• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Relapse and messy taper including poly drug use. Clarity needed.

DrDarkside

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelight,
I am back on the forums after a long 8 years or so of sobriety. A long story short I relapsed after experiencing an appendicitis involving numerous accident and emergency visits and miss diagnosis. Finally I was operated on and they found I had a ruptured appendix.
During the period between my operation and one of the hospital visits I had ended up buying some Kratom as a way to alleviate the severe abdominal pains that may come and go, the Kratom obviously did nothing to stop those flare ups and I mainly used it recreationally.
After the operation I was sent home with a bottle of Oramorph (10mg/5ml 100ml) which I kind of savoured I didnt go too much over the reccomended amount.
After I finished the bottle and finished the Kratom things quickly went downhill, things get super blurry from here but I will try to explain dosages etc In as much detail as I can. I ended up getting 2 strips of Oxy 40mg's which were gone in about a week or 2, then I quickly moved over to Heroin, I smoked between 2-3 bags a day for about 3 weeks, during this time I was also taking the odd clonazepam and/or pregabalin (I went very low with the pregabalin, around 50mg, as it was simply to potentiate the opiates). After this period things were getting bad, people in my life found out and I wanted to get out of the mess, so I went and got a script for Subutex, I was put on a supervised script for 12mg which I only collected for about 2 weeks before I was sick of that too and wanted to end it (I will add that I abused my script most of the time by snorting them). So I rapidly tapered my pills, I wouldn't even call it a taper, I jumped down to 8mg then 4mg then just jumped off completley. I then used Ketamine, THC, Clonazepam (the benzo dosages rarley if ever went above a 2mg Clonaz daily), and Pregabalin to try and come off at home myself in my own stubborn ways. Now I understand its hard to give advice without proper dosages, but this is the best I can do. My concern is now that im on day 7 I still feel like shit (but it has got much, much better since the start), I haven't touched an opiate but I have been on pregabalin which I only have one 300mg capsule of left (I have used the Pregabalin in varying dosages but never over 600mg, the dosage was usually 150mg twice a day) this has been going on for just over a week, and around 650ml of beer a day (only for the last 3 days) and on and off a 2mg Clonazepam or 10-20mg Diazepam daily. My question is am I battering my GABA receptors to the point I may experience some kind of GABA withdrawal? or should I be in the clear, can I still use some benzos to alleviate anxiety/help sleep? or is it best to stop it all. I dont fully understand the difference in pharmacology when it comes to benzos, pregabalin and alcohol. My dosages have always been relativley small but its turned into such a cocktail of different drugs that Im not sure If I can still use a little bit of these 'helper' meds to get me through the last of this or not. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I was also taking the odd clonazepam and/or pregabalin (I went very low with the pregabalin, around 50mg, as it was simply to potentiate the opiates).
So did you take one a day? or two? for a week, two weeks?

So did you take one a day? or two? for a week, two weeks?
It is hard to give an exact response, the use was more sporadic than anything. I remember alternating days and I would also have off days, I rarley used both the pregabalin + clonazepam together. I would say for the most part my use has been normal reccomended medical amounts but spaced out over the last month. I think I may even have the discarded packaging of all the pharmaceuticals I used, I could go and count them to give an almost exact amount to how much I have used in the past month'ish.

If you take benzos for 3 weeks or less, at a normal dosage, you SHOULD be fine coming off of them cold turkey with no withdrawal. Everyone is different. I have heard of people getting triggered very easily into having seizures even from a couple weeks of xanax use at prescribed doses. But this is pretty freakin rare. I have withdrawaled severely from benzos alongside opioids and even coming off meth and GHB(the absolute scariest and worst WD by far of any drug) and somehow managed to never *knock on wood* have one of those devilish experiences. Just take your benzos as needed as disciplined as you can be, and you will be very well off. Benzos are amazing tools if you can use it in moderation!

If you take benzos for 3 weeks or less, at a normal dosage, you SHOULD be fine coming off of them cold turkey with no withdrawal. Everyone is different. I have heard of people getting triggered very easily into having seizures even from a couple weeks of xanax use at prescribed doses. But this is pretty freakin rare. I have withdrawaled severely from benzos alongside opioids and even coming off meth and GHB(the absolute scariest and worst WD by far of any drug) and somehow managed to never *knock on wood* have one of those devilish experiences. Just take your benzos as needed as disciplined as you can be, and you will be very well off. Benzos are amazing tools if you can use it in moderation!
Thanks for your advice. Do you know if there is any kind of cross tolerance between the benzo's and pregabalin I should be worried about?

Thanks for your advice. Do you know if there is any kind of cross tolerance between the benzo's and pregabalin I should be worried about?
There should not be any cross tolerance as they affect different GABA receptors/receptor subsites and pregabalin also exerts its effects through other channels as well..but dont go cold turkey off of both at once. In fact, i would save the lyrica for if you run out of those benzos, as it will help mitigate any residual withdrawals from them.

There should not be any cross tolerance as they affect different GABA receptors/receptor subsites and pregabalin also exerts its effects through other channels as well..but dont go cold turkey off of both at once. In fact, i would save the lyrica for if you run out of those benzos, as it will help mitigate any residual withdrawals from them.
Thanks again that is very helpful!

Day 8 today....almost feels worse than yesterday, could be due to less of the helper meds in my system as I have lowered them all. I hope I can get some Clonidine to stop all this hot and cold flushing, I thought I would be a bit more out of the woods by now but this is really starting to break me. Is there anything I can do not to go insane? I dont even want to watch anything today im just staring at the wall.

