View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Relationships Before & After Psychedelic Use

Flying_Chippmunk

Greenlighter
My question to fellow bluelighters is have you have ever had an intense one-on-one psychedelic trip with somebody you're close with, and how has that trip influenced your relationship. Any personal experiences would be appreciated!

I've never been n an official romantic relationship.
BUt i did LSD with my weed dealer 2 times and we ended up becoming best friends.
I'd like to think it was because of my charming demeanor, the the acid trips definitely helped, and gave us an excuse to hang out for 2 nights that we wouldn't have chilled otherwise

I think it could be interesting, surreal, however, at some point you may fall in love and that's rare and yet more than a trip. Until then, it's all good I guess.
It's a cliche but true :)

I fell in love on MDMA, that lasted loooooong after we came down

intense one-on-one tripping for a couple can be either the best or worst thing, because if you actually love the person, it is bliss, but if you are using the person or have something to hide from that person, it's hell.and sometimes it can be bliss for one person and hell for the other, for the short period of time leading up to where they both meet in the middle, usually leads to an ended relationship.

1st acid trip especially because the person with you on your first trip is your trusted guide into the unknown.

I wouldn't do it in any other way. You can also be comforted with someone if you have a bad trip for instance..

My current partner loves to trip and so do I. We haven't had the chance to do it together in a long time but the several times we did, it was really great. One particular experience comes to mind where we had dosed LSD and mushrooms, things were pretty intense and at times i was wondering whether i could handle it.

During these moments she would chime in and seem fine and allay my concerns. At the same time, there were points were she became worried or confused and i would do the same and reassure her that everything would be fine. This wasn't even something we were doing consciously, we just bounced back between one another and managed to steer ourselves towards what ended up being a really great experience.

I have also had several trips with other friends one on one, all of which were pleasant IIRC. This is generally because i wouldn't consider tripping with someone in an enclosed environment unless i already knew them very well. I have had unpleasantness tripping around people i didn't know or in uncontrolled environments.

I have been together with my gf for 3 years and we tripped +/- 5times. Once a year MDMA and once a year something like 2C-D or 5MeOMiPT.

Yes it influences the relationship, just like every other experience. Most of the time it's intense ; Sometimes I cry (the good kind) and sometimes we laugh. Sometimes we just lay down and breath, or massage eachother. Sex also changes in that it's not about the orgasm. We once had sex for 4 hours on MDMA before climaxing both. Nothing changed, it was bliss all the way.

It helps her in the sense that she gains insight in herself (her words), and it helps me in realising that "right here, right now" is enough.

I guess everyone is different also in couples.. I wonder if I could ever love in sober and have this same truthfully feeling under the effects of drugs. In my opinion only, this is counterproductive. How can you truly love if you are high?? Honestly..

I get it. It's fun, light, pure. Now picture yourself taking your kid to school..Love is all around!

Really?.

My parents loved me so much when they were high. I just wished it could be permanently like that.
Children are naive..

Last edited:
Most of my trips were in groups of 4 or more. I've tripped with just one other person, on the same psychedelic, only once (mdma is a different story).

As for one-on-one, I'll just put it bluntly; though we (myself and someone I was seeing at the time) bonded through being on the same substance, it didn't bring us that much closer. We've done other things like go out to dinner, go out with friends at a myriad of places or just sitting around someplace comfortable and just talking, which was more intense. It's not that psychedelics were marginalized in my mind (especially at the time). But it probably was to my partner. We just liked spending time together, and I'm aware that she didn't really care what we did. It didn't help that it was my suggestion, because she was (and probably still is, though I don't talk to her anymore) a very strong-minded person. We used lsd, and though it was cool as hell frying with her in a hotel room for a day, we've had better times than that. Not to mention that it was her first time, so I had to constantly answer all the questions she had during the experience. She was just in awe and wonder at the feelings and visuals, so I was more like a sitter. Still, that day was one of my best days with lsd, even though she didn't care much about it. It was also a spur of the moment thing, which isn't the best way to go about a bonding experience imo and ime.

