Votes: 23 8.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 177 66.8%

• Total voters
I just watched this movie the other night while I was stoned as, I thought the movie was fantastic. I really enjoyed the portrayal that the all ended up losing them self.

A really awful film. Irritatingly one-note and melodramatic, not to mention emotionally manipulative. Director uses a lot of flashy tricks which just get annoying after not very long. The "message" is simple and obvious... just a bad, bad film that gets ridiculously high praise.

+1,000!! I don't understand what all the hype is about, frankly, I was very disappointed when I finally saw the movie. But I guess that the passage of time doesn't help either - the film hasn't aged well in my opinion.

+1,000!! I don't understand what all the hype is about, frankly, I was very disappointed when I finally saw the movie. But I guess that the passage of time doesn't help either - the film hasn't aged well in my opinion.

What is it that you don't like about the movie ?

I had heard many thing about the movie b4 and finally watch it over the weekend with ^ and i was quite shocked at some of it but found the movie itself was really fucking good!

my love of this film hasn't wavered once since i first saw it in the cinema.

juice by sarah

To me the reading the book first showed how bad the film is. It just didnt stand up to a book like that, i suppose it was a hard task trying to put something aas nuanced into a film but they tried but i think they failed. not one of my favorite drugs film. I think Drugstore Cowboy is FAR better, but then again i can enjoy Cowboy wasted without geting a heavy moral end sequence shoved in my face.

Just IMHO

I saw it.
Didn't make me want to swear off drugs, but it did reinforce my discipline against addiction. What the movie has taught me was....
1. don't deal
2. if you are dealing don't eat your own supply
3. choose different injection spots. get sterile needles. don't share.

Conclusion: drugs can make you pretty happy but don't go overboard. yuuuuuuuup

One of my favorite films, I had the idea of how easily an addiction take control of your whole life if u don't handle ur shit

On the extras of the dvd one of the theme they set is that ANYTHING has the potential to become an addiction

To me the first 3/4 of the movie is very good they set up a good plot line it had a nice flow to it and had a neutral tone as far as the drugs were concerned. The ending is just a trainwreck IMO way to heavy handed its like the writer said whats the most cliche bad thing I can do to my characters.

On the extras of the dvd one of the theme they set is that ANYTHING has the potential to become an addiction

not going to argue that, but you do realize the author of the book, hubert selby jr, was an ex-junkie?

i recommend the book, a lot, the author's writing style is awesome, he writes as if he were talking, spells words wrong and shit, doesn't use quotation marks

not going to argue that, but you do realize the author of the book, hubert selby jr, was an ex-junkie?

i recommend the book, a lot, the author's writing style is awesome, he writes as if he were talking, spells words wrong and shit, doesn't use quotation marks

Ill def look into it, I've never heard of him previous to this tbh

Oh and if your not familiar with Charles Bukowski, he writes like he talks as well, got through 2 of his books in a week, that's as much as I ever read

A few question(s) about Requiem For A Dream & Auditory Hallucination *spoiler alert*

Hey everyone. I just joined BlueLight after a two year hiatus from the website and online drug culture in general. I'm posting this thread because I've had a question about this movie ever since I first saw it. (When I was still just a young cannabis smoker in rehab for probate) Anyways, here is my question: The mother takes these "Diet Pills" which, I am assuming were some type of amphetamine. What I never understood, was 1. Why on earth would her refrigerator make violent pounding/smashing noises and seem to POP OUT at her in the film? I never understood this. I have done amphetamine, I have done cocaine and I have smoked crack/freebase cocaine and I have never experienced any scary auditory psychosis or hallucination. I was wondering if this was put into the movie for effect, for fun, or if this is real?

I also had a question about the poor main character's arm. What exactly happened with his arm? I was shocked, and I will probably forever be shocked at the end of the movie where he loses his arm. This is possible in real life, I know... But what exactly happened to his arm? Did he get a bad infection from reusing his needle? Did he get an infection from using the same spot, in the same vein, in the same hole, each time?

Also, did the mother actually go insane, or was she just simply withdrawing from all of the pills? I am guessing that she somehow screwed up her mind through brain damage? But I remember that when I was younger, I specifically got the idea that the doctors simply misdiagnosed the mother with a mental disorder when in "reality" (within the movie) she was actually just withdrawing. Now that I see the movie with more mature eyes, I am guessing she gave herself some form of permanent brain damage and/or psychosis?

Any info on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time guys!

i think the living, moving refrigerator is just the director's attempt to portray amphetamine psychosis (exasperated by taking sleeping pills in the middle of the day) through film.

yeah. his arm got infected from repeated, non-sterile IV use.

the book goes into a lot more detail on the situation sara goldfarb is left in. it strongly suggests that she would be completely fine if given a little while to rest and recover from her pill abuse. but that's not what happens. if you wanna know why, gotta read it. though just because the book supports your initial impression of what happens to her doesn't mean that's the case in the film. but i think there is also evidence in the film that supports the idea she would or could have been fine. or at least much better off than she ends up. e.g. the scene where the two gabby old ladies come in to visit her instead of her young and in the know son.

also, please use the index or search before making a new film thread. i see you are new, no biggie. but we got ourselves a system here. check out our guidelines for more info. thanks!

Last edited:
Anyways, here is my question: The mother takes these "Diet Pills" which, I am assuming were some type of amphetamine. What I never understood, was 1. Why on earth would her refrigerator make violent pounding/smashing noises and seem to POP OUT at her in the film? I never understood this. I have done amphetamine, I have done cocaine and I have smoked crack/freebase cocaine and I have never experienced any scary auditory psychosis or hallucination. I was wondering if this was put into the movie for effect, for fun, or if this is real?

Amphetamine psychosis is very real and can produce very real hallucinations and delusions. This stems not only from sleep deprivation, but from the prolonged dopaminergic hyperactivity which creates a neurochemical state akin to schizophrenia.

Oh, one thing I don't like about this film is how their pupils dilate rather than constrict.