Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

school has a lot to answer for!

muzby

Bluelighter
how much of your life has been shaped by your school?

i'm sorry, but kids cause more damage than they realise...

for me personally, i was a very smart child... i taught myself to read at the age of two, was amazing at mathematics and was always reading at a couple of grades above my level.... my teacher was discussing jumping me ahead a year...

but, as i got older, i realised that being smart made you a target.... other kids would pick on you, push you to the outer or just make fun of you...

i learned that to be popular, you had to be the one who answers back to the teacher... you had to be the one to stuff around in school... you had to be the one who beat up weaker kids....

i went from being top of my year to just being average, which allowed me to fit in...

but really, what is school anyway? some wierd sort of social setup where you think everything counts....

you have to do what the other kids are doing.. you have to do what is "cool" to gain some wierd sort of social acceptance in the mini society that is your school....

a kid who is branded a loser in school may actually be a really nice person, yet, because you dont want to be left out of the group, you avoid them...

you may really like a girl, but if she's a bit different, or not popular, you wont go out with her...

but really, a couple of years after school, none of this seems to matter.....

you run into your tormentors from school, and they either try and act friendly, or just back down..

the "nerds" actually make a success of themselves.....

all this 13 years of torment and social teaching gets thrown out the window....

and for me, its taken nearly 10 years for me to start realising my intellectual potential, which i had hidden away under a disguise of comedy and arrogance, and to start building up who i should have always been...

(and yes, this is a personal opinon, i'm sure there are others who see school differently, so please feel free to comment... just dont flame me for being open...)

I think school has a MASSIVE effect on us...how could it not, it's where we have most of our social development until we're adults...

I was definitely the social outcast person--I never fit into any neat little school clique, and it fucking did my head in. It wasn't until I was an adult that I'd started dealing with that and learning to like myself. And I know lots of people who feel the same way.

I really think our education system needs to concentrate maybe a little less on teaching kids obscure facts about history that they'll never need to remember, and a little more on teaching them how to develop their self-esteem, confidence, and their ability to live in the real world.

Last edited:
I think at school, I was very much the same as you muzby, I was in top classes when I started... but ended up in the middle.... because being smart and being in the top just wasn't getting me anywhere in "life".....

Last edited by a moderator:
It just depends on the skool and at what year level. I found that in Year 10-12, the intelligent people weren't outcast very much. Whereas Years 9 and prior I found that studious people were treated poorly. I remember going to a very small primary school (180 people) and I had read the entire school library by mid-Year 3. When I told the teachers that I was bored and wanted something new, they told me to go and play sport instead. Ever since then, instead of being a top of the class English student I fell down to almost to the bottom in three short years. I've struggled with English ever since, but I am not bitter about my schooling experience at all.

Oh please. EVERYONE thinks that they were a 'social outcast' in school. Get over it.

i was kinda similar to what i am now in school, and i think i learnt my distaste for authority through that. i was the class clown kid, and always trying to piss the teachers off and so on.

in turn i was treated like shit by all the crappy teachers, whilst all the good teachers attempted to figure out how to actually make me learn (little did they know i was actually subtely paying attention when they weren't looking ;)).

so now i hate people who judge others entirely on appearances, and have an ingrained respect for those who buck the system.

and no, i didn't like school. i used to get into a lot of trouble.

I've just gone and edited/deleted any posts which have nothing to do with the question asked in the initial post.

This might come as a shock to some of you, so hold tight, but here are some relevant facts I feel like sharing:

*This is a DISCUSSION BOARD. muzby posted a topic for DISCUSSION. If you don't like the topic, if you don't like the poster, I don't really give a shit. It's your choice to open this thread and if you can't be mature enough to treat the discussion and the poster with respect, then here's an easy solution: don't post anything. Nobody is forcing you to, and I'm not going to have someone being insulted just because they have the audacity to start a topic that certain people might feel isn't worth their time.

*This board doesn't exist so that people can have a forum for their personal vendettas, nor does it exist so that they can have their frankly infantile egos stroked. Refer to previous comment: you don't like someone or approve of their approach to posting here? Fine. Put them on ignore if you have to, I don't really care. But don't use this place as your personal soapbox to vent at somebody just because you don't like his/her views.

If this bullshit keeps up, further action will be taken. I don't see any reason that a perfectly good thread needs to be closed because a few posters can't follow the very basic and non-intrusive rules that we have here.

I used to be smart.. then I failed. After I found chemical utopia no less. I belive being smart all my life made me complacient and reluctant to do the work on the grounds that subconiously I belived it was below me.
I went to a selective highschool, got great marks in year 10 and school cert, and in year 11 just went into a downward spiral of working to party. Now im going back. I dont know if its out of my system but im willing to try.

Also, yes, I am part of the outcast subculture.

when I went to school (high school) in year 7, 8 and 9 I knew (most) of the stuff they taught.... (in year 9 they were still teaching how to read properly) and I already knew it..... I didn't want to sit there and "pretend" I didn't know how to read and when I said "hey, I can do this" the teacher basically shut me down and told me to shutup....

I honestly think people learn more in life in day to day activities rather than going to anyway "school" and be forced to "learn" stuff they have absolutely no interest in...

I'm a smart guy, and when I was at school I had fairly good grades. Yet everyone still knew me and spoke to me. Even the so-called 'popular' kids. I was an eclectic kid at school, everyone knew me and I knew everyone else. i only really stuck by a certain 3 or 4 people throughout my life. I think in the country, teenagers/kids really don't work on who is smarter or who is the loser of what group. It was more about who you knew, and what goss you could get on them about the weekend... Is this making sense?

School was the most hilarious/ degrading social situation I've ever encountered. The most popular girl in school now works full time at sportsgirl. The most unpopular girl will graduate next year as a doctor... funny isn't it.

I like neither of the aforementioned girls but at least I can laugh at the irony.

I was always victim of the 'frenemies'. Those horrible girls who were your friends but always made a point of checking what you got for EVERYTHING and acting smug if they'd bet you (which was hardly ever ;) )

A bit of healthy competition never did anyone harm .. but it shat me off ... there's enough pressure trying to be good for yourself without trying to beat other fuckheads.

How this has effected my life ... i refuse to say. ;)

God..school, I've only been out of the place for two weeks.

So I can't say how it's affected my life, but I do know one thing..I know I made a choice somewhere along the line to retain my somewhat intellectual nature rather than succumbing to the level of the in crowd.

I'm probably stronger for it, as I'll see in the coming years. I have to say, the company among intelligent friends was probably better (and more bizzare) than anyone that was socially popular.

I didn't gain acceptance from most, mainly just from the few people I associated with and several really great teachers over the years.

Having just left, being freed from my imposed social shackles only recently I feel that the social structure required to be socially accepted at school is perverse when compared to the real world.

And they were all gits, anyway. ;)

I feel sorry for (most/all) of you guys in a way. School was nothing but fantastic for me. I had the markings of being a social outcase (in stereotype). Long hair, listened to metal/grind (unpopular music), lived in a remote area but I was always immensely popular at school. In fact I think I wagged maybe one day ever. I wanted to go to school because of the social circle it involved. I found out where all the cool parties were being held etc.

Plus the fact I was the only year 7-8 to sit in the back seat of the bus (it was full of yr 12s) due to my cousin being yr 12 and everyone liking me cause I was funny + cool. I really loved my high school days (and primary school).

I had actually been to 3 different high schools (7+8 in melbourne) (9-11 at one school in geelong) yr12 at another for a shared campus thing. Plus I was the ONLY yr 12 from my school that sat with the predominant school students (i.e from that school). There were about 5-6 school students from my school at the campus we were at and they all got teased for being 'nerds'' and the such. Long story which I don't have time to go into but I was always the smartest kid in class (got dux for some subjects) but was always the most popular as well. It wasn't hard to stop people from initially teasing (for being smart) and show them 'the cool factor'. Then again, I'm always told I'm the exception to the rule.

^^^ don't feel sorry :)

whilst i didn't particularly like school, it didn't rub all the wrong way. i wasn't unpopular at all, and all of the good teachers got along fine with me.

and i wagged a lot of classes without getting in trouble.

it was just that there was a line, and i often stepped over it, leading to suspension, expulsion etc. but it never ended badly. and i got some of my best friends out of high school :)