• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

Jesus that is some dedication!! I was hoping to get sub 3:30 for my first marathon (before it canceled due to Covid that is) and I thought that would be stretch lol

ah yeah i suppose I’ve just been doing it for so long I’m used to it. I never eat a full meal before running obviously but bananas, oatmeal bars, nuts, dried fruit etc I can handle just fine

on trail runs the quinoa and bean burrito is my staple lol
Trail runs are my favourite too! Plenty of them in Ireland we are spoilt.

Trail runs are my favourite too! Plenty of them in Ireland we are spoilt.
Ohio is not so bad for trails actually

since I moved further south in the state for school, I’m closer to the Appalachian range. It’s mostly foothills within any reasonable driving distance from me but still nice, desolate wilderness areas

ocne I get a bigger car that I can camp with I have some road trips planned to mountains I wanna summit. Plenty of 20-40 mile trails up mountains that can be done in a day. But alas they are 6+ hrs away

Ohio is not so bad for trails actually

since I moved further south in the state for school, I’m closer to the Appalachian range. It’s mostly foothills within any reasonable driving distance from me but still nice, desolate wilderness areas

ocne I get a bigger car that I can camp with I have some road trips planned to mountains I wanna summit. Plenty of 20-40 mile trails up mountains that can be done in a day. But alas they are 6+ hrs away
We have some great skyline races in Ireland.

I’m in for this next one too:

35k race with 3370n accumulative ascent. It’s always good fun.

We have some great skyline races in Ireland.

I’m in for this next one too:

35k race with 3370n accumulative ascent. It’s always good fun.
Fell running is the term for it over there isn’t it? I think I saw a documentary about it once

Qualifying for Leadville or western states 100 is a goal of mine

Fell running is the term for it over there isn’t it? I think I saw a documentary about it once

Qualifying for Leadville or western states 100 is a goal of mine
You’re young and already have a good base, it’ll be no problem for you.

Thanks lol just gotta pray for no injuries!
Hey, I’ve had loads of injuries, it’s the price of playing the gamHaha! Just about how you manage them, rest ice compress. Hard to do but the best thing.

You’ll be all good kid! Let us know how you’re getting on in this thread, be good to see!

Hey, I’ve had loads of injuries, it’s the price of playing the gamHaha! Just about how you manage them, rest ice compress. Hard to do but the best thing.

You’ll be all good kid! Let us know how you’re getting on in this thread, be good to see!
Lol that it is!

I’ll keep something of a sporadic log here in the thread. Just to check in every now and then

Ah here, when I started to run I literally did a couch to 5km. The distances I did were literally for marathon training and because I wanted sub 2:30 time.
oh that's cool!! though you were starting from a base of reasonable fitness, but less than 2.30 is mental. 10k takes me over an hour lol, but i'm already 15 mins faster than when i started doing 10ks in january. i wanna get it down a bit more then go for longer distances. just can't be arsed spending my entire weekend running- i mostly do it so i can go hiking with ease.

As you know all about obsessiveness that comes with an ED it also seeps into other areas of your life and running was just one of those areas. I actually eat more because I run so my medical team always let me do it.
that is great that you eat more because of it. win win.

the obsessiveness is exactly why i don't take the running too seriously. i have been quite badly addicted to exercise. at one point i 'had' to walk 8 hours a day and it was fucking awful, plus i missed that goal maybe 1 day out of 3 which was also insanely painful. i just don't have the time for that now.

I run keto, there’s no way I could run with food in my stomach, in fact it took me a long time to even be able to run with water in my stomach.
ditto. first couple of park runs i tried eating at least something before, just made me wanna retch halfway through. water i can't do without though, i get anxious if i don't have water to hand even for 5 minutes lol.

must say i am jealous of you two doing trail runs. i don't drive and live in an inner city. right by a massive park at least, but i love running near my parents where there's actual countryside. though i think if you're going places you haven't seen before walking is better, i hiked in tierra del fuego and there were loads of running groups, in the most outstanding scenery and remote enough that you're unlikely to go again. seemed like a waste.

Yeah grew up playing soccer so I developed a pretty solid cardio base from 16 years of playing at a decently competitive level. I did some triathlon stuff the summer after graduating high school which is mad fun but I find the culture of that sport to be a bit pretentious at times + bikes are fucking expensive
ha yeah i have a friend who'se in to triathlons, he does multiple iron mans a year. its fucking nuts.
my lungs probably took some damage from heavy marijuana smoking in high school but now I’ve cut back significantly on marijuana and I try to stick to edibles or vaping

I’m only 19 I figure I have time to heal myself lol
at 19 you'll be fine!!! you are doing WAY WAY better than i was at your age. though that's a pretty low bar lol. i will be interested to see how your training works out.

just got 4 mins off my 10k time without even really trying til the last 1.5k. legs were feeling a bit tired before i even started so wasn't intending to push myself at all. 17 mins faster than my first 10k this jan.

only problem now is i doubt i can get much quicker without improving my 5k time (if i took another 5 mins off i'd be at exactly double my 5k time), which is a more difficult somehow, tried twice this week and failed.

whats super annoying is that i'm still doing 5k about 25s slower than when parkrun was on. despite me having more than doubled my weekly mileage and not had any cigs for over a year now, plus an extra year for my lungs to recover from all the crack/heroin/weed. having a watch that tracks me helps but i need that competitive edge of running in a group to really push myself.

