• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Sassafras (SAFROLE brew)

Hmm. I really dion't know enough about pharmacology to be honest...but perhaps using plain PEA or even dl-phenylalanine could create "something" in combo with safrole. Either way, you need something to methylate it.... Tread cautiously. I think our livers can create alpha-methly compounds, but I am ver vague as to how or why or if, even. Maybe post in ADD?

I was thinking of adding DL-Phenylalanine not into the brew but taking it before hand. Didn't think of Phenylethylamine (but you can get bulk pure PEA for cheap), but DL-Phenylalanine could definitely work.

An easy solution would be using a sugar substitute like Equal because it contains DL-Phenylalanine and I would imagine I'll end up needing much of it to make the brew decent tasting.

Maybe moving this over to ADD is a good idea though, would like to keep it in the brew although I don't mind taking something before I drink it.

I'll move it over there (ADD) simply because our speculation, whilst very intriguing, may do harm :D

Shiftin'====>ADD

I know of folks who've consumed strong sassafras tea for it's flavour or medicine. I've drank it myself a few times, before my source for rootbark dried up. It tastes good, but isn't psychoactive, outside of the sort of indirect effect that many pleasant smelling aromatics can have on a person's mood. There are plenty of aromatic compounds that look sort of like phenethylamines. It doesn't mean that they will necessarily do things to you that will be like a phenethylamine high. The idea that you can hit the right combo of enyme inhibitors and wierd terpenes and stuff in a curry to make you trip off it is always a wild piece of speculation I've enjoyed thinking about though. A good garam masala can give you a wierd rushy feeling and bring your body temperature up, hence the name (garam=warm, masala=spice mixture).

As for toxicity I think that if the government is going to let people smoke and drink, yet ban sassafras for liver toxicity and carcinogenisis, they can go to hell. I wouldn't drink it every day, but I wouldn't be scared of it.

^So what you're basically saying is

My "MDMAyahuasca" isn't possible and I'll go through a lot of work without worthwhile results?

Yeah I feel fairly certain this is nonsense.

just taking phenethylamine or something isn't going to make this MDMA.

You need to attach a methylamine group AND an alpha methyl group.

^Uhm what are you talking about... everybody in this thread realizes this.

This has nothing to do with actually synthesizing MDMA by just "throwing random plants together." This is about combining certain plants, that contain specific compounds in a brew that would give an experience that would be similar to MDMA.

Last edited:
Apparently they don't

I hate when long threads get moved here because it just draws in people who have no idea what they're talking about.

^I think you just skimmed through this thread and for some reason got aggravated by what you thought you saw....

the active constituent of tarragon is also deemed to be "carcinogenic."

I think this reason has been used against safrole to try and clamp down with the legislation, possible scaremongering.

Chloroform is also carcinogenic and is added to cough syrup.

I really see no reason why sassafras flavoring of root beer should be banned.

^there's a trip report on erowid.org, positive experience.

Actually all the experiences on erowid.org are positive experiences, and make out Sassafras to be worthwhile.

Which confuses me as to some of the posts in this thread, because they directly conflict...

If you're going to to it, fucking do it already and quit asking about it and then arguing with people that tell you it isn't going to work. You will not die from acute effects. You will experience psychedelic placebo combined with the effects of slamming your body with a toxin. Enjoy.

^This isn't true according to the trip reports though. (Way Up There)
Isolated non-placebo "controlled" reports from a couple discrete individuals and a larger consortium of "reports" from stoned teenagers typing bullshit into the tubes does not constitute real empirical evidence. As a friend of mind likes to put it: the plural of anecdote is not data.

In summary: "sass" is a slang/street term for MDMA blended with an unknown amount of MDA (and likely some unreacted precursors, because the final product was never properly cleaned and recrystallized). The existence of this slang does not mean that chugging liters of safrole (3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl-propene) will cause an MDA-like experience. Given how virtually translucent and 'non-altering' (in the psychedelic perceptual sense) empathogens are, it is so likely that in a large group of people trying this, some will exhibit genuine placebo responses. Same phenomenon as the so-called 'contact high.'

^So you're saying that it's a only a placebo and contact highs are a placebo... 8)

If you're going to to it, fucking do it already and quit asking about it and then arguing with people that tell you it isn't going to work. You will not die from acute effects. You will experience psychedelic placebo combined with the effects of slamming your body with a toxin. Enjoy.

relax, and safrole being toxic is not entirely factual

and please elaborate on this so called, "psychedelic placebo" that doesn't even make any sense

Myristicin and elemicin are phenylallyl derivatives present in nutmeg. The similarity of their chemical structure to that of mescaline or certain amphetamine derivatives has led to the assumption that the psychotropic effect of nutmeg in man is due to amphetamine derivatives endogenously produced from these phenylallyl precursors by bio-transformation. In our present study we investigated the metabolism of myristicin by rat liver, using the isolated perfused liver or incubation of liver homogenate. We have experimentally proved for the first time that rat liver is capable of converting myristicin into 3-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MMDA). Identification of MMDA was achieved by two-dimensional thin-layer chromatography of the dansylated amine and further by mass spectroscopy

No reason why safrole cannot undergo the same enzymatic conversion to MDA. I know a friend who took some safrole and tripped quite hard.

lOOK IF YOU JUST WANT TO DRINK THE TEA LIKE I SAID BEFORE.......go ahead its been done for thousands of years

Myristicin and elemicin are phenylallyl derivatives present in nutmeg. The similarity of their chemical structure to that of mescaline or certain amphetamine derivatives has led to the assumption that the psychotropic effect of nutmeg in man is due to amphetamine derivatives endogenously produced from these phenylallyl precursors by bio-transformation. In our present study we investigated the metabolism of myristicin by rat liver, using the isolated perfused liver or incubation of liver homogenate. We have experimentally proved for the first time that rat liver is capable of converting myristicin into 3-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MMDA). Identification of MMDA was achieved by two-dimensional thin-layer chromatography of the dansylated amine and further by mass spectroscopy

No reason why safrole cannot undergo the same enzymatic conversion to MDA. I know a friend who took some safrole and tripped quite hard.

lOOK IF YOU JUST WANT TO DRINK THE TEA LIKE I SAID BEFORE.......go ahead its been done for thousands of years

There have been a number of studies done on safrole's metabolism in order to understand it's mechanism of carcinogenesis, and none of them have indicated that it is metabolized into an amphetamine. Moreover, although that in vitro study showed a metabolism into MMDA by a rat liver, it is widely thought, due to what we know about the way many aromatics are metabolized in vivo by humans, that a conversion of myristicin into MMDA in humans is unlikely. Anyone who has taken a psychoactive dose of nutmeg knows that it's effects aren't even remotely like those of most psychedelic amphetamines.

Many aromatics are known to have psychoactive effects though. I wouldn't really be surprized if an overdosage of safrole could give somebody hallucinations in the same way things like myristicin and elemecin, or parsley oil can.

safrol couldnt be any more toxic than mda...

God why do I even bother. I really don't give a flying fuck about whether you can get high off of sassafrass, but it just seems that this subject seems to bring out the chemically ingnorant. You do realize that the salt you sprinkle on your food is made from two elements, Clorine and Sodium that are deadly toxic to humans:! When they are reacted they become non-toxic. It's called chemistry. As Rietman Zeta's friend said "the plural of anecdote is not data"

Why is this advanced again?

Last edited: