• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

Excellent bump C0TB :)

Those shoes look pretty boss, and I'm so glad to hear they are helping your shin splints!!

I'm hoping to run my first full marathon this year. I was planning for July, but that particular event is away from my home town and none of my family/relatives or even my boyfriend are able to travel with me to support me, so I'm re-aiming for the September marathon in Sydney. It might sound like a cop-out, but it's my first marathon ever and I'll need support to get through it, so I'd prefer to be doing it with at very least my boyfriend there at the end to cheer me on!

In the meantime I'm really enjoying my high-intensity interval training sessions with my new PT :)

bump.gif

I recently purchased a pair of Mizuno running shoes (with inserts to support my high arches). I've found they have really helped my shin splint problems and makes running a lot more comfortable.

NSFW:
47605.jpg

PI, I hear your getting some new kicks - care to share some running shoe pr0n? ;)

Pssssssst... Did you ever try learning how to run on your tip toes?

does anybody have any interesting car or dog stories?

I am currently organizing a Hate Group dedicated to the vilification of people who don't use their turn signals.

does anybody have any interesting car or dog stories?

I am currently organizing a Hate Group dedicated to the vilification of people who don't use their turn signals.

count me in!

I'm less than a month away from my first 10k! yeyy super excited! I'm doing 1h20min for the whole 10k. Not much, but I started running about 6/8 months ago, so I guess that even finishing the race without throwing up would be a success. I don't own running shoes, not 'real' running shoes at least. I run on topper pulsar II and I love them but I'm thinking of getting an upgrade. I run on these, what do you think of them?
190x190_111968_1.jpg

(MODS: I can't seem to get the image to show, could you do it? =) )

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ That's awesome max!! Good work man! 10K is great, and 1hr20mins is a perfect goal for your first event. You might be surprised, usually with the adrenaline and spectators cheering you on during the actual event, you usually run faster than planned. I've broken ALL of my expected time goals in actual events. Good luck, and let us know how you go!! :)

PI, I hear your getting some new kicks - care to share some running shoe pr0n? ;)

Girl, how did you know I would pop in here?!
430352_10151355509805447_831465446_23226982_1197221548_n.jpg

Test run today. It felt wonderful. I was jumping and bounding. So light with a solid feeling of protection.

My first 10K trail marathon April 14, 2012
http://www.mountainjunkies.net/Mill_Mountain_files/Mill_Mountain_Profile.pdf
My best time was a 1hr 18 min... I think. I haven't run it in months just segments due to the darkness.
DST means daily opportunity for a post work trail run

My name is PI and I am a running nerd.

Oh PI you know how I feel about those shoes. They are sporty SEX, lady. Glad they're doing the trick for your feet! I find it amazing how much impact quality gear can make. When I feel comfortable and supported (from breasts to feet) I perform so much better.

That reminds me, it's about time for me to invest in a new sports bra. Any well-endowed ladies have some recommendations? I have a narrow waist and chest, but boobs on the bigger side. They really need to be controlled while I run otherwise I get some pretty awful pain.

Actually maybe this could be made into a brand new thread? /searches archives

... None of you people are ever allowed to tell me my shoes are weird ever again. My shoes are normal compared to those.

Congrats on doing your first trail run in April. Since you're always doing it anyway, I know you're going to do great. <3

Pssssssst... Did you ever try learning how to run on your tip toes?
After reading so many contradictory articles on the correct running 'strike' or how the foot 'should' land I was just about ready to explode. So many views, so many reasonings, so much science - but nothing totally conclusive!

Imagine my utter and total relief when I read this article (apologies if it's been quoted and discussed before).

It goes through a lot of evidence including a study done on elite runners during a race in 2004. I read the commentary with such interest - it really feels like this author is speaking from my confused corner, constantly asking 'but why am I meant to do it this way?'

Long story short, the conclusion was:
Why would you want to change your foot landing to begin with? Science has little to offer you in support of this. And so my advice, having read this far (well done!), is to forget about the possibility that you're landing "wrongly", and just let your feet land where, and how they land, and worry about all the other things you can when you run!

And you know, I think I might just adopt this style of thinking. Obviously keeping my posture, shoulders, hips, knees etc in proper positions is important, but I would hope my natural gate would be effortlessly perfect for the speed I am running.

