European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Recommend MANY MORE Movies vrs. 3 or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with the "universal appeal" thing at all. For one thing it's impossible to achieve and for another thing it puts artificial limits on the thing before it even starts. Also, isn't a big part of the idea to get us all watching stuff that we may never have considered watching otherwise? Yeah if it starts to get ridiculous with folks only picking uberniche films that repeatedly fail to impress anybody else that could be addressed but I don't see any need to start off with any preconditions for "acceptable" recommendations.

As for the practicalities of it all, I reckon that someone - anyone who fancies going first - to post a thread with the first recommendation and take it from there. The way it worked out with that Goon biznizz did suggest that those of us who really do like our films can just get on and do it with minimal faff if we want to - just need someone to take the plunge and get the ball rolling really.

My suggestion for a starter would be to maybe go for one of that flurry of French films that all got recommendations towards the end of that last thread cos quite a few folks showed interest, several seemed to be ones not many had seen already, and most of 'em seemed to be the kinda thing that would be relative crowd-pleasers. Not that the crowd-pleasing is required necessarily but for the sake of goodwill to get us started... why not?

(ulterior motive being that i've just purchased several of 'em so have a few to hand and was gonna watch 'em anyway ;))

But am easy really. Anyone wanna start the thread with any of those or summat else entirely? Do eeeeet! :)

I'll only really be able to watch films that are on netflix or lovefilm, I say you should start the thread shammy, pick one of your french films and get it going :)

I've deleted Goon to make way for Oldboy. Should I create a special MSB directory so I can just delete them all at the end of the month, or is this one going to be any good? ;)

Haha, Oldboy is 50/10, it is brilliant. If you don't enjoy Oldboy I despair!

I don't agree with the "universal appeal" thing at all. For one thing it's impossible to achieve and for another thing it puts artificial limits on the thing before it even starts. Also, isn't a big part of the idea to get us all watching stuff that we may never have considered watching otherwise? Yeah if it starts to get ridiculous with folks only picking uberniche films that repeatedly fail to impress anybody else that could be addressed but I don't see any need to start off with any preconditions for "acceptable" recommendations.

As for the practicalities of it all, I reckon that someone - anyone who fancies going first - to post a thread with the first recommendation and take it from there. The way it worked out with that Goon biznizz did suggest that those of us who really do like our films can just get on and do it with minimal faff if we want to - just need someone to take the plunge and get the ball rolling really.

My suggestion for a starter would be to maybe go for one of that flurry of French films that all got recommendations towards the end of that last thread cos quite a few folks showed interest, several seemed to be ones not many had seen already, and most of 'em seemed to be the kinda thing that would be relative crowd-pleasers. Not that the crowd-pleasing is required necessarily but for the sake of goodwill to get us started... why not?

(ulterior motive being that i've just purchased several of 'em so have a few to hand and was gonna watch 'em anyway ;))

But am easy really. Anyone wanna start the thread with any of those or summat else entirely? Do eeeeet! :)

By universal appeal I mean universal appeal to the vast majority of us. I could even watch a chick flick if it was well done. So as long as the film is high quality I think that's an easy enough box to tick! For instance although i'm sure people will find flaws in Ne Le Dis a Personne I think everyone won't come away hating me for the recommendation ;)

OldBoy is an excellent film.

+1

459bb122101d0ef0ee4a71d3006c5330.jpeg

Ended up watching Werckmeister Harmonies last night. Painfully slow going in places, but theres a few gems in there if you can stick with it. Still not sure what to make of it, as it made even less sense than Eraserhead! Though judging from what the director had to say about it, I'm not sure there is much to be taken from it. Existential nihilism, the fragility of society, and the passage of time is what I got from it.

Bela Tarr said:
I despise stories, as they mislead people into believing that something has happened. In fact, nothing really happens as we flee from one condition to another ... All that remains is time. This is probably the only thing that's still genuine -- time itself; the years, days, hours, minutes and seconds.

