• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Rolling veins... advice???

Mrs.Nunya75

Bluelighter
Very new to IV and my veins are rolling!!! Any advice? I have thin veins that are only visible below the elbow. My vascular view is quite difficult to see on the upper arm. I have my husband trying but with no success. He can successfully do himself. I’m just not there yet to try it myself. A friend has been able to keep them from rolling but he’s not always available. I’d welcome any suggestions or tips! Thank you!

First up, get a new 29-31G needle, NEW! Put on a garot, wait 1min, make sure your arm is stretched right, not vertical nor horizontal, so that the needle can be kept horizontal which helps with aiming. If the veins are "on the surface" as if in they are "on" the skin not "beneath" or "levelish" to the skin, you can try to keep them from rolling by putting two fingers on either side of the vein, no pressure, and shoot inbetween. Anyway, how'd it go?

75 for age or city? If you're in Paris go get a Kit+ or a steribox, that's what it's called. (29G needle)

Thank you! We were able to get one this morning but had trouble Again this evening. Luckily, our friend was able to come over to help. It is a new needle. It is an insulin needle. We will try the two fingers tip later. It also helped that I had just taken a hot shower!
First up, get a new 29-31G needle, NEW! Put on a garot, wait 1min, make sure your arm is stretched right, not vertical nor horizontal, so that the needle can be kept horizontal which helps with aiming. If the veins are "on the surface" as if in they are "on" the skin not "beneath" or "levelish" to the skin, you can try to keep them from rolling by putting two fingers on either side of the vein, no pressure, and shoot inbetween. Anyway, how'd it go?

75 for age or city? If you're in Paris go get a Kit+ or a steribox, that's what it's called. (29G needle)
Thank you. I wish I was in Paris! I’m in the US. As far as age, do you mean mine? I Didn’t even think about the fact that my age can affect which needle I choose.

A hot, wet compress rag helps sometimes. I also have very thin, hard to see veins but somehow I was just really good at feeling them out. Making sure you're very hydrated also makes a really big difference.

T
A hot, wet compress rag helps sometimes. I also have very thin, hard to see veins but somehow I was just really good at feeling them out. Making sure you're very hydrated also makes a really big difference.
Thank you, I tried the wet, warm compress this evening! Hydrating is something I need to work on.

Well

well, your advice was spot on. Thank you!😊

Well, still having rolling and hiding veins. It’s so frustrating so I’ve taken a short break. I’m hoping for success soon.

Hit it from the side. Or have some place their thumb and index finger on the vein about three inches apart, to pull the skin tight and hold the vein in place. Or do it yourself and let someone else hit you, but only let someone if you are completely confident in their abilities, because the person who can tell the fastest when the needle is no longer in is yourself.