstBad's main point is that MDMA abuse can lead to dire consequences and profound changes within a person's brain. And that the line between abuse and prudence is much thinner than some suppose. Are you prepared to argue this?

No one seems to have suggested this. We are opposed to the use of magical thinking to justify the belief.

Since HPPD is a subjective experience there exists very little data on its causes. Perhaps threads on HPPD simply do not belong in your forum.
Then you could avoid 'fabrication' artists, like myself.

Yeah, because there is very little research on subjective experience. Migraines, anxiety, paranoia, psychosis, etc, subjective experience with very little data on their causes...

We won't know the real epidemiological evidence on sweeteners until they have been in use for a few decades...

Aspartame has been on the market since 1974. That's, what, 37 years?

Hey there, Hammilton...

This is fun, isn't it?

Cat likes to drop in occasionally and see what I'm up to.
He is just offering support for me in return for the support I have given him.
You see, people that have suffered severe reactions from MDMA, regardless of the cause, like to hear strong assertions and definitive opinions - even if it looks like 'magical thinking'.
They just want answers.

Members of the Advanced forum have not been able to offer even a fraction of the consolation that I have to a select few BLers.
Magical or not, I am helping people.
About two dozen in just 6 months...

Maybe this just isn't the right place for them to go.
That is why I hang out in ED, anyways.

There are plenty of psychotic disorders that are beyond the understanding of medicine.
This does not mean they are not real and implanted in the physical world.

IBS, for example, is a confounding medical condition that defies understanding.
Patients are often extremely psychologically disturbed, to the point of abusing medical resources.
Doctors have shown that digestive processes can directly cause psychotic symptoms, such as distension of the intestinal wall.
They have also shown that mental distress can lead to abnormal intestinal function.
This inverse relationship is difficult to understand.

I bring this up because MDMA damages part of the 'brain-gut' connection.
I firmly believe that the intestines are 're-wiring' the brain.

Magical as it may sound, it may be correct.
There are plenty of subjective disorders that have yet to be elucidated by science.
This points to the limitations of science, NOT the validity of the subjects.

Some scientists know this, others dismiss what they cannot understand.
Labeling this 'magic' sounds pretty dismissive.
Might as well call me a 'witch'!

But like I said, this is fun...

Wow, I didn't know that disgusting aspartame has been around that long.
Perhaps there is nothing to worry about with it.
What about Splenda? Not such a long track record...