• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Regional accents

Oh, sorry, slipped again ''Burning down the mouse;'.

It's a little-known fact that the British field-mouse is composed of almost entirely pure white phosphorous with potassium tert-butoxide for blood. That is why a modern pest-control technique is to shout hurtful and malign comments towards an infested site. The most sensitive mouse will shed a tear and whoomf!

I thought it was a clever idea until my collection of rare and unusual land-mines were subject to a plague of mice and the results costs the lives of 7 pest control operatives, 2 members of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Search Regiment and a journalist who chanced upon the story for his rag.

I'm not sorry about the journalist.

My gripe is with people who think there is ONE American Southern accent. Not just foreigners, but people from other parts of the US often believe this myth.

The American South is a huge area with various regions that vary in topography, urban/rural predominance, history, race, ethnicity, cultures, subcultures, and microcultures.

A few examples:

Florida is not part of the South, with the exception of the panhandle which we call LA (Lower Alabama).
Texas is its own country.
The Deep South (South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana) is its own region except for Charleston & Savannah, which are like European cities, and Atlanta & New Orleans which are city-states unto themselves and extremely different from each other
The Ozarks are different from the Southern Appalachians which are different from the Northern Appalachians.
The Gulf coast is distinct from the Atlantic coast.
West Virginia is just West Virginia.
Kentucky is just weird.
The east, middle, and west thirds of Tennessee might as well be three entirely different states.

I could go on but you get the idea.

Within all these regions are accents, dialects, and variations on dialects. It's all fascinating and quite beautiful IMHO.

Frankie, like a lot of comedians, have gone all woke/political for me. Someone feed him some tramadol so he’s funny again.
Boyle?

He took acid and wrote a book. Problem is, he had a broken contract with the BBC and works knowing he knows stuff and is sanitised (compromised). Very sad.

Sean Lock was definitely the definitive mayor of fun.

Boyle?

He took acid and wrote a book. Problem is, he had a broken contract with the BBC and works knowing he knows stuff and is sanitised (compromised). Very sad.

Sean Lock was definitely the definitive mayor of fun.
He took acid more than once, and it changed his outlook. He was already a huge fan of Bill Hicks, who took a fair bit acid. He's protecting his BBC contract. Who here wouldn't protect their job. Anybody disagreeing, in his position, I call bullshit.

I let Nutt admit that he 'self-tested' before mentioning that we had self-tested as well.

He even lowered his voice, in his own office!

TBH the respect I have for him is that he was prepared to say so... I mean, how ELSE could I confidently had said 'alcohol mimic' even if we had trialled it on a group alcohol-dependent users. Maybe the affect on non-dependant users would be different? It was, turns out reverse-tolerance is a thing.....

Dude, this is rare, extremely rare, but I'll give you fkn tea drinkers credit when it comes to British actors using American accents and doing it well enough that I need to look them up to find out they aren't Americans
So true.
It amazes me how well they can drop the "foreign" language and be merican. Most times I do not have a clue until there is some content re: bio, an at "home" flick or other revealing the nature of their actual origin(s).
Later

I found this guys video and channel recently, and pretty damn amazing it is too. He certainly knows a thing or 2 about accents and languages.

Although the video isn't a complete tour of ever single variation on English accents, it does cover a lot of ground for quite a short clip. I'd like to see him do a very thorough follow up though, covering all the accents that he missed on this one.

I come from a town 11 miles from Manchester and yet ANYONE from the North of England would INSTANTLY recgonize it.

The be even more exact, I come from a village 4 miles from the town that is 11 miles from Manchester and people from Manchester can even tell which village it is.

My family is pretty wealthy - it's a rural area at the foot of the Pennines and I have had multiple people make jokes about my having a 'posh accent'. Actually, all it really consists of is the fact that we rarely if ever use slang. So my speech is accented but generally grammatically correct.

In my case that is more than doubled because:

1)My mother was a journalist and then the editor of a regional newspaper so even from being a small child, I was strongly encouraged to speak in correct English.
2)I had a private education (back in the days when 'the cane' represented corporal punishment and yes, you WERE warned but if after a warning you continued to use slang terms and/or phrases - WHACK (x 6 - or x 12 if it was the second occurence).