You're probably gonna need a shit load of weed/benzos/MXE or all three combined to get through it. That was my method anyway. :D

^ Looks right up my alley does that one. Never heard of it so thanks for the tip. Will be purchasing that one methinks :)

MSB: I still don't really get the "universal appeal" bit - and I suspect you'd be lucky to get any two people to agree on what constitutes "high quality" either. Just means second guessing other peoples' taste and narrowing choice. Unless the whole thing turns into a total filmnerd obscurities-a-go-go zone of ghetto geekdom I'd suggest that's a bridge only need crossing if we actually reach it. When it comes down to it, nobody's being forced to watch owt they don't fancy so keep it simple and only tackle potential wrinkles in the minimal system if they actually need tackling, I'd say. This is EADD - free and easy tends to be the way to go cos most of us struggle somewhat when it comes to staying within arbitrary rules by nature ;)

Mugz: I'm happy to pick out one or two of the French selections and put 'em out there for the EADD Republic of Free Film to decide upon if nobody else gets on it with an alternative. Given that it was Mz Marmz' idea it's only fair she should get first refusal to do the honours of choosing the inaugural flick though so will hang fire for now and see if she pops in later.

Blimey. At this rate we'll be up to brewery-based pissup organisation with a few more years' practice 8o

I don't think universal appeal is necessary either to be honest, in my opinion it is better to pick a film that not everyone will love so that there can be a balanced discussion with people adding positives and negatives about it. Maybe a different person each week or fortnight can pick the film, maybe a film that they like, and then people watch it and share their opinions.

I mostly concur, Mugz. Personally I'd keep any rules to an absolute minimum cos we just end up discussing such things more than the films themselves and just getting on with it otherwise. Crack on and see how it goes - make any adjustments on the fly stylee.

Quite kean on movie docs, some i recommend:

Gonzo: Life and work of doctor hunter S thompson,
American: The bill hicks story
Scratch
Tyson: The Movie
Senna
Man On Wire
Exit through the gift Shop
Countdown to Zero

*cough* Documentary Thread *cough*

Feature length docs are still docs ;)

But bringing 'em to a wider audience is surely a Good Thing so I retract my overly-hasty coughing fit. Carry on :)

Speaking of carrying on, an executive decision has been made and I'll be posting the inaugaral suggestion(s) for the film club shortly. Just cooking me dins and wading through a mountain of PMs whilst simultaneously keeping up a steady dripfeed of my usual postwhoring stuff elsewhere at the mo but will be on it soonest. Multitasking: not just for wimminz.

EDIT: Doh! I snoozed and therefore loozed - looks like Mr SB got in there before me. As long as the ball is in motion all is well. Off to check he hasn't gone and made a hash of it by recommending Goon II: Pucking Hell or summat now :D

OldBoy is an excellent film.

The corridor fight-scene is one of my all time favourite scenes in my cinema history :)

Watched this the other night (again, last time I saw it I was pished and amnesia set in 8) ) :
Ong-Bak

Tony+Jaa+Career.jpg

Amazing Thai film and there are no wires or CGI when it comes to the "action scenes" :)
Worth the watch indeed. Enveloping, intruiging, exciting and mucho fun ;)

I've had to stop watching Oldboy half way through. I have no idea what's going on! This is probably because I only slept for an hour last night. It looks nice and I laughed twice but fuck knows what's happening. :? I'll retry after Zs.

Definitely worth a second attempt post-snoozez, Knock. Can't recommend that one highly enough. Classic of its ilk <3

Name one person out of all the people who have expressed an interest in this film club who doesn't already like oldboy Out of the whole of EADD I can only think of 1 or 2 people who might dislike oldboy.

OldBoy is a brilliant film but it's hardly a mainstream film that would be liked by all. Too quirky, violent and strange for most people though there will be enough people on EADD who like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.