• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Salvia Nemorosa tincture?

Anonymous Dissident

Bluelighter
I just harvested about a pound of flowers, spires, and small, new growth leaves from one of my plants and am wondering if anyone has tried making a high strength EtOH tincture with it. My preferred ROA is generally quidding a few leaves or a not yet fully mature flower spire.

I have had good luck with smoking the dried flowers and leaves, but it is missing something compared to fresh material. I'm going to pick up some 95% EtOH this afternoon to try it out and I'm wondering if a tincture would be a better means by which to utilize Nemorosa during the off season. I'm hoping to preserve more of the volatile fraction than is possible with simple drying.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'll let the material soak for a few weeks in a cool dark place prior to filtering and giving it a go. I may try this with Russian sage when my plants flower in a month or so too.

I'll update this with my actual method(s) and how it goes as I get around to trying the concoction.

I started by freezing the salvia overnight I planned to use, as I do with any fresh plant I'm extracting, then ran about 4oz of flowers and spires through my nutribullet and added 95%EtOH to more than cover the plant material. It will now be placed in a mason jar to be left in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks, to be shaken at least once daily. Tomorrow, I'm going to do the same procedure on primarily leaves as I want to get a feel for both parts of the plant and how they compare in tincture form. Depending on my results, I may do a batch made from the root of a plant as well. More to follow.

Yea, I think grain Alcohol or lab-grade Ethanol are both able to make a totally viable tincture. You're not trying to turn it into a salt or anything, which would be a lot more complex. You like Salvia?

So is it psychoactive?
Yes, but not in the way it was hyped up years ago on E-Dot; ie as an opiate substitute. It's a consistently relaxing experience that is far superior to just about every other "legal high". It contains apigenin and other active polyphenols that act at GABA receptors in addition to several relatively unstudied alkaloids, several of which are CB2 agonists. It's very much like what blue lotus is claimed to do, a good mild but dependable experience.

It loses potency fairly quickly when drying, which is on one hand a pain in the ass, but on the other makes it essentially nonviable for unscrupulous vendors who let plants sit for months or years before shipping. That's why I'm trying the tincture form, not to try to sell, but to better preserve the volatile fraction that is quickly lost, leaving a still active but much less satisfying experience during the months that it doesn't grow.

This one isn't divinorum though.
Ah, I see. I wasn't paying attention. That's interesting, I wasn't familiar with nemorosa, but reading a bit about it suggests opioid-like effects and relief from withdrawal?!
I would imagine high proof alcohol would do just fine in creating a tincture. Do let us know how it goes (with pics if possible).

Here's an excerpt from a reddit thread about it along with a couple links to a shroomery thread and a drugs-forum thread about it for anyone wondering:
Most seasoned drug gardeners know that Salvia divinorum isn't the only type of sage with psychoactive effects. There are many salvias that affect the mind and body, such as Salvia splendens for example. Even common sage, Salvia officinalis, has stimulating and mildly psychedelic effects due to its thujone content.
But I have been researching a particular one called Salvia nemorosa. I became interested in other active salvias after my positive experiences with Salvia splendens, which I still smoke today, from time to time.
Based on some forum posts from years ago, this plant (two strains in particular, Caradonna and Superba) is active. Here are some excerpts from these posts.

1. SALVIA NEMOROSA- everyone pretty knows this one is active. Combining it with kratom it is powerfully overwhelming
2. Salvia nemorosa: Leaves and flowers reported to be analgesic when smoked, and to produce vivid dreams in addition when taken orally. The roots were also reported to be active. The Caradonna variety (sometimes reported as its own species) was found active, and the May Night variety was reported to be weak, while the Superba variety seems to be intermediate. - zombiesoul
3. S. nemorosa: 60-80% relief from 500-700mg/day morphine habit - Lemmiwinks
4. Salvia nemorosa - Salvia superbaby unknown author
This plant has been "calling out" to me for a while now. So... .2 gram was prepared for pyrolytic assay and consumed at 10:16 p.m10:19 fluidity becomes apparent. Unlike S.d. Like S.s. and S.c. space seems no longer empty.10:24 rug starts to melt. High and clear10:27 music sounds far away10:29 empty space full of energy. Two dimensional pattern becomes three dimensional10:40 colors seem "softer" and "richer". Time slows down.10:48 synaethesia: music is felt. Drift away on thoughts. Fall into music.10:56 cat looks totally psychedelic11:08 nicer and nicer11:15 cannabis: not felt. Salvia becomes stronger.11:18 plant tells me its name is "sue" compassion/euphoria. Want to jump for joy. Solarized. Beam of light radiates from heart.No further notes taken.
Links:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23949172
https://drugs-forum.com/threads/list-of-other-active-salvias.55957/
The plant is entirely legal and could be a great new drug.

Wow thanks for all the info all. I love new things discovered. I don't think we have even scratched the surface of what is out there in terms of medicine and effects. I have been reading this with great interest.

My concoction has taken on a deep magenta color. I added more EtOH as the brew had become almost opaque and I'm not sure how alcohol soluble some of the constituents are. I'll give it another week before straining out remaining plant material then assay for potency. I'd really love to standardize the Nemorosa experience, as strength of effects varies widely from quid to quid or bowl to bowl from the same plant.

