• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Reused same needle in my vein twice- risk of infection?

Zeon

Greenlighter
So long story short I had to perform a blood self extraction on myself, which I have not done before. It was meant to be a take home fingerprick test but I had no luck milking out any blood on several fingers. I swabbed (with alcohol pad), went in (31g 4mm) for the hand vein, aspirated and missed, then without thinking about it I swabbed one of the veins in the nook of my arm, and went in with the same needle, then drew a ml of blood. Any chance I introduced bacteria into my blood? I'm thinking something I aspirated, or that lives on the skin and is normally harmless.

Theres a small chance yes however the swabbing would help minimise this. If the spot is painful and starts heating up get antibiotics asap

I second zephyr's advice, there's always a small chance of infection when iv'ing, even with a rig fresh out of the pack. Just keep an eye on it, just in case.

bro, ive used 1 needle like 40 times at one point and ive done that like 40 times throughout m addiction your good.... just dont leave blood in it, and rinse out the blood before loading shot. and try and always use fresh needles.

^ Yeah reusing needles is all good and well but fresh ones are always better and not that hard to get.

ideally, you shouldn't reuse needles - if you're going to shoot up it's best to use "a clean fit every hit".
like even if you miss a shot, put it in a new rig. if you can go to a needle a exchange, or buy in bulk online, you can make sure you have enough around to do this (for free or cheap)

yes, people reuse them - but obviously some of those people may get endocarditis, abscesses, collapsed veins or other nasty IV-related harm.

infection isn't the only concern - needles cause more vein damage the more you use them -

serveimage

but yeah, as above - keep an eye on it and if the injection site feels swollen, warm and tender - go to a doctor to get some antibiotics ASAP.

Last edited:
I live in a state where there's no type of needle exchange and the only places to buy syringes are further away than I'm able to go everytime I need fresh ones. They are also not cheap. So you can see there are issues that cause many of us here to reuse the same needles multiple times before tossing them.

If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't have destroyed so many of my veins like I did. So yes, reusing syringes can be harmful the longer you keep using them, and for reasons other than the risk of infection.

You are most likely okay since you swabbed your injection site with an alcohol pad but like everyone has said before me just keep an eye on it.

You will be okay, just make sure u try to clean the blood out if it has crusted, I have been wreckless with my body and needle using and I only had one infection and that was near femoral I had to get it cut open and get all the nasty gunk out but I'm still living, the human body is pretty good at fighting things off, just don't share needles obviously lol but you should be A-okay buddy

I live in a state where there's no type of needle exchange and the only places to buy syringes are further away than I'm able to go everytime I need fresh ones. They are also not cheap. So you can see there are issues that cause many of us here to reuse the same needles multiple times before tossing them

Have you tried buying them online? It's usually cheaper as well.

Yes, CFC. I have before. I'm not in a position to do that however. Don't worry, I'm about to suck it up and hit the pharmacy today for a new bag.

There's always a small chance, but I've reused the same needle 10-20 times (before it was legal to buy them over the counter) and been fine- it just starts to hurt more the duller the needle gets.

Dude your ok... I dont think ive ever used a needle just once...even if I have a lot of them I still reuse because I know in a few days ill just be digging them out my trash can while the neighbors watch...talk about feeling at your lowest. ..lol

Dude talk about sketch. I re used some rigs until the needle literally fell off. In fact one broke off in my arm and has been there for years lol...
Ya don?t re use rigs 20+ times, that?s the danger. I re use typically up to 4-5 times tops now only if I have no other way to get rigs.

The time it broke off I was homeless and finding new rigs was close to impossible