• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Returning your dopamine levels back to normal after long term opiate use

captainsparrow

Greenlighter
Will your brain chemicals ever be back to normal after stopping long term heroin use? I read somewhere that there can be a long term imbalance after stopping use. But a few months back I went sober for a month or so, and I was feeling pretty good. I would almost feel like I was high when I was sober. I'm just worried I'm messing up my brain long term.

Depends on a lot of things such as your individual brain chemistry, how long have you used heroin, how often do you use, how much do you use etc

Will you brain chemistry ever return exactly to where it was, let's say 7 years ago even if there was absolutely no drug use involved? If the answer is no, how do you even recognize what the new normal would be if you had used heroin during that time? When our brain reaches it's peak somewhere around our twenties, it doesn't last long. Things change up there in general when we age. To my knowledge, it is quite often that drug use begins either before our brain reaches it's peak and people use various drugs sometimes for a good part of this peak.

While this shouldn't be used long term and more so during detox and shortly requip is a dopamine agonist dosed 1 mg 2x-3x that allows you to transition off without shocking your dopamine receptors the Opiates overload by flooding the neurotransmitter.