525891_10151659782020447_831465446_24093580_89698012_n.jpg

My second 10K (6.2 miles) trail race. 24th out of 111 runners Time 56:39.91 Pace 9:04/M.

My first one was in April which was the toughest course the mountainjunkies.net organizes at 6.35 miles (lil over 10K)
90th out of 185 runners. Time 1:01:25.50 Pace 9:40/M

Be considerate. Be safe. Be competitive.
I am hooked on winning.

I have been able to meet people at these events which was one of my goals this year. I am doing a group run at a local trail 5.3 miles on Tuesday after work :)

I don't know how most people can land on their heels when they run. Whenever I try to do that I feel like I'm hyperextending my knees. But landing on the front of the foot, besides feeling natural, gives you such a nice spring with each stride.

And you know, I think I might just adopt this style of thinking. Obviously keeping my posture, shoulders, hips, knees etc in proper positions is important, but I would hope my natural gate would be effortlessly perfect for the speed I am running.

However, when you wear different shoes, you land differently. Your body can change in an instant depending on the conditions it's presented. It's a good style of thinking to have, but that means you have to become attuned to your body. No more mindless running. :p

sciencey stuff

Ya, pretty much the best form is what keeps you from getting injured. There are pictures and video of really fast people with average, poor, or even really bad form. If your running form is allowing you to run without pain or injury, I would say don't fix what ain't broken. I do support the minimalist movement as the goal is to strengthen your lower leg and feet musclature--I own and run in a pair of Nike Free 3.0s, vibram fivefingers, among plenty of other flats. Right now though, I'm running in a "bulky trainer" while I get some muscle imbalances fixed that are causing pain to my knee. Shoes are a tool, choosing the right one involves circumstance.

Bringing this back from page three!

We had Corporate Challenge this past week and a picture was featured in The Buffalo News of the intermediate runners taking off from the start line for the 5K challenge between corporations in Western New York. I laughed when I saw this picture and couldn't help but mark it up as soon as I got home from work today:

CorporateChallengeRunners.jpg

All of the runners with red circles around their feet and knees are going to end up injuring themselves. If you look at their feet, you notice they are landing on their heels. Now, check out their knees. Every person whose knee I can see is locked up, which very highly increases their chances of injury. You have no idea how many people I saw at CC that had shiny, "ultra modern" sneakers on that were also wearing shin braces or knee guards or ankle braces.

In comparison, check out the runner I've made a green circle around. He's landing on the ball of his foot, which has forced him to keep his knee bent while he pushes through his stride, reducing his chance of injury.

Oh, and the guy with the orange circle? He's going to break his fuckin' ankle! That's almost a 60 degree angle...

The funniest part? The guy with the green circle is the only one NOT wearing "ultra modern" shoes.

/end rant

Who said it was the ultra-modern shoes that are preventing injuries?

All I know is my natural gait seems to be OK for me with my current shoes (together with high arch support inserts). They help my feet and ankles to feel secure and not roll the way they used to.

If people can achieve that from cheaper shoes, then I'm not adverse to that. I buy what feels comfortable and is recommended to my foot / stride type. Price doesn't come into it (although I assume higher price generally means better quality materials, meaning longer lasting footwear).

Also how can you tell Mr Green Foot's shoes aren't expensive ? :)

Heel striking alone is not going to injure a runner. The bony protrusion called the calcaneus, or the heel of your foot, is meant to assist in shock reduction/braking. While many superlative runners land flat footed or on their forefeet, there are many who don't. A common footstrike is one where you land on the outside of your foot and "roll" inward before pushing off of the balls of the feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZVhtPy4AMY This guy is running barefoot and still heel striking. Removal of shoes is not necessarily a quick fix for "bad" form.

I am not convinced that there is a proper way to run. It is en vogue to bash on cushioned and stability shoes, as they are termed.

Noureddine Morceli, ran a mile in 3:44 while heel striking.
NSFW:
images

Abdi Abdirahman, runs a half marathon in 61 minutes and heel strikes.
NSFW:
2008+Olympic+Team+Trials+Track+Field+Day+6+3zYJHQ7KlJPl.jpg

We didn't evolve to run with shoes on, this is true. We also didn't evolve to run on concrete or asphalt either.

