• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Quick Question on Barbiturates and Benzos

TheSacredTree

Bluelighter
Just curious, does anyone know whether Secobarbital and Pentobarbital are still prescribed to humans for reasons other than the death penalty? Are they even around at all anymore in the US?

Just curious, does anyone know whether Secobarbital and Pentobarbital are still prescribed to humans for reasons other than the death penalty? Are they even around at all anymore in the US?

I think for epilepsy and maybe cluster headaches, though I don't know about their efficacy for the latter.

Secobarbital is still indicated for severe, treatment-resistant insomnia, as far as I know.

Yeah, mostly just for epilepsy and SEVERE insomnia like the above posters said. What's your benzo question btw?

Some doctors still prescribe them, but not many. The overdose risk is too great compared to benzos. I talked to one guy who said his doc would prescribe barbiturates before Xanax but that's definitely the exception.

I thought they were only used in hospitals as part of a cocktail for general anesthesia (like the more commonly used propofol).

Phenobarbital is fairly easy to get hold of. I've seen fioricet (a pill containing butalbital, codeine and caffeine) on the black market but it's expensive and rare as fuck. I've never come across seco-, pento- or amobarbital despite extensive searching.
The closest alternatives (that aren't as good as impossible to obtain) would probably be carisoprodol/meprobamate, GHB and methaqualone. Methaqualone is still available on the black market and from what I've read it's a lot nicer than any barb... it's like the holy grail of GABAergic drugs.

Lol. Not sure what i was doing when i made this post but i don't remember it at all. And i don't even think i had a question about benzos. Haha

Thanks for the responses though.

I think i might've been trying to get prescribed one for my insomnia a few months ago but he chose Ambien instead.

I highly doubt u Will find a doc these days to prescribe a barb unless u r rich n famous

Fioricet is around very frequently, only barb i really see. (butalbital) however most people don't fuck with it. I've had my struggles abusing it though, i've found some recreational usage with it, but its more harm than good. and i mixed it with alot of other things so. Its mainly RX'd for migraines, cluster headaches etc.

My buddy had a bottle of Phenobarbital, that he had because it was prescribed to his dog by a vet, I forgot the reason his dog needed it. Not sure if thats the same thing your talken about (Pentobarbital) or if they are 2 different things. Not a Benzo/Barb expert by any means.

I'm prescribed fioricet for my migraine's and it has a barbituarate, and let me tell you firsthand it works, and it works well. The high is sort of like a xanax high, but to me it's better, because xanax doesnt last that long, but this high is very good, and almost like a very pleasant drunken feeling, the only problem is this is very addictive, and i literally blew through like 8 pills one day, after only using them for like less than a week, granted it did fuck me up very much, i spread it out through the day and took like 2, then i took another 2 a couple hours later, then i topped it off with 3 like 30 minutes after i took the last two, and that 3 was what sent me over the edge, and i was high asf, but let me also tell you that they will kill you very easily, and i don't reccomend using this alot, because you will become addicted, and the odds of it eventually killing you is pretty high.

Phenobarbital is still used as a treatment for epilepsy in animals, also in humans in certain cases. I think aside from that benzos are still more widely prescribed.

There may be a few stragglers who get prescribed phenobarbital/secobarbital and there are things like sodium thiopental still manufactured for anesthesia induction.

In a perfect world, I would prefer a barb script over my zopiclone. Albeit, I would probably end up killing myself by mistake when I'm drinking