• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Quitting methadone after limited use

beyondparadise

Greenlighter
Hey guys. My pain doctor put me on methadone 10mg/day and I've been taking it for about two weeks and I want to stop taking it. My doctor told me "so stop taking it then" but after reading about how long the half life is and some of the horror stories here, I am afraid to just quit.

Do you guys think I will experience any withdrawal symptoms? It has been 24 hours since I took my last dose and I don't feel anything.

I have kratom, loperamide, and clonidine on hand just in case, but would really like some advice. My doctor seems to not believe in withdrawal and says it's all mental.... well I know that is not true because I helped my friend go through withdrawal and it was hell. I dont want to experience that.

Any advice is appreciated.

methadone wd symtoms don't tend to show themselves for 2-3 days after discontinuation as it has quite a long half-life (as you mentioned)
that being said - two weeks isn't long enough to get hooked on methadone unless you've already been addicted to opiates before
but even then - the reason methadone wd's tend to take so long is the person experiencing them has usually been on it for years which makes it all the worse.

you should be fine man.
your doctor sounds like a dick but in this instance, yeah, just stop taking it.

Last edited:
I agree with keeping- you probably won't feel much withdrawals from two weeks using 10 mg methadone a day. However, I think your pain will return. Is he prescribing you something else besides methadone or are you not using any other medications?