• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Question; Seeds from feminized mothers will still be mostly male, right?

papercuts

Bluelighter
I have some seeds from an Amnesia Haze that is actually quite decent despite what I've been told about seedy weed being weak to vape, so that in mind it might be interesting to grow some of these seeds (legally of course).

I did this before, picked out ten seeds from my bag, planted them, 5 sprouted, 3 made it to adulthood, only one was female and I had housing issues then and had to give them away.

More recently I heard that when a simsimella plant has seeds they will all be female, is this true? Or is it only sometimes true, say if it were a self fertilizing plant?

This one might have fertilized itself and the Black Sugar growing next to it, or it could have been the Black Sugar did the fertilizing as I saw she had some serious stressing and was left in a corner half chopped basically to go to seed if that is what happened. I'm thinking there was pollen involved, not an enterprising trait from both females at the same time.

So pollen is male and the offspring might be male too? About two thirds are male in the wild, right?

There were 12 seeds with the Ammo Haze and three with the Black Sugar, but the black sugar seeds are too small and white to be developed enough to pop, they won't grow, the ammo haze will, quite vigorously as it happens.

Is a twice daily thorough nanner check necessary? I think it is in a room with older autos soon to finish alongside the nursery of seedlings which could be male imo.
Can they be male?
If so, how quickly do they go from showing their balls to pollenating the whole room? :ROFLMAO: Some sentences just make you smile. TY :heart7:

you have to convert the light schedule to flowering for them to begin to show signs usually then flip them back if you want to continue vegging.
Seeds does not = all female lol , and feminised seeds are seed treated with colloidal silver , they are usually more weak to environmental stresses causing them to hermie

Also plants are more likely to go male/herm if growing conditions are poor, too hot, too dry, etc.

-GC

they're gonna be hermaphrodites

and as soon as you see balls, they could release at anytime - usually about a week tho

week 4 in flower is when they'll really show - week 5 is usually too late - pollen has been released

usually on the lowers and they'll hide behind the buds on the lowers

don't even waste your time with them - throw em out

Also plants are more likely to go male/herm if growing conditions are poor, too hot, too dry, etc.

-GC
That Black Sugar was half harvested then left neglected for some reason, during last summer's hottest heatwave, far too hot for them all. They were the last two plants in the room
you have to convert the light schedule to flowering for them to begin to show signs usually then flip them back if you want to continue vegging.
Seeds does not = all female lol , and feminised seeds are seed treated with colloidal silver , they are usually more weak to environmental stresses causing them to hermie
I thought the plants grown from seeds treated with coloidal silver were only used as parent plants to produce feminized seeds for sale?
This was a question I should have asked, do males wait until you flip the lights as well as females, or do the males just flower regardless of light?
You're saying yes, they need flipped too, which is kind of comforting.
they're gonna be hermaphrodites

and as soon as you see balls, they could release at anytime - usually about a week tho

week 4 in flower is when they'll really show - week 5 is usually too late - pollen has been released

usually on the lowers and they'll hide behind the buds on the lowers

don't even waste your time with them - throw em out
That makes sense, but ALL of them? 😭 Five of six made it to healthy seedling stage, but seven others are female for sure, so we want to protect them. Four of those will be gone in 2-4 weeks, they are autos, once they finish the lights will be flipped for the photoperiod seedlings, including the suspect ones.
So all are safe for now, with 19 hours light ongoing?

During that seed producing grow last summer, the Ammo Haze seemed to suddenly mature about six weeks into flowering, all pistols turned orange, ime Ammo Haze pistols stay white until about ten weeks into flowering. It must have happened by then I guess, although there were only a few seeds on the lower branches, none higher up. From then on it was stunted and got no bigger or fatter, 80g off a fully feminized plant that usually gives more, Black Sugar did even worse I think, perhaps 65g and it had room to spread if it had wanted to. There was also a Banana strain nearby that suffered from the heat like the others, but otherwise fine, no seeds.