Last edited:
Day 8 today....almost feels worse than yesterday, could be due to less of the helper meds in my system as I have lowered them all. I hope I can get some Clonidine to stop all this hot and cold flushing, I thought I would be a bit more out of the woods by now but this is really starting to break me. Is there anything I can do not to go insane? I dont even want to watch anything today im just staring at the wall.
Do you not have any benzos left? I know that "cant do anything but stare at a wall feeling" all too well..days like that, its hard to even accomplish showering. If you have a bath tub i would take huge advantage of it. To me theres nothing better than a nice hot bath rushing on my lower extremities while i have cold air circulating over my upper body..to me this helps accommodate that uncomfortable goose flesh feeling tremendously.

Also, masturbation when in withdrawal gets vamped up during withdrawal phases since the opioids aren't suppressing any hormones now and it also helps pass the time as well as making you feel a lot better afterwards.

Do you not have any benzos left? I know that "cant do anything but stare at a wall feeling" all too well..days like that, its hard to even accomplish showering. If you have a bath tub i would take huge advantage of it. To me theres nothing better than a nice hot bath rushing on my lower extremities while i have cold air circulating over my upper body..to me this helps accommodate that uncomfortable goose flesh feeling tremendously.

Also, masturbation when in withdrawal gets vamped up during withdrawal phases since the opioids aren't suppressing any hormones now and it also helps pass the time as well as making you feel a lot better afterwards.
Once again, really appreciate the response. I have benzo's left but im scared to take them even though I should be ok. I could take a Clonazepam or Diazepam, I have a pretty good supply of both, theres more Diazepam than Clonaz left though. Maybe I should stop worrying about it and just start taking them because, relapse and suicidal thoughts are starting to cross my mind.
Also yes I can access a bath, I will do that I think, drying myself after and getting hit with another bout of goose flesh is what always puts me off though.

Once again, really appreciate the response. I have benzo's left but im scared to take them even though I should be ok. I could take a Clonazepam or Diazepam, I have a pretty good supply of both, theres more Diazepam than Clonaz left though. Maybe I should stop worrying about it and just start taking them because, relapse and suicidal thoughts are starting to cross my mind.
Also yes I can access a bath, I will do that I think, drying myself after and getting hit with another bout of goose flesh is what always puts me off though.
Yuck. I know that feeling as well. Why are you afraid to take them? Sounds like the benefits definitely outweigh any potential downsides. Detox centers use a variety of medication to help mitigate withdrawal symptoms: gabapentin, trazodone, seroquel, as well as klonopin or valium or ativan (but for some reason they refuse to give xanax, no idea why. Probably because it carries a bad stigma now). Just take a normal therapeutic dose. 5-10mg of valium to start, or 1-2mg of ativan, or 0.5-1mg of klonopin/xanax..I see no reason not to suggest this.🤷🏽‍♂️

Okay, reading the original post, let me rephrase things.

You gotta stop drinking first. Cut out the drinking, now take the dose of benzo you would typically take, and sustain that for at least a week before you start tapering down on your benzos. At that point you can add your pregabalin back in.

Yuck. I know that feeling as well. Why are you afraid to take them? Sounds like the benefits definitely outweigh any potential downsides. Detox centers use a variety of medication to help mitigate withdrawal symptoms: gabapentin, trazodone, seroquel, as well as klonopin or valium or ativan (but for some reason they refuse to give xanax, no idea why. Probably because it carries a bad stigma now). Just take a normal therapeutic dose. 5-10mg of valium to start, or 1-2mg of ativan, or 0.5-1mg of klonopin/xanax..I see no reason not to suggest this.🤷🏽‍♂️

Okay, reading the original post, let me rephrase things.

You gotta stop drinking first. Cut out the drinking, now take the dose of benzo you would typically take, and sustain that for at least a week before you start tapering down on your benzos. At that point you can add your pregabalin back in.
The only reason I have been afraid to take them is because my mind is foggy with how much benzo's I may have used while I was on the opiates, but I do know that it was minimal and medical doses most of the time, so I should be ok.
You are really helping me get through the last of this and I couldn't thank you enough my friend. Lastnight I ended up taking 2mg Clonazepam at around 3am as I woke up and couldn't sleep, it did help tremendously. I do not plan on drinking anymore, if anything its just messing with my guts. I think I will take 10mg Diazepam now and try not to take anymore for today, as I start feeling better I will taper using the Diazepam and add in little bits of Pregabalin for safe measure.

A little update for Day 9: Since the last post, the 10mg Diazepam has hardly done anything, maybe to be expected after having a 2mg Clonazepam? I almost feel more anxious and panicky than before. I did have some weed, which has probably contributed to that. I dont know what to do anymore, apart from either turn back to drink or take more benzos, im still in a state of not wanting to do anything. Its driving me insane, like rocking back and forth in a corner insane. I can't really see the light at the end of the tunnel if I am honest, I understand it will take a while for my brain to start producing some natural chemicals, I just didnt think it would be so severe, seeing as my relapse and turn around was very quick?! I guess the answer is that there is no simple answer and this will either make or break me.

Could anyone with experience tell me if this amount of usage is likley to cause dependance to either Pregabalin or Benzo's? (I counted all of my used packaging so this gives an almost exact amount used)
Since 21st October 2022:
x22 - 2mg Clonazepam
x9 - 5mg Diazepam
x17 - 300mg Pregabalin
As stated before this was not daily use, there were plenty gaps and switches between them. If I am to trust my gut I think im still just in Buprenorphine WD which seems to simply take its sweet fucking time. Thanks again Bluelight
P.s I know everyone reacts differently <3

Last edited: