• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides Repeated very high dose LSD trips (psychospiritual effects)

Foreigner

Bluelighter
This topic is going to weave science, philosophy, sprituality, and a lot of other things together. So bear with me.

I'll preface this by saying this topic is probably going to be purely subjective since I can't seem to find any concrete proof that LSD alters brain structure or causes any detectable physical damage. If there are scientists/researchers/profesionals on these boards who can say otherwise, I would really love to hear what you have to say because it might add more concrete aspects to the discussion. I'll also add that I am a medical professional trained in observation, inquiry, and empirical evaluation with a lot of personal experience with psychedelics.

I have a friend who does LSD in excess of 1000ug on a monthly basis, if not twice monthly. In fairness to him, he has a rapid metabolism so these higher doses are probably not the equivalent to someone with a slower metabolism doing them. He also does them as a form of migraine prevention since his migraines last for 3-4 days and he is physically debilitated for much of that time. This treatment seems to work for him, and I have verified that ergot derivatives have indeed been used for migraines.

I've accompanied this friend a handful of times in these very high-dose LSD trips. They were riveting, unfolding, and cosmic learning experiences. They have changed my life forever and I am very grateful for these experiences. Eventually though, I had a psychotic break because of this, and I no longer follow my friend down this deep rabbit hole. My friend, however, has been doing this for years, and that's what brings me to this thread.

My friend exhibits a lot of memory loss, makes gradios claims about other dimensions and overlaying/parallel realities, claims contact with beings from other dimensions, and even has waking visions about these things. I have brought up the possibility of acid flashbacks but he insists they are not. The thing is, on such high doses of LSD I have also had contact with other beings. I don't claim to know whether they were real or imagined - at this point it makes no difference - but at the time it FELT real, and divine. It's hard for me to cross-examine my friend because we both have a lot of shared experiences in that department. However, unlike him, I find such high doses of LSD extremely catabolic and it takes me days to recover from the initial trip, but then a couple of months to feel like I'm really back on the ground again. (I'm assuming this is because of extreme neurotransmitter activity?)

So... I open this discussion to all kinds of angles... scientific, spiritual, psychological, etc. I want to know if such high doses are brain damaging or at least permanently brain altering, and if they can cause long term psychotic disorders or at least a permanent delusional perception of reality. I know this question gets asked often, but we're talking high doses here -- at least 1000ug, but often more. Is it possible to be an "LSD burnout" from this?

Second question is, is it useful to interrogate the new perceptions that LSD opens up if we cannot even determine whether or not they are real? For instance, I have seen human auras since birth and I know this to be "real" because I have met other aura readers and we have observed identical phenomena in realtime together, and also because the auras have practical applications (i.e. human health, social situations) that are identical across many experiments. Yet, to some who can't see auras, or empiricists, I could be crazy. So, similarly, if a group of people do high dose LSD trips together and experience similar phenomena across many trips (or even outside of trips), are they qualitatively delusional, or is the idea of "delusion" merely based on societal norms?

I ask all this because sometimes I am very worried about my friend because of the things he says, but at the same time I know how powerfully transformative and vivid LSD can be -- can I really be the authority on what is real and what is not? I know in psychiatric fields, pathology is generally ascribed to dysfunction, i.e. a lot of people hear voices but they only receive a medical diagnosis if they can no longer function in the world due to those voices. My friend is pretty functional, but I still have a hard time judging how "sane" he is sometimes.

Thoughts on this?

If he can function normally, is there a reason why he can't have his own beliefs of reality? Many groups of people have (in my opinion) much more absurd beliefs than your friend. For example, religious people. Quantum physics has at least an established theory that postulates the existence of 11 dimensions. The three spacial dimensions that make up our physical universe, a dimension of time and then seven additional dimensions. The microtubules in our brains function like quantum computers. We are basically beings made of pure energy, a biological quantum computer experiencing reality in our three spacial dimensions. What may lie beyond our dimension, if other dimensions do exist, would be impossible to tell with our current technology.