I've been a runner for over a decade and have learned that injuries are far more likely to occur from training too much or muscular imbalances than from footstrike.

Who said it was the ultra-modern shoes that are preventing injuries?
Also how can you tell Mr Green Foot's shoes aren't expensive ? :)

I didn't say the ultra-modern shoes were preventing injuries. I said the opposite. Also, I KNOW Mr. Green Foot's shoes were expensive. I own two pairs. ;)

Heel striking alone is not going to injure a runner. The bony protrusion called the calcaneus, or the heel of your foot, is meant to assist in shock reduction/braking.

While many superlative runners land flat footed or on their forefeet, there are many who don't. A common footstrike is one where you land on the outside of your foot and "roll" inward before pushing off of the balls of the feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZVhtPy4AMY This guy is running barefoot and still heel striking. Removal of shoes is not necessarily a quick fix for "bad" form.

Yes, it's meant to assist in reducing shock and to help break and turn abruptly. However, what I see in that picture is most definitely NOT "assisting". Maybe your big toe is assisting in that kind of position, if you're lucky.

I understand that you can't just fix "bad" form. It takes time and an understanding of what you're doing. I've heard horror stories of people who have switched to "barefoot" shoes (REAL "barefoot" shoes, not Nike Frees, those aren't what I mean) and have ended up in the podiatrist's office with stress fractures and the like because they never took the time out to make sure that they adjusted their gait and form appropriately.

I read a story about a guy who went barefoot (no shoes) in a city. He actually attended classes on how to walk because he was unsure how he should walk without shoes.

I know heel striking alone doesn't cause all injuries. However, the types of shoes we wear tend to help us stay lazy in the way we perform. My comparison is equatable to comparing quality versus quantity when lifting weights. Yeah, you can lift that weight 30 times, but you do it so fast and with such terrible form that it's hardly doing anything for you. So you do more to compensate your "bad" form. This is what my comparison really is about. People honestly believe that buying those "air lifts" or whatever they're called types of shoes are helping them. I believe it's making them lazy, in a way and can, indeed, increase your chances of injury (note: this is on a physics-based analysis alone. Of course there are people that are going to break all odds and never get injured).

I am not convinced that there is a proper way to run. It is en vogue to bash on cushioned and stability shoes, as they are termed.

Noureddine Morceli, ran a mile in 3:44 while heel striking.
Abdi Abdirahman, runs a half marathon in 61 minutes and heel strikes.

Again, I'm not making assumptions that it makes you run faster if you go off the balls of your feet. I'm saying you are much less likely to sustain injuries in your knees by making the change to a different strike of your foot on the ground. It also works different muscles. I find that I avoid shin splits completely and that my calves get a better workout when running how I do now. Yeah, I can't go very far. I'm overweight. I'm not fast and I've never been a competitive runner. However, that does not mean I can't feel the difference in my stride, in my form and posture and in the overall workout.

You can't knock it until you try it. It takes easing into. Reading about it won't help you make that distinction between what seems like a good idea and what feels like a good idea. I've run both ways and can stick a preference now that I've tried both.

You can speak on one side of the argument. Until you try both, you can never really be sure.

Joggobot, The Companion Drone That Makes You Run Faster, Longer, Harder

Runners, you no longer have to convince your reluctant partner to put on sneaks and hit the streets with you, thanks to my new favorite drone: the Joggobot, a companion robot for runners. Using a built-in camera, the autonomous drone hones in on sensors in a custom shirt and exhorts you to keep up with it.

“People might feel chased if the Joggobot was behind them,” says researcher Eberhard Grather in a video. So instead your little drone friend flies in front of you.

Floyd Mueller and Grather, researchers at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology in Australia, tricked out the Parrot AR Drone, which is usually operated with a smartphone, to fly autonomously. You can set it for companion mode — in which the drone flies at a steady pace — or coach mode, “which sets a slightly more challenging speed,” reports WiredUK. (Coach mode sounds suspiciously like the fake rabbit used on dog race tracks.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...rone-that-makes-you-run-faster-longer-harder/

joggobot.jpg