• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Quote from the Dalai Lama on spiritual progress

Flickering

Bluelighter
"We must take responsibility for our own spiritual lives and rely upon nobody and nothing... If another being were able to save us, surely he would have done so? It is time, therefore, that we help ourselves." - 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso

I think no matter what your creed, or however you interpret your 'spiritual life', this is something any reasonable person can find common ground on.

Personal responsibility is a good thing. Not sure why it should become more true just because the Dalai Lama said it.

my parents think that jesus is going to come back to earth as a second coming, and will save all the believers, i think that means the rest of us get vaporised and go to hell ;)

I agree with what you have said here OP. Positive change must come from within. Positive change to me brings spiritual growth. When we grow in spirit our ability to spread that love and kindness becomes much stronger. We feed off of each others energy. We must first help ourselves before we can be expected to help others, not unlike before we love someone else we must first love and accept ourselves.

Personal responsibility is a good thing. Not sure why it should become more true just because the Dalai Lama said it.

I don't think he said that. I think he just felt the Dalai Lama weighed in with some well-phrased advice, no matter how intuitive this may be. I guess that there is added profundity when such a figure as the Dalai Lama says it for some reason.

Just imagine if it had been John Lennon! :)

Other beings are merely pointers, as are we. No one can walk the road for us…. nor carry their luggage. I can help others unpack, but what's inside is theirs and theirs alone to take the responsibility for. Reliance or dependence on another human being isn't healthy. One must find our own way as hard as it can be, it is necessary to live fully

my parents think that jesus is going to come back to earth as a second coming, and will save all the believers, i think that means the rest of us get vaporised and go to hell ;)

I'm already here and I ain't saving nobody!

I overheard one of those awesome conversations between a devout christian and a 'less' devout who couldn't understand why belief and not good deeds would keep one from burning in hell for eternity. :\