Humans have come a long way in explaining how our universe works, but there is still so much we don't know. Take dark matter for example. Dark matter makes up 84% of the universe. Yet we have NO IDEA what dark matter is. We do not know what 84% of the universe is made of! I'm not saying what your friend or anyone else experiences during a high dose LSD trip or other psych is reality or even rational for that matter. What I am saying is, we just don't know that much, and who are we to judge another person's beliefs? Our species have speculated on the divine, on spirits, and other realities for as long as we have existed. If he can live a normal, healthy lifestyle, and be grounded in our own reality outside of his trips, then I see no reason to worry. If the opposite is true, if he seems delusional and unable to function properly an starts behaving irrationally, that is when as a friend you could consider stepping in and trying to help him.

We don't know if any of our perceptions are "real," in the sense of corresponding to an objective reality outside of our selves, and yet we interrogate them all the time and seem to derive some sort of benefit from doing this, so what's wrong with applying the same type of reasoning to what we experience on LSD?

What are you really concerned about when it comes to your friend? Are you worried that the two of you are drifting apart because his use of acid is giving him an unusual perspective that you do not share? Or do you suspect that his views and behavior are making/will make him unhappy?

I ask all this because sometimes I am very worried about my friend because of the things he says, but at the same time I know how powerfully transformative and vivid LSD can be -- can I really be the authority on what is real and what is not? I know in psychiatric fields, pathology is generally ascribed to dysfunction, i.e. a lot of people hear voices but they only receive a medical diagnosis if they can no longer function in the world due to those voices. My friend is pretty functional, but I still have a hard time judging how "sane" he is sometimes.

I think this is an important thing to keep in mind -- as long as your friend is still able to take care of himself on his own, then his weird beliefs are probably not causing him any problems. He may be having some trouble judging how his beliefs will be taken by others, since he keeps telling you about them and you seem to be quite disturbed by them and he isn't picking up on that. But if he's only telling his trusted friends and not, say, his co-workers or random strangers, then this probably isn't going to cause him much trouble either.

I've been communicating with spirits during psychedelic trips for years now. I've even befriended a few of them and can converse with them when sober as well. And yet during the years I've been doing this I managed to finish grad school and start a full-time job, so I'm certainly functional by anyone's criteria. I hardly ever talk about these experiences with anyone because people generally react the way you do, and I've even lost a friendship over it when I did tell someone who I thought I could trust. Not trying to single you out or anything, just pointing out that there is a very strong taboo in modern Western culture against having these types of spiritual experiences. They are dismissed as nothing more than meaningless symptoms of mental illness, and people who hear voices in their heads are depicted in the mass media as either hysterical housewives who were sexually abused as children, or sociopathic serial killers. While there certainly are some voice hearers who are distressed by the content of what they hear and can justifiably be considered mentally ill and in need of help, there are many others of us who have had mainly positive contacts with spirits and find a great deal of spiritual value in these experiences. How do you think your friend feels about what he's been experiencing? It's not clear from your message whether it's been troubling him or not.

If you want to engage your friend about these experiences he's been having, you could try asking him how he knows that he's communicating with a distinct entity instead of an aspect of his own psyche, and how he evaluates the usefulness of the messages he receives. Hopefully he is doing some kind of filtering on the information he's receiving, and isn't just accepting it all uncritically...not every spirit is worth listening to, after all. :) It's his process for evaluating these experiences after the fact that determines whether they can be successfully integrated over time, or will ultimately turn into a spritual crisis that he can't handle.

I like all the above answers.
Out of all psychedelics, I think LSD is the most twisted one and I definitely believe it can make you believe ''funny'' things. LSD has the strongest ''psychedelia'' I have ever experienced (except for a 2cb trip once) and noticed there is something ''funny and twisted'' about it. I do have a feeling that if I trip heavily a few times a week, eventually my beliefs will change and I might go ''crazy'', at least for a while.

I once swore that I had telepathic communications with other people. Now I question that experience and I'm not attached to whatever the outcome might be. Now I believe I was just tripping tho. But sometimes psychedelic drugs can be very mysterious.

But anyways, most beliefs aren't even our beliefs. A Christian kid is probably a Christian because his parents told him thats the truth and he ''must'' follow it. Now this Christian kid will defend this belief which has been brainwashed into his mind by his parents which were brainwashed by their parents and society etc. Where as with psychedelics, doors of perceptions are opened and one can truly question what he believes and realize what he truly thinks is true.

Here is a very very strange and intense experience I had on 2c-b, which was the craziest and scariest psychedelic experience I had, and I believe it could have led me to psychosis. It is quite a long report tho.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=33865

if he's maniacally obsessed with these extra-dimensional encounters and spiritual experiences you should surely tell him to lay off the stuff for a while.

I like all the above answers.
Out of all psychedelics, I think LSD is the most twisted one and I definitely believe it can make you believe ''funny'' things. LSD has the strongest ''psychedelia'' I have ever experienced (except for a 2cb trip once) and noticed there is something ''funny and twisted'' about it. I do have a feeling that if I trip heavily a few times a week, eventually my beliefs will change and I might go ''crazy'', at least for a while.

I once swore that I had telepathic communications with other people. Now I question that experience and I'm not attached to whatever the outcome might be. Now I believe I was just tripping tho. But sometimes psychedelic drugs can be very mysterious.

But anyways, most beliefs aren't even our beliefs. A Christian kid is probably a Christian because his parents told him thats the truth and he ''must'' follow it. Now this Christian kid will defend this belief which has been brainwashed into his mind by his parents which were brainwashed by their parents and society etc. Where as with psychedelics, doors of perceptions are opened and one can truly question what he believes and realize what he truly thinks is true.

Here is a very very strange and intense experience I had on 2c-b, which was the craziest and scariest psychedelic experience I had, and I believe it could have led me to psychosis. It is quite a long report tho.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=33865

I believe it could have led you to ego death... you should have went with it. ;)

Or repeated DMT use for example. But, in the medical community, DMT experiences are often explained as model psychosis. And at the same time, mentally ill people have moments of great clarity.

There was some theory that LSD was a model of psychosis back in the very early-50's but that was discounted as it clearly isn't psychosis. It was really just doctors who didn't have a clue about LSD making a guess.

I've never heard of DMT being used in the medical community.

Repeated high dose LSD usage is definitely associated with erratic thought patterns, strong delusional almost "religious" beliefs, et cetera.

I believe it may have something to do with LSD's known agonism at dopamine sites - other ergoloid & non-ergoloid dopamine agonists have been reported to cause mood disorders/disturbances, induce hypersexuality and gambling, et cetera. The strong stmulant action of LSD probably doesn't help either.

If your friend isn't causing himself any harm aside from thinking that Aliens Built The Pyramids then there is no good reason to make him stop.

Second question is, is it useful to interrogate the new perceptions that LSD opens up if we cannot even determine whether or not they are real? For instance, I have seen human auras since birth and I know this to be "real" because I have met other aura readers and we have observed identical phenomena in realtime together, and also because the auras have practical applications (i.e. human health, social situations) that are identical across many experiments.

The real thing to ask, is "what are the nature of these phenomena"?

Are they first-order sensory phenomena, that is, direct sensory input from a sense neuron? Unlikely, your eye does not have magical "aura-receptors" that only activate in the presence of psychedelics.
Are they merely artifacts of first order processes? I.e. distortions of normal colors from oversaturation on the retina, sensory distortion from 5ht2a agonism
Or are they artifacts of higher-order processes? This is the most likely I think - you have simply devised a convenient way of associating/deriving an "aura" with/from one's general demeanor and appearance.

The real question is reproducibility, statistical significance and double-blindedness. Design a statistically sound experiment and try to test your "senses" - you may be suprised.