The irony is that I am dyslexic so from age 5 to 24 I had to carry a full-sized Cambridge dictionary with me at all times. I SUCKED at French and Latin because I simply COULD NOT learn the spelling and this school did NOT recognise dyslexia - it was laziness in their opinion.

So YEARS of fruitless education when I could have been taught 2 extra sciences....

The Greater Manchester accents are a big subject in their own right - so much variation and evolution.

From what you've said, one of the towns you'd be referring to must be either Bury, Bolton, Rochdale, or Oldham. Each town with it's own distinctive accent that I could easily place. As to the actual village, no idea, there's so many to choose from, but yeah it's amazing how even villages can have their own unique accent.

It's very similar in Wales where one small town just 16 miles from another can have a completely different accent. Especially if there's a big mountain in between the 2 towns, and it separates Mid-Wales from North Wales, as in the case of say Machynlleth and Dolgellau. Most English people are completely unable to pronounce those place names and have no idea how to......

Last edited:
Despite having a Geordie accent myself, I'm sometimes asked if I'm from Wales if talking to strangers on the phone. Most people get it right, though, even though I don't have a massively broad accent.

Supposedly the Geordie accent dates back from when the Vikings landed and started pillaging/raping/integrating.
If you ever hear Norwegians talking, you can definitely hear similarities at times.

Yay, Wales! Welsh is best. :)

No - it's complex because when written using the Latin alphabet, it's not possible to encode certain phonemes so they are estimated. This makes it unsatisfactory for the Welsh speakers and Welsh learners alike,

Of course, we ALL know 1 Welsh word. The most famous brand of cornflakes in the world have an image of a cockerel on the box and use the Welsh word for cockerel AS the brand-name.

Eh up ya fuckin cunt, we're talkin' the dog's fuckin bollocks 'ere ain't we innit bruv?

Or summat...

The Greater Manchester accents are a big subject in their own right - so much variation and evolution.

From what you've said, one of the towns you'd be referring to must be either Bury, Bolton, Rochdale, or Oldham. Each town with it's own distinctive accent that I could easily place. As to the actual village, no idea, there's so many to choose from, but yeah it's amazing how even villages can have their own unique accent.

It's very similar in Wales where one small town just 16 miles from another can have a completely different accent. Especially if there's a big mountain in between the 2 towns, and it separates Mid-Wales from North Wales, as in the case of say Machynlleth and Dolgellau. Most English people are completely unable to pronounce those place names and have no idea how to......

Well done. Now go north-west about 4 miles...

And I don't know if it's just my Google that brings up the image of a castle... But that's the house I was brought up in. Not the whole castle, that would be ridiculous. Just one of the 10 or 11 houses it was converted into.

So even people from Bury noted my accent wasn't QUITE local. Unique to about 35 people, I imagine.

Well done. Now go north-west about 4 miles...

And I don't know if it's just my Google that brings up the image of a castle... But that's the house I was brought up in. Not the whole castle, that would be ridiculous. Just one of the 10 or 11 houses it was converted into.

So even people from Bury noted my accent wasn't QUITE local. Unique to about 35 people, I imagine.
I'm interested in the accents in the villages that fall in between the 4 major towns to the North of Manchester that I've mentioned.

Let me pick a village half way between Bury and Bolton, for example. Due to their very unique and different accents. Presumably the accent in a village located half way in between would be something of a mix of the Bury and Bolton accent. But I mean, would most of that village speak with same accent? Would the accents in the different villages become more Bury or Bolton as you got nearer to one town or the other? Wouldn't it depend more in general upon particular individuals as to who they hung out with most?

It would be interesting to have grown up and lived in those parts to have heard all these accents and met all these people from the different villages through school and work etc.

BTW the simple reason why the UK accent varies even across small distances is because the language developed before the communication age, in fact an age when an average person would be unlikely to travel further than ten miles from their home.