• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quick, easy, light and tasty food recipes that you invented or improved!

I thought these were worth posting here,since they are so rediculous, and since some people eat these??
They are definately easy, but I'm not sure about the required taste!

>Caterpillar Pretzels (Mexico)

Yeah... There was a website I saw a while back... can't seem to find it.. about eating insects. Pretty interesting how I'm conditioned to think nothing of eating animals yet get grossed out by bugs. I guess they're healthier and it would be better for our environment(supposedly). I suppose they would be "quick, easy and light" but I donno if I'd find them tasty lol :D

Great broccoli recipe! I had some from my garden last year and I would just dip those into peanut or almond butter and munch away... Pretty decent but not as decadent as eating it was melted cheese. :)

Socată (Elder flower brew)

This is a traditional beverage in my country. Elders have already flowered this year but this recipe's to keep, I make it every year. The best soft drink I've ever drunk: flavorful, sparkling, slightly alcoholic and acidic. Not to mention natural and with low sugar content.

For a 5 liter jar you need:

-2 handfuls of Elder tree flowers
-0,5kg sugar
-the juice and zest of 2-3 lemons
-5g of fresh yeast or 2g of dried yeast

Add the ingredients in the jar and fill with water. Let it ferment for 2-3 days, bottle it in plastic bottles, cap them and leave them outside for another 1-2 days for them to build up carbonation. Put them in the fridge and leave them another 2 days for the yeast to settle on the bottom. That's it!

Time: 20min work, 5-7 days of waiting.

This sounds great. I've had some European and home-made elderberry "sodas" before and they were amazing, so I'm looking forward to making this.

Thanks for the recipe.

^ In my country we also eat fish sperm and various animals' brains. The latter are really good, plus they nurture the zombie in you.

Now for the tasty part...

Membrillo con queso

I stole this recipe from the Spaniards when I visited them. It is for them what pb&j is for Americans.

-get creamy, non-fermented sweet cheese
-mix it with quince jam in about 2:1 proportion (or to taste :p)
-put it on a slice of bread
-take a bite out of it
-chew it for a while
-swallow it

Really simple procedure and provides a large amount of satisfaction.

^ In my country we also eat fish sperm and various animals' brains. The latter are really good, plus they nurture the zombie in you.

Now for the tasty part...

Membrillo con queso

I stole this recipe from the Spaniards when I visited them. It is for them what pb&j is for Americans.

-get creamy, non-fermented sweet cheese
-mix it with quince jam in about 2:1 proportion (or to taste :p)
-put it on a slice of bread
-take a bite out of it
-chew it for a while
-swallow it

Really simple procedure and provides a large amount of satisfaction.

Hmmm, Jam and cheese? What kind of cheese would it be of your description?
Jam and cheese slammed on bread, is not a recipe!
You are being lazy! The rest is just the mechanics of eating!!

I'm not sure about the fish semen though.....can an ovulating girl get pregnant eating it? =D I don't mind the brain, if it is well fried-and I would suggest vinegar poured over them in the end of the frying, it takes that slashy taste off.

Fish sperm sounds gross, but back here we eat duck embryo and the head and cheeks of the pig so who am I to say? :p

Lets get more SIMPLE and easy recipes people!

Hmmm, Jam and cheese? What kind of cheese would it be of your description?
Jam and cheese slammed on bread, is not a recipe!
You are being lazy! The rest is just the mechanics of eating!!

I'm not sure about the fish semen though.....can an ovulating girl get pregnant eating it? =D I don't mind the brain, if it is well fried-and I would suggest vinegar poured over them in the end of the frying, it takes that slashy taste off.

The cheese should be more like a 'cheese spread' specifically made for sandwiches (for example some brands we get here are Philadelphia and Hochland Creme). But any creamy cheese will do.

If you eat enough fish sperm you will give birth to mermaids ;)

Brain is best IMO eaten breaded and well-spiced.
It's also good when you boil a lamb's head in soup and crack the skull open and eat the brain directly from the skull, like in Hannibal :p The eyes are good too

Lets get back on topic . This is the recipe thread, not the "unusual and exotic foods from your country" thread. If you want , make a separate thread and talk about it there. Any more off topic posts will be unapproved.

Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic prawns) - my moms recipe, easy, filling, super dooper garlicky and savoury. I make mine much spicier than what my family is used to eating ;) I also love using prawns or large shrimps, more to bite!