Last edited:
But what is "high-dose"? Surely it depends on what your tolerance is. If you take 1000mics every month then eventually 1000mics won't be a high dose to you. It's only a high dose to someone who isn't doing it every month.

My tolerance for mushrooms is permanently high so my average dose would make most people gasp, but to me it's just a nice comfortable trip.

alteredstate8 said:
Many groups of people have (in my opinion) much more absurd beliefs than your friend. For example, religious people.

Most religious people I've met don't have waking visions of being contacted by beings from higher realms. There's a difference between having some of your a priori assumptions about reality being outdated and actively experiencing entity contact.

As for what,if anything, you should do Foreigner...if the dude's fully functional in society, being an eccentric near-wacko may be acceptable. It's unlikely you'll convince them out of having these thoughts, and ruining your friendship over that might not be at all helpful. On the other hand, what if letting it go now means he goes off the deep end later on? It's a tough question, and I think the thing to do is play it whatever way your morality has you do it, keeping in mind that your goal is to help him. Good luck to you both.

If you get into the aspect of tolerance, there's little hope for any productive discussion, as tolerance to every drug is widely variable across the world population and even making gross generalizations is wrong in a few cases.

I'm in agreeance with Sockpuppet's first post 100%.

I have personally experienced the negative psychological effects of too-frequent psychedelic usage.

Too often the medical community (and this one) get caught up in the physiology - is it neurotoxic? Are the receptors down-regulated? And yes, these are excellent things to know and discuss.

However we often ignore the fact that these drugs can be very rough psychologically. Your friend is probably perfectly healthy from a neurological point of view, but having reality absolutely torn to shreds two-plus times a month is going to be difficult for *anyone* to handle. His mind either has to completely dismiss an experience that probably feels more "real" to him than reality or else he has to integrate the experience. When the experience is as extreme as a milligram of acid 24 times a year, you're going to have problems.

Tolerance to LSD only lasts a few days in my experience.

No-one I know thinks you can take LSD and then take it 3 days later and have just as powerful a trip. You're the odd one out if you think that. I'd say 5-7 days minimum.

And once again, the point I'm making is more subtle than you seen able to grasp. If you only take LSD once every 3 months you have a different tolerance to someone who is taking LSD every week for years on end. You don't keep the same tolerance. If you're regularly tripping every week, or every fortnight, even every month after a few weeks/months you'll notice you need a bigger dose to get the same effect. That's just basic human physiology - yes even your physiology sock.

1000mcg of LSD is a very very high dose by any normal standard and to give anyone the impression that it is not is reckless.

It's a high dose to someone who isn't taking it every fortnight. To someone who has been taking 1000mics every fortnight for the last 3 years, 1000mics will be a comfortable dose.

IME experience true psych tolerance (as opposed to a degree of familiarity with tripping or a spiritual sense that "one has already gotten the message") lasts only a few days to a week at most.

Not if you take them every week, or every fortnight for months/years. There's a more permanent tolerance effect that comes into play.

More than 7 grams of cubensis will consistently shred most people's minds, induce tryptamine amnesia, etc - regardless of whether or not one has eaten vast amounts of psilocybin over many years (as I have).

Not if you've been taking 10 dried grams every fortnight for years. Your body and mind adapt over time.

My guess is you've been eating white button mushrooms soaked in DXM or something similar

Is that what you're selling to the kids these days? Bet you charge top dollar too ;)

If you get into the aspect of tolerance, there's little hope for any productive discussion, as tolerance to every drug is widely variable across the world population and even making gross generalizations is wrong in a few cases.

It's a little more nuanced than that tho - the OP says he's been taking 1000mics every fortnight for quite some time. That means it isn't going to be like a 1000mic dose would be to someone taking it for the first time.

A 1000mic dose the first time you take it is very different to taking a 1000mic dose when you've been taking it every fortnight for 10 years. If he was taking 1000mics with 3 months in between each dose then it would have a far more shattering effect.

Last edited: