• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ritalin FAQ

An informative thread. However, downers and uppers can be mixed. I have found that daily use of 60mg dihydrocodeine and 60mg pseudoephedrine was a good dosing regimen.

toolazy2think said:
not bad chronic, especially for someone as new as you are to bluelight. you've put more effort into your 100 posts as i've put into my 700 lol. glad to see you here, and this is a very informative section

good job, and thanks

dude, you are newer than him

Adam X said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People with ADD/ADHD normally have lower dopamine levels than normal, and the Ritalin increases those levels to a regular amount.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference?

X

Since he put so much time into the FAQ, I'll defend this for him.

"Children with ADHD typically have lower levels of the brain chemical dopamine than do their peers" -http://my.webmd.com/content/article/51/40740.htm

"A chemical in the brain, called dopamine, is believed to be increased with the use of Ritalin. People with ADHD are thought to have a shortage of this chemical." - http://www.n8chiro.com/article-ritalin.htm

I've read this elsewhere also, these were just the first couple references that came up on a search. I wonder why you couldn't find a reference? I assume you did a quick search for a reference before making a post challenging the validity of his claim.

Also, why nitpick about the "use caution" stuff w/ the uppers and downers? It CAN BE bad for you (your heart in particular) to combine uppers and downers, this is also a generally accepted fact. He didn't say it was going to kill you, he said it MAY prove dangerous.

How(and maybe more importantly why) you would attack this in a FAQ: "The 2 drugs' effects are on opposite sides of the drug spectrum, and combined use may result in a 'speedball'-type of effect which may prove dangerous." is beyond me.

Very good FAQ, the effort is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I disgaree with the lowered dopamine levels as a cause of AD(H)D. Dopamine increasing drugs may treat the symptoms, but that doesn't necessarily mean lowered dopamine levels are the cause. vis a vis SSRIs applied to depression.

None of this webmd.com nonsense, find a peer-reviewed journal article that makes that claim. Web references mean nothing.

One study suggests that hypernoradrenic activity may be at fault: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11864734

Other studies implicate serotonin turnover: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11864724

Many studies conclude that DA receptors may be suspect, rather than extracellular DA levels. DAT polymorphism seems to play a role.

Indeed I believe a nondopaminergic drug has been released to treat ADD? Cant remember the name.

I dont think one can definitively conclude that relatively low extracellular dopamine levelsa re the cause.

my bad

It appears that recent research has disproved the older hypotheses that I was familiar with(that dopamine deficiency was a key factor in ADHD). I stand corrected.

I'm not denying that dopamine isn't the primary factor... most research confirms that to some extent, or else doctors wouldn't be so confident in prescribing stimulants. As I said there appears to be a lot of studies that show people suffering from ADD have increased DAT densities, perhaps implying lower extracellular dopamine levels. Other studies have looked at difference in DA receptor density.

Dopamine is probably the primary cause at present, though other neurotransmitters are almost certainly involved. During looking for those studies I came across a number of websites which suggest ADD may be the consequence of cerebral ischemia during birth (or before or just after).

The point I'm trying to make is that people boldly claim that the cause of ADD is known, when there's a lot of details still to be worked out. Moreover just because a disease responds to a drug doesn't necessarily mean that the cause of the disease is related to the mechanism of the drug. Mostly it does, but there's a lot of strange exceptions neurochemistry. Antidepressants are the best example.

Also: don't trust websites as being true, especially with medicine. There's so much quackery and misinformation around. Look for references!

One hypothesis is that hypodopaminergic activity in the prefrontal and orbitofrontal corticies is at least partly at fault. However, there are very few DAT proteins in the frontal cortex, extracellular dopamine is mainly taken up by the noradrenaline transporter (NAT). This is why tomoxopine (Strattera) is thought to be somewhat effective in treating ADD.

Adam X said:
How so? Can you cite me cases where a medical emergency occured becuase a person combined methylphenidate with a normal dose of a benzodiazdepine or any other "downer"?

The "speed-ball" isn't particularly more dangerous than either drug alone, what's "dangerous" is how addictive this combination is.

Other than these gripes, nice FAQ...

Ritalin and benzodiazipines can be saftley combined because they do not directly interact with each other. Ritalin blocks the reputake of dopamine and Ativan increases the effectiveness of GABA.

However to combine speedy drugs and opiates is risky and dangerous, since these drugs directly act on breathing, etc. When two drugs are sending messages 'faster, slower, faster, slower' and interacting in such a fashion it can be considered dangerous.

Benzos work indirectly by increasing an inhibitory substance, which it's safe to combine ritalin and ativan. I know this from personal experiance.

Ritalin helps people concentrate and think clearly. Inside of your dopamine system, (the neurotic system inside of your brain the gives you feelings of pleasure and happiness) transport cells move the dopamine throughout the brain. After the transport is completed these cells are recycled back into the dopamine system to continue transporting it. While under the influence of Ritalin, nearly 70% of these transport cells are blocked, thus leading to a larger concentration of dopamine per transport cell. This results in huge euphoria and increased concentration

Ritalin helps people concentrate and think clearly. Inside of your dopamine system, (the neural system inside of your brain the gives you feelings of pleasure and happiness). After release, the dopamine is reabsorbed into the cell via the reuptake mechamism (dopamine transporter - DAT) . While under the influence of Ritalin, nearly 70% of these transporter proteins are blocked, thus leading to a larger concentration of dopamine in the synaptic cleft . This results in huge euphoria and increased concentration.

They're not cells, they're proteins. I haven't checked the figures, but the bits in red are corrections that read better/correctly

Adam X said:
Nice reference.

X

I agree with Adam, and not because my name is Adam either. I think its actually safer to use downers with uppers in the sense that using many CNS stimulants together has a multiplicative effect and can much more dangerous in respects to cardiovascular/pulmonary synergistic system.

Addy

Yes, thank you by the way. Valuable information as my doctor just put me on 10mg 3x a day, and will increase in 3 weeks.

Addy

i've never used ritalin before until now. i was expecting "more", but i guess i'm use to stronger stimulants.

One question i have is "Does ritalin increase libido?" Meth makes me horny as hell, but rits doesn't seem to have that effect on me. maybe i'm dosing it wrong. any feedback?

^
has that effect on me , don't think you'll ever be able to compare meth to rit though.

however please elaborate on your dose , brand of ritalin and method of administration , then maybe I can help you out , oh and if you tweaKed a lot maybe ritalin won't do much for you.

Someone said ritalin/methylphenidate is INSOLUBLE in water?? I disagree.. as ive dissolved a 10mg tablet in water n sprayed it, a better method of inssuflation... .. but still
I want to IV ritalin. IS IT SOLUBLE IN WATER? how many 10mg tablets(Novartis) to how many units of water???
urgent answer
pls