Could it be the heat affects the potency too? Or is my tolerance just ridiculous these days :rolleyes: ?

well usually when pistols turn red/orange early like that, that means they were pollinated already

so hermaphrodite pollen, isn't as viable as a true male's pollen - so that's why you get don't get a million seeds like you would with a true male

and then yes, once it's pollinated from herm pollen or male pollen, your yield goes way down because the focus of the plant isn't to produce bigger and bigger buds anymore in hopes of getting pollinated since it's pollinated already - so now it's focus is producing seeds to reproduce instead

once it's pollinated too, it also stunts the potency - so you are smoking less potent weed - it's not your tolerance

that's why fuckin around with herm seeds really isn't worth it - it's not like the seeds are the only problem - the yield goes down and the potency gets robbed if it gets pollinated again

and then you have pollen all over your flower room that you can't even see - so it's possible that your next run can get pollinated again from the residual pollen in the room - so you need to wipe down the whole room, and water is really all you need to use because water kills pollen - so when you pluck balls off of a plant that hermed on you, and it's early enough where they havent popped yet, you wanna wet your fingers as you pull them off and just drop them into a cup of water

and no - males don't need a photoperiod of 12-12 to drop pollen

when colloidal silver is used, it's forcing a portion of a female plant to produce pollen - basically hermaphrodite - but all the seeds produced will be females and some could end up herms too (these seeds are now called S1) - that's why feminized seeds can be a little sketchy - you really gotta keep an eye on them and some ppl wont even mess with them - i don't usually mess with fems unless i know others who've run them - i ran the white fire og from og raskal that all turned out fine - some were a bit touchy where if they got stressed they would throw out bananas easier - so most plants from fem seeds are a little less stable - so they'll herm more easily if something goes sideways - like too much heat or underwatering or over-feeding or whatever the issue is

The room was getting washed down and the silver paper covering one side was replaced, but the cleaning got forgotten half way through and noone got back to it so I dunno.
Like the fans weren't cleaned or the lights or the ceiling, but the floor and most walls, yes. It would be very sad if another harvest was ruined from noone bothering to clean up enough.
Do you use clones more or regular seeds, if you don't use the feminised type?

i use regular seeds to pheno hunt because i stopped taking in clones from ppl, because every time i do, they either give me powdery mildew or spider mites, and im done with all that nonsense lol - even the last clone i took in from a friend gave me pm and it was a pain in the ass to get rid of but i caught it before the plants made it into the flower room so it was isolated to my veg room, which made it easier to get rid of

but the plants that are in my rotation now are always clones - even when i pheno hunt, i don't flower the mom, because that can be deceiving - a lot of times the mom will be better than what clones turn out to be, and if im to work with a plant more than once, then it's gonna be clones anyway - so i start the mom, turn that into clones, and then flower those

i do have 1 strain that ive had since 2009 - that would be my ogre kush

xrs9IXZl.jpg

The room was getting washed down and the silver paper covering one side was replaced, but the cleaning got forgotten half way through and noone got back to it so I dunno.
Like the fans weren't cleaned or the lights or the ceiling, but the floor and most walls, yes. It would be very sad if another harvest was ruined from noone bothering to clean up enough.

if you had a full blown male in the room, you'd really have to make sure you cleaned up well, but i wouldn't worry too much because it sounds like that pollen wasn't very viable to begin with if you didn't end up with a lot of seeds from the first incident - so you should still be fine even without the extra cleaning

I've caught powdery mildew just before going in the room, a fungus called rust did get in from things left lying outside then brought in (nearly killed them all but our girls fought back and won eventually, proud of them) and spidermites got in there at the end of a grow once, but drying and curing them seemed to work, lol, you'd never have known other than the odd little pop and sizzle.

I think that was on a banging white widow that also got budrot from the sheer size of it, it just preferred growing to maturing. What was salvaged became edibles, caramels that got estimates of 150mgTHC each from those who have tried legit ones to compare, couple of hundred of them easily, didn't count them but we had a production line going for cutting and wrapping them, lol, they last a long time in the freezer, depending on who knows they're there of course.

Anyway I came on here to say thank you @Mr. Krinkle you are right about my tolerance being ok, I got some other weed yesterday and tried it as I went to bed, woke up two hours later cooked by the electric blanket, never even got my headphones on for the night, I think the world of weed has more to offer me yet 😁

i got bud rot from a white widow i ran a long time ago too - the buds got too big - that's what happens when they're too big - too much moisture gets trapped inside them - botrytis is it's official name

awesome - glad to hear you got nice and stoned and didn't burn the house down

do you live in Europe or are you on this side of the world?

More recently I heard that when a simsimella plant has seeds they will all be female, is this true?
I've grown cannabis for years but I'm a simple country boy with a garden. I ain't no botanist or anything.
I always thought sinsimella was, by definition, seedless. In Spanish sinsimella literally means without seeds.
Am I missing something here?

I have some seeds from an Amnesia Haze that is actually quite decent despite what I've been told about seedy weed being weak to vape, so that in mind it might be interesting to grow some of these seeds (legally of course).

I did this before, picked out ten seeds from my bag, planted them, 5 sprouted, 3 made it to adulthood, only one was female and I had housing issues then and had to give them away.

More recently I heard that when a simsimella plant has seeds they will all be female, is this true? Or is it only sometimes true, say if it were a self fertilizing plant?

This one might have fertilized itself and the Black Sugar growing next to it, or it could have been the Black Sugar did the fertilizing as I saw she had some serious stressing and was left in a corner half chopped basically to go to seed if that is what happened. I'm thinking there was pollen involved, not an enterprising trait from both females at the same time.

So pollen is male and the offspring might be male too? About two thirds are male in the wild, right?

There were 12 seeds with the Ammo Haze and three with the Black Sugar, but the black sugar seeds are too small and white to be developed enough to pop, they won't grow, the ammo haze will, quite vigorously as it happens.

Is a twice daily thorough nanner check necessary? I think it is in a room with older autos soon to finish alongside the nursery of seedlings which could be male imo.
Can they be male?
If so, how quickly do they go from showing their balls to pollenating the whole room? :ROFLMAO: Some sentences just make you smile. TY :heart7:
Simsimella hahsha, sounds like the name of a bacteria.
Sinsemilla* aka seedless in spanish xd

I've grown cannabis for years but I'm a simple country boy with a garden. I ain't no botanist or anything.
I always thought sinsimella was, by definition, seedless. In Spanish sinsimella literally means without seeds.
Am I missing something here?
Simsimella hahsha, sounds like the name of a bacteria.
Sinsemilla* aka seedless in spanish xd
I thought it was wrong as I typed it, but googling it wouldn't be nearly as educational 😁

do you live in Europe or are you on this side of the world?
Europe, started growing out of my first bag of grass, decades ago lol.
I was more used to the old hash that came before bud, and the first plants we grew, we thought the leaves were supposed to be the good stuff, lol, we worked it out in the end.
I took a notion last night for hot knives, glad I decided on my vape instead or yes, the house might have gone up!

I also recently bought some seeds.I intended to grow them outdoors. But I read that they are more vulnerable to bad weather conditions. Does this mean I should give up my idea? Let me ask if it is too late to plant the sprouts in the ground? Fall is just around the corner. Will I have time to harvest the crops?
I've never grown outdoors, but I'd love to! It probably depends on your strain. If it's an auto or a fast strain then you've a chance, plant in a sunny sheltered spot and it's got a couple of months to get big before it flowers in September, then harvest in October, what is your local climate like in October?

I also recently bought some seeds.I intended to grow them outdoors. But I read that they are more vulnerable to bad weather conditions. Does this mean I should give up my idea? Let me ask if it is too late to plant the sprouts in the ground? Fall is just around the corner. Will I have time to harvest the crops?

you're a little too late for seeds outside at this point - save them for next year - if you can, start them indoors first around March and no later than April, and then move them out in May or June, depending where you live