Edit: I can confirm that the Cardonna strain is stronger than the more common May Nights variety. The May Nights variety has more cannibimemitic effects, Cardonna is more sedating but still no real opiate substitute.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. I wasn't paying attention. That's interesting, I wasn't familiar with nemorosa, but reading a bit about it suggests opioid-like effects and relief from withdrawal?!
I would imagine high proof alcohol would do just fine in creating a tincture. Do let us know how it goes (with pics if possible).

Here's an excerpt from a reddit thread about it along with a couple links to a shroomery thread and a drugs-forum thread about it for anyone wondering:

lolololo

they're both the same THING, WHAT HAVE I JUST READ!

aaaa tyy for the smileee

Does anybody know where I can find the old "Active Sages" database from about 10 years ago? The link I saved is invalid. If not, It might be time to start a new one. I have tried more than a few sages and have not found one that is completely inactive. My trials with S. Mohavensis have left me wondering if it isn't psychedelic (when smoked with a torch, one perceives a distortion of proprioception not unlike S. Divinorum leaves). S. Mohavensis definitely deserves more exploration, but my plant didn't survive a major hailstorm last year and I haven't found another. I hope to grow several next year.

Are you okay?
shady is always borderline OK/insane

he rides the wave like a champ

he's doing just fine, usually, he just has his own way of using words to communicate

very cool dude, and way more sane than he appears in writing

he's my personal shaman I rent him out

The brew was separated from the EtOH with cheesecloth and a press. 1ml was diluted with 5ml distilled water so I could use it sublingually and no effects were noted that were absolutely not placebo. I'm going to add about 30g of dried, crushed flowers and leaves (I can fit a lot more dry plant than fresh plant material) to see if I can't give the brew a more significant effect.

I don't think I mentioned this yet, but I'm making this tincture for sublingual use, seems easier than chewing a pile of leaves or flowers. I'm trying to get it potent enough that 1ml has a marked effect.

Interestingly, when I added the distilled H20, a precipitate formed, or at least the brew grew cloudy as the H20 was added. A close look showed that the substance causing the tincture to become cloudy is was crystalline. One must wonder just what compounds are in that precipitate... Maybe when I harvest my next batch of Nemorosa, I'll try to isolate the precipitate and try it, starting with mg level doses.

Blue lotus felt like a very mild gabapentanoid or something. Physically sedating but mentally a goofy stimulating effect. How does this compare and what ROA?

The degradation of active components sounds annoying/frustrating though.

Blue lotus felt like a very mild gabapentanoid or something. Physically sedating but mentally a goofy stimulating effect. How does this compare and what ROA?

The degradation of active components sounds annoying/frustrating though.
It's its own experience for sure, but the best wat to explain the effects is a low dose combination of schwag weed, codeine and ativan; though extremely different from any of the compounds listed. That's simply the best way I've heard someone try to explain the experience. Your description is not that far from the mark, but the mental effects are closer to cannabis than anything stimulating though. Tangential thought processes occur, but again it's nothing even approaching anything psychedelic.

As for ROA, I prefer to quid leaves and spires for the strongest effects. It doesnt taste too bad compared to a lot of ethnobotanicals with no discernible effects. Making a tea out of fresh flowers the other day provided an experience close to that of sublingual absorption. Smoking the flowers is still an effective ROA as long as they're relatively fresh. Smoking dried leaves doesn't taste as good as smoking the flowers but will still give an enjoyable, if mild, experience when smoked. I'll update right away once I get a feel for if the tincture holds a candle to quidding fresh flower spires.

I'm making the tincture, which is now dark almost to the point of being opaque. I'm going to macerate this batch of dried flowers before again straining them out and trying the concoction again. I want the tincture to be strong enough to be fully active at 1ml or less, because I need to dilute it with distilled H20 so I'm not trying to sublingually absorb 95% EtOH. I'll report back once I try a dose of the tincture, before adding a fresh batch of dried and fresh flowers to get it, ideally, to the strength I'm trying before.

Just a heads up, but I've seen posts being dug up from an old E-Dot member (zombiesoul) who was known for his apocryphal posting style. Some posts by that individual compare an alcohol extract (not tincture) caused him to nod off like one does from a strong opoid. It's just not like that. It does have some analgesic effect, but dont is expect a hardcore nod. Expect a nice, relaxing experience which often gets one happy and giggling while not perceiving the effects, similar to when someone tries cannabis for the and is obviously high but doesn't realize they're fairly stoned. It takes a couple of tries or an extremely preparation for many to get a feel for it.

Sorry for the long posts lol

I did a lot of experimentation with this one, and back then there were very few who’d tried it before me let alone documented it so well. All that info can be found under “Ghetto_Chem” at Drugs Forum.

I never saw the posts describing it as an opiate, but they’re dumb lol.

Its best described as kinda like a mix between a weak benzo and cannabis. I felt it was one of the closest plants I’d ever tried to cannabis, but still missing something. Definitely good to have when you run dry.

Besides apigenin, there’s a fair amount of b-caryophyllene. Which is one of the most common terpenes in cannabis, it hits on CB2.

It’s my theory that those of us who use cannabis habitually can at least cover some of those empty receptors with b-caryophyllene, making the “WD” less intense. Since it doesn’t hit CB1 it’s kinda like a maintenance drug for cannabis..

I did try extracts, but they were made with toluene. And only light experimentation, over a decade ago…. Hard to remember.

-GC

I currently have approximately 300ml of solution and 1ml has a mild, but definite effect. I'm going to soak another 1/4lb of dried flowers to try to up the potency. Its definitely more effective in this form than any other besides quidding fresh plant. I'll update this more as I work with it, so far so good!