Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Revisiting the past 10 months of my life

Nozphexezora

Bluelighter
Hello,

I'm not sure whether you guys remember me or not, but I had a growing history on codeine when I moved onto poppy seed tea. The last day I posted on this site was, coincidentally, on my 18th birthday - the 27th of June. I suppose in retrospect the lack of friendship had caused my addiction to stray into something bad.

Anyway, long story short is that I'm nearly 3 weeks sober from opiates, and I'm trying to stay clean cut. If anybody remembers me, it'd be great to know what's new around the site, and if you're interested perhaps I could discuss my addiction, which I got out of before it was too late, to the seemingly harmless poppy seeds.

Respectfully,

Nozphexezora

Hi there Noz,

I remember seeing your handle around the site. Congrats on getting free of opiates.

We have just launched the Recovery Support section which provides an environment where people can socialize, discuss options to aid in recovery and basically have a section without fear of running across triggering posts/threads. It consists of Sober Living, Mental Health and The Dark Side.

Feel free to drop by and check them out. :)

Okay. I was going to consider them, but considering that I regularly visited this place I thought I might start there because of its sense of locality. Apologies in advance if I don't correctly use the right resources provided in the site, but in my defense I haven't been on in 10 months. Any way, I'll add a little about my addiction and if you want you can ask; Just a quick disclaimer, first, I don't intend to impose any exaggeration on my experiences, and I'll try to tell it as accurately as I can out of respect for people who genuinely have had it far worse than I did.

I started getting huge histamine attacks from codeine, so I moved to poppy seed tea. Eventually, quite quickly, it got carried away and when my Mom gave me access to that precious 2 grand in my savings account (around January) the problem turned full-blown. The two-grand was spent quickly, in about a month, as I was taking 1.5kg-3kg of poppy seeds per dose twice a day. I started getting suicidal thoughts, but I'd always go out and brew tea in my car (i found a super quick way in which I could extract huge amounts of seeds in 5-15 minutes) and it sort of prevented me from ever doing it. Well, eventually my parents caught on again with my drug addiction and my Mom didn't really care any more. She had tried to help me earlier, and she just said "Don't steal from us and we don't care about your addiction." Well, when I spent the 2 grand I tried quitting. Boy, that lasted a day. I quickly snatched 10 dollars from my parents' drawer and found ways of minimalising my costs over the next month or so before my Mom noticed that I had pawned my GPS, acoustic guitar and a bunch of other shit. My Step Dad loathed me for my usage, and with reason, but he made it very hard for me to live there. I moved to my brother's place for a bit, where I begged him for 50 dollars and needed his help after my car ran out of fuel. I returned home one night to my Mom's place high as fuck on poppy seeds i took in my car and I was having huge breathing problems. I felt like I was going to overdose, but I didn't care at the time. I went to watch TV - but the dvd player was gone because my step dad had hidden it. I thought "I'm going to jump on the computer" and I did so, but my step dad turned off the internet. I started having a panic attack and after a huge altercation I was quickly driven back to my Brother's place in a taxi.

I stayed at my Brother's place for a while, claiming to go out to University when I was really out stealing and brewing tea. This went on for a few days when my Brother came home to me nodding off. He didn't really notice, but he told me that I couldn't stay at his place any more because it was too packed. Although he was perfectly right in saying so, as the house had 5 residents excluding me, I nodded off before waking up in a state of panic. To cut it short, I tried to kill myself after getting into a fight with my brother but I got high instead and drove back my Brother's place. As it turns out, 5 police knocked on the door and I was quickly sent to the psych ward. They kept me over night because I was nodding off and couldn't concentrate.

I wasn't sure what to do when I woke up, but I was directed by a friendly nurse to wait for my doctor which I did so. I met some lady who started going crazy after waiting 15 minutes, and I told her to shut the hell up because I had been sitting in the same waiting room for well over 2 hours and I was still content in my poppy-induced high. Anyway, the doctor eventually came and I told him some truth about my story, lying only in the effort of getting out of there. Fortunately, the doctor said I should stay in the Hospital and I started panicking. He asked "are you going to go through drug withdrawals?", and I naturally responded yes, and he was quick to feed me valium which kept me content as I waited to be up into the psych ward.

The whole event of the psych ward was traumatizing, but the valium helped make it a huge blur. My Mom visited and my Dad and family soon learned the severity of my addiction when I was vomiting and in general sick from withdrawals which I had never met to such an extent before. I met some characters who had their brains fried and had it worse than me, and they helped me get through my 8 day withdrawal hell by calling nurses and in general giving me comfort.