24 large shrimp (prawns) (shelled and deveined)
8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (yum cant ya tell I love garlic,you may use more if you wish!)
¼ cup parsley leaves, loosely packed
3/4 cup olive oil
two tbsp butter (extra richness to the sauce)
1 tsp spanish paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Sea salt to taste, freshly ground black pepper
Dried chili flakes, half a birds eye chili (local pepper that is super hot), or any chili you like

- Slice the garlic cloves. Pile the parsley leaves over the sliced garlic, then sprinkle the pile with salt. Chop everything together.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. When the oil is hot toss the garlic/parsley mix and the chilis in. Let it sizzle for about 10-20 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and immediately sprinkle the paprika, cayenne pepper and freshly ground black pepper and add the butter.
- Cook until shrimp is just pink and juicy done, usually taking about 2 minutes
- Take it off the heat, sprinkle some dried chili flakes on top (with some leftover chopped parsley) and serve immediately.

Pinquito Bean Salad

* 1/2 pound Santa Maria pinquito beans
* 2 green scallions
* 1 small red onion
* 1 bell pepper or Fresno jalapeño pepper
* 1/3 cup Mission olive oil
* 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
* Juice of 1-1/2 lemons
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon oven-roasted Sonoran garlic

1. Soak the pinquito beans in a bowl overnight. Drain the water, and place the beans in a cooking pot with fresh water. Boil uncovered for 1-1/2 hours or until tender but firm. Meanwhile, grill the scallions, onion, and pepper until slightly caramelized or charred on the outside, then dice. (Choose either a jalapeño or a bell pepper, depending on your tolerance for heat.)

2. Drain the beans and place them in a large glass mixing bowl, and combine with olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, diced vegetables, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and roasted garlic. Chill for several hours, then toss with spoons just prior to serving.

tuna + mayo + 2 hard boiled eggs + finely chopped red onion = awesome tuna/egg egg salad
glop said "salad" onto big piece of rye w/ lots of mustard on it
melt lots of extra sharp cheddar on top. Soooo mouthwatering....

Also,
Fry crumbled up tempeh with oil and dashes of soy sauce (added midway)
mix fried C. U. T. in a bowl with hummus and a little tahini (if available, not necessary).
Wrap mix in tortilla of choice with grated carrots, lettuce, or veggies of choice. :L (drooling smiley)

improved fruit salad:
chop up choice fruit, say bananas + apples as the base.
Add a cup of apple sauce, raisins and lots of cinnamon. :F

What else...

Next time you make an omelet, try frying up cubed bread (& tempeh) along with the onions n' veggies. Absorbs the oil and egg and is just ... :E

Homemade Chocolate

This betrays the spirit of the Healthy Living forum as it will add 8-12 pounds to the belly of everybody who has the imprudence of making it. But here I unleash it as a test of everyone's resolve and fortitude:

Ingredients:
-1 part cocoa
-2 parts full fat butter
-4 parts water
-10 parts milk powder
-10 parts sugar
-flavoring to taste: rum essence, vanilla, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, dried apricots, orange peel, rose water etc.

Instructions:
-put water and butter in a pan, heat until butter melts
-add sugar, heat until dissolved
-pour onto milk powder and cocoa, mix until homogeneous
-mix in flavorings

Time - ~20min

^^^Thank you cocamatic-you now inspired me for the unusual!!!!....in the bottom section here!

Broccoli Cheese Soup

This recipe is a great way to get kids to eat their broccoli. This is very nutritious
with lots of calcium for growing bodies.

1/2 lb. broccoli, chopped
1 3/4 cups boiling water
Salt
2 tbsp. chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
3 tbsp. flour
3 1/2 cups evaporated milk
4 cups skim milk
3 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Pepper to taste

Cook broccoli until tender in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
Cook onion in butter until tender but not brown. Blend in flour. Add
both milks and cook, stirring frequently, until smooth and thickened.
Add cheese and broccoli and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir until cheese is melted. Heat soup through but do not boil.

I'd like to try this... is there anything I can substitute for the evaporated milk? I assume it's a thickener, so maybe some butter/flower mix?

Have you tried mixing in some mustard with your tuna and mayo? it's really good :)

Here's another quick one, more suitable for dinner ... requires some baking in the oven but nothing major.

Veggie/Meat "Pie"

Take a few slices of bread and cut the crust off. Dip them in some milk and make a layer of them on the bottom of a baking pan (this will keep the bread from drying like toast, and it will golden nicely)

Fine chop some celery, some green peppers, some onions and some steak/chicken left-overs or lunch meat if you don't have anything else (or whatever meat you want, you can use ground beef or whatever, but it requires a longer cooking time ... you can also use whatever veggies you want, but the celery and onions are sooooo yummy together). Cook everything in a pan in a few drops of oil to golden the celery and onions. This mix is also rly good just to eat on sandwiches :p

Spread everything over the bread and put in the oven. Wait till everything is hot, beat some eggs and pour them over your food. Bake again until the eggs are cooked. You can also add some shredded cheese over this.

