• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Safest way to combine Dihydrocodeine and Benzos?

Forever Changes

Bluelighter
yeah, I know, the safest way is... don't!

But that aside, to what extent do Benzos like Alprazolam (Xanax) and Clonazepam magnify the potential sedative effects of Dihydrocodeine? I use DHC instead of codeine because it's not a prodrug and I believe I lack the enzyme necessary to metabolise codeine properly.

I tried 240mg DHC + 2mg Clonazepam but felt nothing of note. I will be sure to titrate the doses gradually and write down what I have taken and what time. I'll also take an antihistamine alongside in case of histamine release

If you’re chatting about cyp2d6 then youll have issues with DHC also.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Be careful interchanging Xanax and Klonopin. Give yourself a much wider window with the Klonopin before redosing (I'd recommend 4 hours at least). And keep the dosages of the two benzos separate wherever you're writing it down.

Well it does go through cyp3a4 as well actually.
Tramadol metabolises though cyp2d6 and cyp3a4.

so is there anyway in knowing if I will metabolise Codeine, DHC or Tramadol properly, or is it just pot luck?

Might I have more luck with DHC than codeine?

cheers

Last edited:
and also might drinking grapefruit juice help, as I've heard polar-opposite advice on GFJ?

so is there anyway in knowing if I will metabolise Codeine, DHC or Tramadol properly, or is it just pot luck?

Might I have more luck with DHC than codeine?

cheers
Honestly the only way to know for sure is gene testing. If you have legitimate pain and DHC doesn’t work then you’d have to go back and mention it to your dr, maybe just say you think you have issues with metabolising it.

Just don't fall asleep on the substances to be safe and you'll be golden as long as you don't combine whopping doses of of either.

I know that people die from this combination many times (alprazolam/painkillers) but most of those folks honestly took a lot... no judgement but they really didn't need to get that high and that anxiety free in one go. Methadone and xanax tends to be the real culprit of the interaction being lethal. I think it's often forgotten how long lasting methadone is--so you can't just forego any HR and throw in xanax with methadone unless you really know your body's limits.

Just don't fall asleep on the substances to be safe and you'll be golden as long as you don't combine whopping doses of of either.

I know that people die from this combination many times (alprazolam/painkillers) but most of those folks honestly took a lot... no judgement but they really didn't need to get that high and that anxiety free in one go. Methadone and xanax tends to be the real culprit of the interaction being lethal. I think it's often forgotten how long lasting methadone is--so you can't just forego any HR and throw in xanax with methadone unless you really know your body's limits.

I don't have any methodone, so no worries there. I'll try 300mg of DHC with a couple of 1mg Xanax's

I don't have any methodone, so no worries there. I'll try 300mg of DHC with a couple of 1mg Xanax's

Oh don't worry about that. It's always someone's grandma for some reason who dies of the whopping xanax/methadone combo. They shockingly do know how to get the good drugs.

I've actually never tried DHC. How does it compare to oxy? I'm not sure why codeine would ever be better to prescribe other than it's potentially less addictive? (but still addictive as phuck).