Well, after 8 days I was discharged from the ward and put on anti-depressants. I was on cloud-nine knowing that I was finally through the physical withdrawals. I've had a feq problems since, such as panic attacks and anxiety, as well as one bout of benzo abuse, but other than that I'm feeling good. Sorry for the long post. I still have insomnia, and I thought I might bore fellow insomniacs with my silly story. Life could be worse, much worse, even without drugs, and I'm lucky to have been given the treatment that I was given and get out before it was too late. I'm getting into art and philosophy now after having to quit Uni and work, and I spend my time catching up with old friends and building new bridges.

Sorry for my lengthy story. I have nothing else to do tonight really, and it's pretty interesting checking out my old posts.

Hey, welcome back to the forum, Noz:)

Sorry for my lengthy story.

Don't worry about it. It's important to hear about stories like that as well as to express it for yourself. That sounds like some hardcore situations you've been through, and I can only imagine how incredibly stressful it must have been. I can empathise with being addicted to drugs which require constant maintenance, and experiencing severe withdrawals, but one difference (and probably the single most important difference) between your story and my story is that I've had a supportive and understanding brother and girlfriend who've helped me so much over the last five years.

That's the part of your story that I find really sad: The fact that you parents/step-parents were not really helpful. I mean, I don't know the full story and what your relationship has been likee with them over the years, but the fact that you said your mum didn't care about your addiction because she'd given up, your step-dad loathed you for your addiction, and your my brother wasn't able or willing to put you up during a crisis time, are very unfortunate responses for those closest to you to have.

Take care and good luck with it all. Keep us posted on how you're getting on.

My Mom didn't really want to believe the extent of my addiction, really, because it usually goes down a dark path. But they were very helpful after the psych ward, and I now live with my Dad at the moment and he's alright.

My Mom didn't really want to believe the extent of my addiction, really, because it usually goes down a dark path

I guess she was in denial because she was afraid of you getting hurt or worse, and so she tried to block it out and turn a blind eye to it.

But it's good to hear that things were better after the psych ward, and now with your dad. It's critical to have people who care about you around in times when you're fragile and have experienced some really traumatic stuff recently.

Take care:)

hey, man. thanks for sharing that. it's great to hear you're clean now and reaching out to other people. congrats! and best of luck with the continuing sobriety.

out of interest you might consider posting in this thread - Personal Accounts of Addiction - Share Your Story, in the Other Drugs forum, sharing you story like others have. it has a format but i don't think you'd have any problem posting that or simply editing it a little and filling in what blanks there might be. only if you're up to it of course :)

^Thanks tentram, I posted it there.

Just a recap:

It's been exactly three weeks now and I still have trouble with a sleeping pattern. It's getting annoying going to sleep at 8am and waking up realising that I missed the volunteer shift. I only rely on Valerian and magnesium for sleep aid, but I'm considering going to see a doctor again because I never started getting these sleeping problems until after I visited my GP. Also, my sleep patterns give me really scary, vivid dreams. I remember having a nightmare where I woke up, took a snapshot of myself on the webcam and laid back down in my bed when I saw my face in the window and I started panicking thinking that somebody was stalking me - but I quickly came to my senses.
I had another dream today where I climbed a huge bridge and saw a lady jump off it, and I recall distinctly saying, while holding a camera (which I was using to film traffic for an artwork apparently), "The thing that bothered me the most is that this lady jumped - and I didn't care. I just wanted to film it, but she jumped too early." The dreams are extremely vivid and lucid, and sometimes they're in good spirit (i.e. going around walls painting "Junkie" for lols), but these dreams really do concern me sometimes.

just remember they're only dreams. though i've gone through a similar thing many times when either in withdrawals or getting fully clean from the opiates. you're sleep deprived, you've probably got a shitty attitude towards things, stressed out, etc which might be triggering the not-so-nice dreams. when i'm in that kind of state i find i have violent dreams, people die, just absolutely horrifying shit. it is worth mentioning that i've always had night terrors on a fairly regular basis within my dreams and it's been going on for some years.

as a young kid i used to have a reoccurring dream that always involved my older brother being eaten by crocodiles. then i would dream up other similar ones which also had crocodiles terrifying everyone if they weren't eating them. some strange shit for sure.

Yeah dreams are strange, i'd hate to have horrible or violent ones, mine are always pretty good fun and more often than not involve people that I know or knew or family and sometimes pets. I'm never overseas in them tho, it's always close to home or a previous home or not too far away which is weird.

Valerian gives me weird dreams fwiw. it also makes me a bit groggy the next morning which i find surprising.

I'm finding melatonin much more useful for getting to sleep these days. When i first got them it seemed that 3mg tablets had the reverse effect on me and gave me a shallow unrefreshing kind of sleep. I later found I had better results with 1.5mg so i now break the 3mg tablets in half about 20-30 mins before bed. I have even been known to have another 1.5mg at 4 or 5am for that bit of extra sleep with no repercussions or difficulty getting up at 630am.