My current SO does not like psychedelics. She's seen a few of my bad lsd trips, so without her saying so I could tell she's thinking "fuck that." Which, btw, neither of us count mdma+weed as a true psychedelic experience, even though it arguably is and she had done that a lot back then. (She's scared of my DOPr, which I find hilarious. =D) But she had already been into that "scene" from her ex best friend's influence, so it started with her. That one, yeah, we bonded a lot during that time.

I've never had the chance to try this with a girl I was seeing, that had a natural interest in actual psychedelics. Platonic friendships with girls, yes, but honestly the experience is just really similar to tripping with my guy friends, so not much bonding was achieved. Thankfully.

I'd think that unless both are really open to it, make it a special occasion to trip on a psych, and really connect emotionally outside and inside the trip, then it could be a grand experience for sure. I think it's kind of rare though, since not many girls do psychedelics to bond one-on-one. At least not the ones I ever knew.

That's what mdma is for though. If you consider it a psychedelic (I don't, even though it technically is one), you'd probably have had more answers by now. :)

My SO isn't interested in them... Most trips I have, I have with good friends. I'd say all my LSD experiences with friends certainly facilitated stronger friendships with those people, maybe not many RC psychs I've tried... MXE feels like it really lets me bond with people though.

I fell in love on MDMA, that lasted loooooong after we came down

intense one-on-one tripping for a couple can be either the best or worst thing, because if you actually love the person, it is bliss, but if you are using the person or have something to hide from that person, it's hell.and sometimes it can be bliss for one person and hell for the other, for the short period of time leading up to where they both meet in the middle, usually leads to an ended relationship.

How long?

Tripping with someone definitely builds a life-long bond that transcends time and distance.

As for love and relationships... I dosed with my GF's in the past. Usually in was great... except when it wasn't. But of course those were unhealthy relationships anyway. I guess that's no big surprise.

No experiences with me + SO doing psychedelics together, but I remember when I was selling acid I had an experience where I hooked up (pretty randomly...me and this person met in a diner at about 3 AM, LOL) with a girl and went out with her for a bit, and kind of treated her like shit. This only became apparent to me on the comedown from an LSD trip I took later on, but it disturbed me on a pretty profound level.

I remember later telling her "yeah I realized that I've kind of been a fucked up human being lately, I realized that when I was high on LSD, and I'm pretty much OK with any relationship you want to have with me, if any. I don't care." She looked at me like I was fucking insane lol. She broke it off with me later that day :) although I saw her later on, months later

Psychedelics are good for making you critically examine your relationships with other people, in my opinion.

Damn. You're joking, or no?

Nope. First it brought us really close and then it tore us apart. It showed my partner that he was completely lying to himself, and me, about his feelings. It also unlocked a lot of past trauma for him including some sordid childhood memories. One of the last things he said to me was, "I see you more like a brother now, than a partner." This, coming from someone who wanted to get married just months prior.

I'm not upset about it anymore. What the experience showed me is that psychedelics can unlock a lot of personal realization and let you access deep, inner potential. I also have a very specific way of doing psychedelics that some might call shamanic, because I create an environment with nurturing and creative atmosphere for going deep. My former partner took all this novelty and self-discovery and... ran away from me. Oh well, at least we had really great sex during that final trip. The irony is that the night in question was the best trip I've ever had in my entire life and it felt like I reached a new pinnacle in life with my beloved, only to find out we had two totally different interpretations of what happened.

I imagine that relationships that are based on real, loving and connected foundations can only be amplified by psychedelic use. Not that I would know as my former partner was the first person I was with who enjoyed psychedelics as much as I do.