Sounds like some work ... but it takes less than 30 minutes

Just made this... very good, and pretty easy to make. I wouldn't call it light, though (the bread makes it feel pretty heavy :p). I didn't have any meat, so I used boca burger; that added an interesting touch. *You got my approval. :)

I just did this:

quick late dessert:

in a small bowl, two fig newtons (or fig newmans, in my case) side by side

glob and spread peanut butter (almond butter, in my case) on top.

Pour a little milk (almond milk, in my case) into the bowl.

Eat with spoon.

Bring a cup of water to a light boil in a saucepan. Simmer enough cous cous (whole wheat) to fill a plate (I have never measured exactly how much is needed) with any Trader Joe's Indian or Thai simmer sauce for 5 to 10 minutes. After removing from heat, add several tablespoons (measured before grinding) ground flax, garlic (or this can be added earlier to roast it a bit), ginger, cumin, and mustard (powder, not that condiment with HFCS).

Last edited:
I'd like to try this... is there anything I can substitute for the evaporated milk? I assume it's a thickener, so maybe some butter/flower mix?

Use cream, but it has a higher fat content. You can also make something to that thickens or consistency, with milk powder. It adds to the taste! Or else, if you don't use dairy products, then just mix some arrowroot or corn starch, but it ain't going to give you the same taste though, perhaps add a little extra butter in it.
You already have butter in the recipe, you might make it too greasy. :)

tuna + mayo + 2 hard boiled eggs + finely chopped red onion = awesome tuna/egg egg salad
glop said "salad" onto big piece of rye w/ lots of mustard on it
melt lots of extra sharp cheddar on top. Soooo mouthwatering....

Yah...I add chopped celery and some curry powder into mine for a nice spicy kick...mmm so good.

Next time you make an omelet, try frying up cubed bread (& tempeh) along with the onions n' veggies. Absorbs the oil and egg and is just ... :E

A like to make delicous scrambled eggs with a pat of butter (so good), some camembert cheese (grated, mixed in) ... the rich creaminess of both the eggs and cheese melting together is just so deliciously decadent. I add some lightly sauteed asparagus stalks cut into 1 inch pieces into the scramble and the bright green color just reins it all perfectly. YUM!

Pinquito Bean Salad

* 1/2 pound Santa Maria pinquito beans
* 2 green scallions
* 1 small red onion
* 1 bell pepper or Fresno jalapeño pepper
* 1/3 cup Mission olive oil
* 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
* Juice of 1-1/2 lemons
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon oven-roasted Sonoran garlic

1. Soak the pinquito beans in a bowl overnight. Drain the water, and place the beans in a cooking pot with fresh water. Boil uncovered for 1-1/2 hours or until tender but firm. Meanwhile, grill the scallions, onion, and pepper until slightly caramelized or charred on the outside, then dice. (Choose either a jalapeño or a bell pepper, depending on your tolerance for heat.)

2. Drain the beans and place them in a large glass mixing bowl, and combine with olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, diced vegetables, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and roasted garlic. Chill for several hours, then toss with spoons just prior to serving.

From Renewing America's Food Traditions by Deborah Madison and Gary Paul Nabhan (Chelsea Green Publishing, 2008 ). Copyright 2008 by Deborah Madison and Gary Paul Nabhan. All rights reserved.

The following recipe for bean salad comes from the Far Western Tavern near Santa Maria, via the California Farm Bureau Federation.

1/2 pound Santa Maria pinquito beans
2 green scallions
1 small red onion
1 bell pepper or Fresno jalapeño pepper
1/3 cup Mission olive oil
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
Juice of 1-1/2 lemons
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon oven-roasted Sonoran garlic

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/salad_pinquito.shtml

If you're going to use others' recipes at least credit them for it. You've done this more than once in this thread (not to mention countless others across the board) and it's annoying. The thread says 'recipes that you invented or improved' not 'that you copy and pasted WORD FOR WORD from another website without giving them credit'. 8( I can't believe you call people out for being 'lazy'. 8(

Sorry mc for being off-topic but I think it needs addressing. <3

Last edited:
Thanks for that A -- :) We've already addressed the matter privately and will see what happens, hopefully will not be repeated (as its already been done twice in this thread as noticed by mysef and others. )
Now lets get on to recipes we invented or improved upon. :)

This is something I just invented. It's so damn good. If you make money off the idea I will hunt you down. I know where you all live.

Blend pitted dates into a chunky mush
dump into mixing bowl with chunky almond butter
add some coarsely ground sunflower seeds

mix all together into sweet nutty goo.

roll into bite-size balls and roll firmly in coconut, sesame seeds, or spice mix of your own mixing.

I call them "good-for-you truffles."