just got 4 mins off my 10k time without even really trying til the last 1.5k. legs were feeling a bit tired before i even started so wasn't intending to push myself at all. 17 mins faster than my first 10k this jan.
Good shit. That’s a big chunk to take off!

one of the biggest things that’s helped me to raise my ceiling is speed workouts. Find a track and do .5-1 mile repeats at 85% max effort. After a few weeks of those you’ll be feeling strong, trust me lol

running in a group does really help. Especially when running with a group of strong people it helps you really push without thinking about it.

my own training has been good this week. First “official“ week of this 50k training block. been actaully documenting all my workouts in a log so far. We’ll see how long that lasts lmao, some days I just don’t wanna write anything up but it def is a helpful tool

hey @thegreenhand how is your training going?

i had a weekend of binge drinking and opiates so done nothing since thursday. suffering for it now, hoping to make it out for a little jog before work tomorrow.

what shoe brands do you guys go for? i bought some new balance running shoes in december, having had a pair before that i was happy with, they were like £100 so i expected them to be decent but they are already getting a hole in them!! i have probably run 180k in them and with walking too they've maybe done 250k total. i feel like i should have got longer than barely 3 months.

maybe when lockdown is over i'll go somewhere that does proper gait analysis and see what they recommend, but in the meantime any recommendations? ideally should come in black cos my leggings are all horrendously garish and i don't wanna look too stupid.

i had a weekend of binge drinking and opiates so done nothing since thursday. suffering for it now, hoping to make it out for a little jog before work tomorrow.

what shoe brands do you guys go for? i bought some new balance running shoes in december, having had a pair before that i was happy with, they were like £100 so i expected them to be decent but they are already getting a hole in them!! i have probably run 180k in them and with walking too they've maybe done 250k total. i feel like i should have got longer than barely 3 months.

maybe when lockdown is over i'll go somewhere that does proper gait analysis and see what they recommend, but in the meantime any recommendations? ideally should come in black cos my leggings are all horrendously garish and i don't wanna look too stupid.
I have a few different shoes tbh. I bought the new Adidas trail shoes as I run trails the most. I had solomons but they have really gone down hill in quality.

I wanted to say that I always found the best way to get my times lower was to do long slow runs. I’d do 15km runs at weekend, slow, no racing and it increased my 5k time loads. Tempo runs help too.

pretty good. just been doing lots of slow long runs. i can normally squeeze two trail runs or so in per week, the rest are on road. been slammed since starting a second job so not as much to train as i'd like. probably at like 35ish miles per week. gonna be slowly increasing that. will probably peak my first two weeks of may as that's one month out from race day and i have no school after april ends so i'll have hella free time.

as for shoes, i actaully just got a pair of salomon speedcross 5 but those are a trail shoe. cant speak to the quality yet as i've only done a few runs in them yet. but @MsDiz is scaring me with her experience with salomon lol.

i know nike gets a lot of hate but the pegasus are one of my favorite shoes of all time. perfect for road runs, though probably not ideal for race day (a bit clunky)

pretty good. just been doing lots of slow long runs. i can normally squeeze two trail runs or so in per week, the rest are on road. been slammed since starting a second job so not as much to train as i'd like. probably at like 35ish miles per week. gonna be slowly increasing that. will probably peak my first two weeks of may as that's one month out from race day and i have no school after april ends so i'll have hella free time.

as for shoes, i actaully just got a pair of salomon speedcross 5 but those are a trail shoe. cant speak to the quality yet as i've only done a few runs in them yet. but @MsDiz is scaring me with her experience with salomon lol.

i know nike gets a lot of hate but the pegasus are one of my favorite shoes of all time. perfect for road runs, though probably not ideal for race day (a bit clunky)
I have Nike Pegasus too for road runs and I LOVE them!

I have Nike Pegasus too for road runs and I LOVE them!
yep i've been running in em for the past 3 years or so and they're my favorite shoe. the trail version is nice too, although not ideal for real technical trails.

have you tried the newest pegasus 37? my last three pairs have been 34s but i'm gonna be needing a new pair soon and i see a good deal on them rn actually

have you tried the newest pegasus 37? my last three pairs have been 34s but i'm gonna be needing a new pair soon and i see a good deal on them rn actually
Not yet actually but they did catch my eye!! Defo need to update mine because there’s high mileage on my current ones.

Not yet actually but they did catch my eye!! Defo need to update mine because there’s high mileage on my current ones.
yep saw some for $80 when they are $130 retail. i'll probably order them. i'll leave a review if/when i try them out

I wanted to say that I always found the best way to get my times lower was to do long slow runs. I’d do 15km runs at weekend, slow, no racing and it increased my 5k time loads. Tempo runs help too.
i am going to try that this weekend, i was planning to wait until i'd got a bit faster before upping my distance cos i don't wanna be running forever, but is worth a shot.

that sucks about the salomon shoes, i have their hiking boots and i love them. unless i decide to go nuts for wet weather hiking (i'm a fair weather everything, but live in manchester lol) can't see myself ever needing another pair.

as you have both recommended them i will try out the nike pegasus, i guess running around the park is more like a road run than a trail run. thanks so much for the advice!!

going to try and get out now before work, will be painful cos i've not slept and not feeling very well but think its better than not even trying.

@thegreenhand 35 miles per week is a long way!! especially around studying and two jobs. well done!