I'm not upset about it anymore. What the experience showed me is that psychedelics can unlock a lot of personal realization and let you access deep, inner potential. I also have a very specific way of doing psychedelics that some might call shamanic, because I create an environment with nurturing and creative atmosphere for going deep. My former partner took all this novelty and self-discovery and... ran away from me. Oh well, at least we had really great sex during that final trip. The irony is that the night in question was the best trip I've ever had in my entire life and it felt like I reached a new pinnacle in life with my beloved, only to find out we had two totally different interpretations of what happened.

Not to derail but before I say my tiny phrase on this I want to just say, dealing with a similar thing with my g/f. I try to gain comfort in the fact if she does leave me I can honestly say we are both better because we were with each other and as i get more comfortable with "forever being the day that never came" i am thankful for our time together for the simple fact we improved each other dramatically.

But she and I only rolled and smoked dmt together. She had a rough and traumatic childhood suffers from depression and anxiety so long duration tripping, that doesnt reinforce happiness like MDMA, was not meant for her. Maybe now that she has almost conquered all her demons since she met me (reason why shes questioning our relationship no doubt, new found strength and confidence) she can trip and enjoy it. DMT blasted her into another dimension and she dealt with it but it was short enough for her to come to terms with it and be happy, she really loved pre breakthrough and said "the room looks so different omg" so part of her likes the idea.

Once I get mescaline i think we will start there for her introductory to herself. I really think now that she is well confident enough to leave me (unimaginable even a year ago) shes probably ready for some light tripping. If done correctly I think it can revitalize her passion for life fully, allow her to solidify her confidence in herself, and as others have put maybe get some guidance for both of us in this rapidly changing life we lead as former 3 year drug addicts.

Not to derail but before I say my tiny phrase on this I want to just say, dealing with a similar thing with my g/f. I try to gain comfort in the fact if she does leave me I can honestly say we are both better because we were with each other and as i get more comfortable with "forever being the day that never came" i am thankful for our time together for the simple fact we improved each other dramatically.

But she and I only rolled and smoked dmt together. She had a rough and traumatic childhood suffers from depression and anxiety so long duration tripping, that doesnt reinforce happiness like MDMA, was not meant for her. Maybe now that she has almost conquered all her demons since she met me (reason why shes questioning our relationship no doubt, new found strength and confidence) she can trip and enjoy it. DMT blasted her into another dimension and she dealt with it but it was short enough for her to come to terms with it and be happy, she really loved pre breakthrough and said "the room looks so different omg" so part of her likes the idea.

Once I get mescaline i think we will start there for her introductory to herself. I really think now that she is well confident enough to leave me (unimaginable even a year ago) shes probably ready for some light tripping. If done correctly I think it can revitalize her passion for life fully, allow her to solidify her confidence in herself, and as others have put maybe get some guidance for both of us in this rapidly changing life we lead as former 3 year drug addicts.

Nice post. I can really identify with what you're saying here. It takes a lot of maturity to reach those kind of realizations.

Nice post. I can really identify with what you're saying here. It takes a lot of maturity to reach those kind of realizations.

Yeah.... I know. Part of me is amazed I managed to go from shock and disbelieve to understanding in 5 days. The way I see it is we all get 2 options in this situation, fight a losing battle only making it worse through "showing what kind of person you really are" or accept it and do the same as previously mentioned but possibly get her to reconsider through understanding that this is how a soul mate would respond. Coming to this realization helped me to understand that we can still be friends should the worst happen but more importantly we should be friends still because we both still love each other she just claims not to be "in love" Life is strange like that id do anything to keep her... except make her unhappy as her happiness was my over all goal. So conflicting :/

I would do anything to have the heart to trip with her, if she feels capable and discuss what I am afraid to bring up. I know my love for her will prevent me from doing anything stupid because i know thats not what she would want and we constantly flop between it feeling like it use to and it feeling like we should be friends. I know that time will answer the question, the only thing i can really say is "forever can be quite the burden and I am happy i realized that "forever in love" may not be as important as "forever loved." Doesnt make it easier but it does help to accept it.