• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Questions bout getting on the dole - for you fucking blugy khunts!

psytaco

Bluelighter
So I'm finishing myh contract up in a bit under 6 weeks time. I doubt that I will continue at this place because though the work is enjoyable and I excel at it (it can be pretty boring on ocasdion), I am crossly over qualified under paid. They offered me the same 4 days a week schedule which is nice in a way, but I would rather be working 5 days. I have done good work so my role has been offered to me again for another so I don't want it.

Anyway, because is oretty tight and there I as good chance our landload won't give our bond back due to breaking to lease, I am going to need some sort of a income until late January comes around and there will be plenty of oppotunites to score worki in I am smart about it.

Anyway on to the real quesiom, If you're applyimg newstart how long does it generally take to get the files filled in appoved? Will I get backpay from when I get officially finish a job. for a single male with no kids, what is the likely fortnighly pay?

Now in terms of job interviews and having to incontact with employers regualry. What does this involve?

And finally if you have savings in your account is this safe? Or do you have to take them all out due to the checking the banl accounts.

Anyway, good luck reading my rambling note. I am currently taking stilnox so some of it doesnt make sense

I can't answer your questions about how long it'll take or how much you'll get paid (that should be available on the centrelink website though...) but I can tell you my experience from being on it about 7 years ago...it's not worth the freaking hassle!

All you had to do back then was contact 10 places a fortnight, they didn't even have to be offering jobs. When i lived in the city, this was easy, but, i had to move back to my folks on the coast where calling ten places meant I only had 7 left for the next fortnight...

I ended up getting casual work in a government dept. which was really well paid but I needed to stay on newstart for the times there was no work. There was no concession for the fortnights i worked full time; i was still expected to "apply" for 10 jobs, attend job network meetings and be available for job interviews, even if this meant giving up paid work! it took me ages to argue and be able to fax my forms in so that I didn't have to give up work to go to the dole office and hand in a form which gave me no money anyway!

What I'm trying to get across is that it's a bureaucratic system that doesn't allow for individual cases, nor common sense. everyone is tarred with the same brush.

I reckon, if you're applying now and think you could get work in Jan, it'll probably take you about that long to get on assistance and you might get some backpay, but, you might have to jump through hoops too. How high do you wanna jump?
(If your current employed will sign the necessary forms to say you were made redundant i think that makes it easier to get straight on benefits but not sure how that works regarding contract work....)

If you're willing to do it and it's a possibility where you live, try and get some casual retail over xmas to tide you through; a supermarket, department store, booze shop - all of those places take on extra staff and offer extra shifts over xmas.

Good luck man, be prepared to be made to feel like shit and work harder than you would if you just had a job to turn up to everyday!

Are you still employed? Think about Christmas bonus (some companies are pretty generous)

I recently walked into my local store waited about 20 mins, then got told to use their phones to book an appointment with them (or wait another hour), the guy on the phone assured me that I was under no obligation to look for work until my next phone interview they call your mobile or home, fast forward 2 weeks and a lovely lady over at centrelink informed me that I was supposed to be looking for work despite the fist person who I spoke with on the phone said I wasn't required to look for any jobs, no mention of a number of job....nuffn

So I am going in tomorrow and they say you have to see your job agency (they will arrange over phone for you), within an hour before your centrelink appointment, lovely i have to leave even earlier.

So book it straight out, You also need 100 points of ID which can be Drivers license, medicare card and a bank card. You also need a few recent bank statements the bank can print off for you at no charge if you don't have any.

You also cant have too much $ (in July last year it was 3k if memory serves me correct), you can see it on their website in case its changed.

Last edited:
Damn, I hardly even remember writing this. Stilnox and writing and not a good idea.

Anyhow, yeah the issue with my job is that I like it but I am grossly overqualified for it, and get paid little money for 4 days work a week. I told them that I would consider staying on if they bumped me up to 5 days a week and gave me a bit of a raise but they said no. Plus since my girlfriend moved out I can't afford rent - and it looks like the landlord is planning on kicking us out anyway - so might not even get my bond back. Gah. Getting centrelink for a little while might help negate the loss of the bond.

So yeah, I was just wondering what the process was with getting on centrelink. I am quite employable in general - have two degrees, smart and are well presented - so I'm not concerned about getting A job, but rather I want one in my chosen career path or one that pays well enough that is related to my career path.

Yeah I might look at some jobs over the christmas period (as work for me finishes a little before christmas) - what are some areas to look in? Bars etc?

What are your qualifications for? If you want bar work I think you need an RSA, if you book an appointment with centrelink they hook you up with a job agency and you explain to them what you want to do and they will help you out, by using their computers/printers/courses (such as RSA)

Its not very hard to find bar work anyway really, buy the paper on the weekend, saturday has most jobs.

I went into centrelink today with a booked appointment, checked in with the front counter she took down my name, reference number of appointment and said ok take a seat your name will be called, one hour later I asked the front counter what was taking so long, and they informed me there was no interview in my name, better off just grabbing the paper if you already have your RSA.

Last edited:
Anyway on to the real quesiom, If you're applyimg newstart how long does it generally take to get the files filled in appoved? Will I get backpay from when I get officially finish a job. for a single male with no kids, what is the likely fortnighly pay?

I think they back pay you to when you actually applied for it.

And finally if you have savings in your account is this safe? Or do you have to take them all out due to the checking the banl accounts.

They do suss your accounts, they asked me (altho 7 yrs ago or so now) to bring in receipts from the atm for my accounts, im not sure how much money you are allowed to have, google may have some answers on that, but I recall getting asked alot of questions on what I owned ect and how much I had and where. Maybe you can call them and ask without saying it's you? im not sure.

The dole isn't much, im not sure on the exact amount anymore, I'd guess 300 and a bit a week maybe, im probably a bit off tho, not too sure. Best to hang onto your job if you can and use the 5th day to suss for jobs that pay more and you have more satisfaction in. But I think you said the work will stop for a while with them, so even inbetween maybe do the dole thing and see how shit it is. They make you goto job network agencies and apply for other shit jobs tho.

good luck with it psy.

Depends on how old you are but it's more $400/fortnight not per week. Yeah, you will have to apply for 10 jobs a fortnight IIRC and they will check your bank accounts.

A handy tip is I got off of 6 months of having any centrelink based commitments by claiming I was a drug addict and convincing their psychologist (It isn't hard when you have bruised track marks all down your arms) and due to their incompetence after that peroid, they just kept paying me so I guess they figured I am still a drug addict. I was kinda looking forward to going in and saying "Yep, thanks for that 6 months, I am cured now!" but it never eventuated.

I was on newstart for 10 months.....after 13 weeks i was told sarina russo at toowong would help me find employment. This was not the case instead i was put on work experience for a week which was a cmplete waste of time. I was jerked around by sarina russo by coming in for appointments which were never form the same consultant and funnily enough my "records" were never saved i was constantly asked my details and resume ect. Honestly ITS NOT WORTH IT BECAUSE CENTRELINK AND SARINA RUSSO don't give 2 shits about ppl struggling to find work, all they care about is themself and not generally hgelping the public! Just my 2 cents!

It is hideous and degrading.
I would only advise going to centrelink if you really need to.

Put them qualifications to good use, taco! :)