• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seroquel for anxiety?

alicialynn18

Greenlighter
So... I've been on Wellbutrin now for about close to 2 months and it has shot my anxiety and irritability up significantly. Also, I have lost weight which isn't good because I'm really thin so as it is. Also, it's hard to fall asleep. So I start going to a new doctor on Monday (insurance dropping the old one), and I'm thinking about asking for Seroquel. I'm figuring I can kill 3 birds with one stone with this drug. Do any of you have experience with an anti-psychotic, and do you think this will work for bad anxiety and irritability? I know it will obviously help for sleep (don't want to use my Xanax/Ambien script anymore, and haven't been). Heard it causes weight gain too... which will actually be a good thing for me.

I was prescribed Seroquel for anxiety and depression. It made me feel like a zombie. I couldn't think at all and was unable to function. I only tried for about 2 weeks before telling my doctor I couldn't stay on it. Mirtazapine worked well for me. It will help with your sleep, anxiety and appetite.

I've heard about Mirtazapine online on forums... is it easy to get prescribed if I would ask for it?

and... as sad as it is... feeling like a zombie almost sounds appealing right now... i'm so tired of feeling jumpy and emotionally extreme at just about everything that feeling numb doesn't sound quite so bad.

If you want to feel like a zombie, Seroquel will certainly do it for you.

Mirtazapine has almost no abuse potential, so you there shouldn't be a problem getting it prescribed if your doctor thinks it is an appropriate medication to treat your anxiety. And it does not cause any physical addiction, so there are no withdrawals or need to taper when you go off it. Most doctors certainly would prefer to prescribe it rather than benzos. Good luck!

I was prescribed mirtazapine for anxiety and it worked really well for me.
I tried SSRI's before that (granted wellbutrin isn't a SSRI, but it's still stimulating) and got a huge increase in anxiety from them.

Seroquel, for me, isn't exactly anti anxiety, more like it just feels like it shuts everything down, so it knocks you out at first, then you feel half alive and groggy for a day after. I always keep serrys on me but only use them when I really have to knock myself out after too much methamphetamine.

Seroquel is a horrific drug. Makes your exsistence pointless. Won't feel anything.

I also lost chunks of time, one time I took a dose at 7pm on a sunday, went to bed and woke up at 4pm the next day, sitting in my faculty's computer lab surrounded by worried looking friends. I had taken 2 buses and one train, also had a shower, gotten dressed and send some txt msgs, without remembering. That wasn't even the worst occurence before I discontinued it, much to the consternation (how dare I defy him?) of my idiot PM doc.

^^i know one pwerson that has been helped greatly by seroquel and he is bipolar...the other folks i know that have taken it said it was like being stripped of every emotion and feeling...they said they couldnt even feel boredom, their mind was a blank state...they didnt like it..lol..

I find seroquel useful for sleeping, but given the hangover the next day its only really that useful if your on stimulants or depend on drugs to sleep and don't want to waste anything good. I have never tried it for anxiety, I don't think it would be particularly useful for that purpose. If it were I imagine one would require very low doses or quite a tolerance to the stuff.

One of my old doctors tried to do this shit ( seroquel PRN ) instead of my usual clonazepam....I suppose it worked in a way, it zombified me and made me unable to think str8. Needless to say I found a new doctor.

I have moclobemide in the day but I found it difficult to sleep so I was prescribed a small dose 100-200mg of quetiapine (seroquel) for sleeping. This does seem to work very well for me. Daytime anxiety is now better because they have added pregabalin to the mix. All good so far.

Ppl are exaggerating, diff meds work diff for each person. I take Seroquel xr for insomnia and it works really well and I don't feel like a zombie the next I'm tired for two hours when I wake up but what sleeping med won't do that? I also take effexor for anxiety but just started 3 weeks ago so idk how that is yet hut I've heard good reviews so you could try that combo.

Yes it could work great, but is the risk worth it? Also I am not exagerrating at all, you can't make that judgement of other peoples input.

Depends on the dose as well. I only get 200mg and it lasts through until about an hour after I wake and not noticeable during the day. I guess others are on a much higher dose and have to take it night and morning.

If your anxiety is interlaced into manic-type episodes, or possibly because of them, Seroquel could be a good choice for you. It does have a bad hangover type effect for those of us that do not need anti-psychotics but take them for sleep and comedowns.

Seroquel isn't THAT bad. It's ok for helping ya get to sleep & it really doesn't have much of a hangover. I mean not compared to say... alcohol
Surprisingly, I found the OTC drug Phenergan which contains Promethazine which is a mild anti-psychotic to work better than Seroquel.

OTC sleeping pills are better for getting to sleep than benzos are IMO unless ya willing to take a large dose & obviously more than the typically prescribed dose.
Even when I first tried benzos they never really seemed to make me so tired I wanted to go to sleep.

If u can't sleep, go get some OTC sleep pills. Sedating anti-histamines. I know that Promethazine works well 75mg & u should feel tired (More than 30mg of Temazepam has ever made me)
It doesn't have the euphoria of benzos but who gives a shit about getting high if all u wanna do is get some sleep.
Oh I wouldn't take it every night though (Unless it works good for you), just till u get get your sleep pattern back to normal & get rid of whatever is causing u anxiety.

The 3 main OTC sleeping tablets which happen to be sedating antihistamines are: Doxylamine, Diphenhydramine & Promethazine.
I'm actually curious to know what ppl here think is the best antihistamine out of these 3 for getting a good nights sleep if ya happen to be gettin a bit of insomnia??

BTW for anyone who didn't know Seroquel (Quetiapine) is also an antihistamine.
Have a look at the list of antihistamines from wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihistamines

Last edited:
Serouel IS that bad. I have spoken to other people I know who have taken low dose seroquel for insomnia, they ALL say it kills all emotion and all of them (there were 3 i talked to not including myself) have lost chunks of time after starting seroquel. Consider if that is what you want and if there aren't better drugs available.

heh... atypical antipsychotics work great for my anxiety. I still remember my first dose of Geodon, it was quite wonderful.

A friend of a friend of mine was perscribed to take like 6 100's per day after he went nuts and lit his bed on fire and tried to piss on it to put it out. Before the scene was over he was jumping on the bed screaming. Anyway, he said the first time he took it he was knocked out on the floor of the rehab drooling. I met him later after he begun taking the pills and he was huge but apparently he was skinny b4 the pills. He talked really slow and apparently that was different before too. My friend said that shit totally changed his whole life...