View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

San Pedro/Peruvian torch/peyote comparison

oliverfrank22

Greenlighter
Could someone who has experience with two or more of these cacti give a comparison as to the similarities and differences? I haven't tried any of them but I plan to in the not so distant future, and I'm wondering which I should get. Most likely it will be either San Pedro or Peruvian torch due to the legality of peyote, but I'm still curious about the differences in all of them. I know they all contain mescaline, but are there any differences in the effects or any other differences that are worth noting?

Thanks!

Trichocereus bridgesii = dreamy, sleepy, hazy, more "peyote/ayahuasca-like" experience

Trichocereus pachanoi/peruvianus = stimulated mescaline high, more "MDMA/XTC-like" experience

Lophophora (Peyote) = Most intense and psychedelic, contains the most actives, most entheogenic, etc.

I didn't realize there were difference between the trips... very cool.

I can confirm that san pedro is a stimulating, MDMA like experience.

I didn't know, the differences were so big!
And yeah. I have only tried Peruvian torch and it is very stimulating. It is impossible for me to fall asleep afterwards

Anybody know how pure mescaline feels like?

pure mescaline is most like T. pachanoi and T. peruvianus

but it's still different

i find it inferior to the combined effects of all the compounds in Trichocereus and especially Lophophora.

damn, teotz is back. If thats liek MDMA, i will be sure to grab some cacti for the summer to do the d-limonene tek. Why have you tried mdma teotz, its synthetic adn last time i checked, you said synthetic=bad

Last edited:
it is common knowledge that the effects are MDMA like... he hadn't need eat it to tell you that.

Last edited:
I did all sorts of drugs until I came to the conclusion that I should only ingest plants.

I've done DXM, MDMA, Oxycotin, all sorts of shit.

I've only been doing the "plants only" thing for about 2 years now.

Before that.... I did a little bit of everything.

it is common knowledge that the effects at MDMA like... he hadn't need eat it to tell you that.

Also very true.

pure mescaline is most like T. pachanoi and T. peruvianus but it's still different i find it inferior to the combined effects of all the compounds in Trichocereus and especially Lophophora.
Bullshit. Theres no way you've tried 100% mescaline let alone what I think of when I see "pure" mescaline(synthed mescaline). It would be possible I suppose if you found out the solubilites of all the other alkaloids in the cactus you could then be left with "pure" mescaline.

I've tried both San Pedro and Peruvian Torch and found them pretty similar. The only difference for me was the Peruvian Torch was slightly more intense at the same dosage. I havent been lucky enough to try pure mescaline or peyote yet.

To me pachanoi/pedro is very sedating and the trip feels like a waking dream. Peruvianus is much more stimulating, and the visuals seem to sparkle a bit more. I have yet to ingest loph spp.

I've found that while there are very potent torches out there, pedro is more consistent. I'm talking about the powdered product, not cuttings. I would say fresh pedro is my favorite to work with, but the powder is just more convenient and available.

I enjoy the cactus cocktail, and torch feels like it has fewer secondary alkaloids. I understand that lophs have the most, though I'm not sure who takes second between bridgesii and pedro. The main reason I'm interested in isolating the mesc is for dosing. If the cactus is weak it can waste a preplanned trip day, plus all the prep time. Still, it's relatively easy to fraction on off the darker alkaloids and ingest them along with a measured mesc dose.

Some of you seems to think plants produce the same effects as their main extracted active compound... this is incorrect.

Plants have their own unique make-up of compounds which leads to effects from different (tho similar) to just the isolated main active chemical.

This holds true in herbal medicine too. St John's Wort Hypericum perforatum was trialled against the extracted hyperforin and hypericin (believed to be the active ingredients indicated for depression and the study showed that the whole plant tablet worked better than the extract tablet. Compounds present in smaller amounts in a plant may have synergistic effects with the "main" actives. This can hold true for psychoactive plants like these cacti.

Peace, Ethnobot

I'm sorry, I call bullshit.

Mescaline could be comparable to MDMA (please don't use fake acronym XTC... it's retarded)
because of their chemical similarities (they are both phenethylamines).

However, I don't see how the mescaline from Peruvian Torch is different from the EXACT SAME MOLECULE in San Pedro or Peyote. Unless there are other psychoactive alkaloids in the plants, which I have never heard of, the effects should be the same.

Potency may vary which could explain a difference in strength. Presence of other components (such as tannins, for example) could either slow down or accelerate the absorbtion of mescaline, which would explain differences in the length of the trip and again the strength.

Example: One could say that coffee and tea offer rather different experiences. Tea being a lot mellower. This has been studied: they both contain caffeine as their active stimulant but the tannins in the tea slow down the absorbtion, stretching out the effect of caffeine on a longer period. Kind of like snorting vs. IVing. Also coffee has bowel irritation as a side-effect, which makes the experience different i'll agree, but not in a "differently psychoactive" way.

If you consider side-effects (digestion troubles, dry-mouth, etc...) to play a role in the overall experience then yes it can be different. But I believe that ultimately mescaline is mescaline and will offer the same effects from a qualitative point of view.

Psychedelics are so much influenced by mood set and setting that you will never be able to produce the exact same effects twice.

^ There are a couple of other mildly psychoactive phenethylamines in cacti. That's what's being talked about. I think the difference is greater than between coffee and tea, actually.

^Ok, that's pretty cool actually, did not know that.

Does anyone know what these specific compounds are? have these been tested seperately for their psychoactivity?

Can they be synthed and tried on their own?

So many questions.... just one life.

There are notable differences between San Pedro / Peruvian Torch / Peyote.

coffee and tea are different in the amount of caffeine they contain- still, it is all just caffeine.

edit: posted at exactly the same time. forget I wrote this.......

^Ok, that's pretty cool actually, did not know that.

Does anyone know what these specific compounds are? have these been tested seperately for their psychoactivity?

Can they be synthed and tried on their own?

So many questions.... just one life.

There is not a lot of information about this, and the data I find suggests most other alkaloids are inactive by themselves. However, that does not exclude the possibility of inactive compounds competing with mescaline at different binding sites, thus producing slightly different affinity profiles for mescaline depending on the ratios of compounds.

However, it seems you were more entitled to your criticism than I first thought. It could well be a subjective placebo effect we're dealing with, as far as my lazy research goes.