PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Question on Combo (DXM + Barbiturate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taelin

Greenlighter
Ok, I've seen several sources that say to avoid this combo, but they don't give dosages or really any details beyond the same vague one sentence recommendation.

Also couldn't find anything in the search engine.

Here's what I'm looking at:

I have 300mg of DXM, which in the past has been enough to give me the effect I want, but the last time I took 270mg, and barely felt anything (I felt silly and got googly arms, which was nice, but I didn't get a single CEV)... which was sorta weird. So I wanna get the most out of what I have.

However I happen to have a couple pills of Fioricet also.
What I was wondering is would say mixing the DXM, with a LOW dose (150mg) of butalbital (which is weak anyway), enhance the affects? or would it just be a waste and/or dangerous?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the risk here is combining CNS depressants. Can't see how it would go beyond that, but the again I don't know much about barbs.

Don't really see the barb enhancing the feeling, it could well feel nice and at the doses you suggest too much CNS depression shouldn't really be a biggy. I really doubt that the barb will 'enhance' the DXM much, I would guess the opposite ;)

yeah to be honest, I really have no idea, I didn't even consider this combo until I noticed I had a couple fioricet, and butalbital is weak too... I can get nice feelings off it but it takes like 12 pills... and I have 3 =P

*snip*...also i would recomend steping the DXM dosage up to at least 750mgs. hope it goes well for you have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
also i would recomend steping the DXM dosage up to at least 750mgs. hope it goes well for you have fun!

Actually, I already did (even threw in 1 beer, just the one though, figured it might balance out the effect in case the barbs decrease it, and if they stack... even better).

Yeah, not the healthiest combo (if there is such a thing), but we're talking low doses, so, not too concerned. I just consider it an experiment, I'll be sure to post a trip report too, just to let everyone know if it works (don't worry, Ill be sure to make sure people understand I'm taking low amounts, and that DXM + Barbs have been STRONGLY urged against, on several other sites, including dextroverse.)

As for ramping it up.. I use to do high doses like that, but then I decided to experiment with lower dosages, and found that between 100 - 200mg gives me a really weird, but comfortable stimulant affect, and that 300mgs gives me the CEV's I want without making me COMPLETELY incapable (though I still get robo-walk effects).

High doses like 700 - 900mgs just made me way to confused and dissociated, and made shit twist and spiral on itself, like cups would look like helixs, which would actually be pretty freakin cool, if I could comprehend my surroundings at the same time.

To be honest, I like DXM for the mental effects at dosages that allow me some form of control. If I really wanted to dissociate, I'd just jam down a hit of K, which feels a hell of a lot cleaner anyway, and a LOT shorter lived, so even if things go sour, you'll be back to (close to) normal in a few minutes.

Last edited:
ohh i see. well if you could handle this its an amazing trip. i mean imo no other drug combo tops this. i tried acid for the first time 1 week ago. it was amazing i tried one tab of ok acid.
well i decided i wanted to go an a mindblowing expierence so i took for my only secong time trying acid 3 tabs of pretty good acid, 1000mgs of pure DXM and smoked 2.5 grams or dank bud. i honestly cant even begin to describe the trip. it was heaven. if i lets put it this way, if i could constantly keep doseing myself with these substances for as long as i could till i died i would. the word trip dosnt do justice to the combo. i would honestly rather live a few days in this world than live to be 100. im not some suicidal person either

Using depressant drugs (alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, opiates, kava, etc) with DXM may depress respiration to life-threatening levels.
DXM in large amounts (upper plateau doses) causes respiratory depression by itself, and other depressants add to this effect. Concomitantly consuming low doses of both DXM and a depressant is most likely safe. Three recorded deaths have been caused by DXM in combination with other depressants (two from DXM+diphenhydramine, one from DXM+diphenhydramine+alcohol). (copied from another drug forum and it makes sense!)

also maby coke with DXM would keep you more alert so you could do higher doses? i dont no much about coke though that shits weak

Mixing uppers and downers cause strain on your heart. Not a good idea.

ya that makes sense, on second thought dont do that. but if you ever feel like going to heaven try the DXM-acid-weed combo

Unfortunately, as much as I would abso-fucking-lutely LOVE to smoke weed with this... I can't

Like, physically, can't. Just under 5 years ago, weed changed on me, and started giving me weird side effects, and causing me to be twitchy, paranoid, and have panic attacks. I can get away with one good bong rip, if I'm already high on something else (mainly opiates), or if I'm drunk enough, but no more than that.

I really miss weed... I loved the feeling of lying in bed, just before going to sleep, my head feeling all numb, body feeling like it's vibrating... and then having crazy vibrant dreams.... mmmmmmmmmmmm <3

Side Note: I also SERIOUSLY miss MDMA... so much so, it makes me sad every time I think about it... :(

As for acid I haven't done it in a couple years. I had a REALLY bad experience on shrooms about 3 years back, and since then DXM is the only "Hallucinogen" I've done since then. I'm not against taking acid again (just shrooms), but haven't had the chance.

Even then I wouldn't combine it with a dissociative... see I LOVE the freaking head-buzzing mindfuck feeling acid gives. I mean it just feels like the entire high is concentrated on your temples and eyeballs... don't know why, but I love it.

As for coke... I only like really clean coke... which I only know one guy that can get it, so we really only do it like 3 or 4 times a year, plus with stimulants I NEED alcohol, in order to manage the twitchy, rambling feelings. I've worked out a perfect way of managing stims, at least for me (which i developed over the course of several multi-day adderal binges, and then extended to coke later on), and I wouldn't want to mix THAT much alcohol with DXM.

I'm really more of a purist at this stage, sure I'll take combos, but it's usually just to enhance the effects of the one drug I REALLY want. (for instance, taking opiates with a couple benadryl and a handful of muscle relaxers = AWESOME!!) Yes, with TWO exclamation points. :)

hmmm i see. well all i can really suggest then is just try a really strong DXM trip one more time. try about 1250mgs to start but this time take a bong rip about 20 mins bfor u dse, this way you can go into the trip relaxed. just think bfor you start trippin hard that its just a drug. its just a trip and you will comedown. also i would reccomend for you that you turn on a movie that you like, go lay on your bed with the lights off and just try to stay laying down most of the trip. what i have found is that high doses of DXM(over 900mgs) tends to scare ppl because its soo intense and unlike anything they have ever expierenced. i have learned how to just let go of everything and enjoy wat is IMO the best drug ever created. if you end up likeing it as much as i do dont get carried away like i tend to. these past few nights have been the first time i havnt taken DXM every night for the past month or so. i am as addicted to DXM as you can possibly be. dont let that hapen to you

Ok : UPDATE: (also pl,ease excuse my spelling, the keyboard keep moving lol)

Good and BAD COMBO....

Good: Definitely enhances effects

Bad: Made me sick, luckily enough time passed so all I threw up was a bunch of red dye.

Last edited:
Glad it worked! Looking forward to your report, I'm intrigued by what kind of enhancement it gave - I could see it producing an increased body high and an elevated mood but I would have put money on it either not touching or inhibiting the mental/psychedelic effects. My reasoning for thinking that was barbs have a very similar method of action to benzos (bind to GABAa). Not mixed benzos with DXM, but they seem to dumb down the mental components of most trips.

Having said that I was surprised to find that codeine potentiated DXM substantially, then again I once took a decent dose of mushrooms whilst very high (on the verge of nodding) off of orally consumed opium, to my pleasant surprise the mushrooms weren't hindered at all and I reached a full blown +3 - the opium had really good synergy with the shrooms (one of the best body buzzes ever!). Benzos on the other hand will only effect the str of a mushroom trip in one way - decrease!

I started experimenting with DXM years after I started on the mushrooms (and after ketamine to), I didn't go into the experiments with many expectations but have been happily surprised on several occasions by DXM, still not even taken it to high doses. It defiantly offers something special that nothing else shares with it, I sort of naively used to assume that ketamine was essentially it's superior in most ways - how wrong I was! (still prefer ketamine mind).

DXM clearly can produce some wonderful combos, that's for sure.

ohh i see. well if you could handle this its an amazing trip. i mean imo no other drug combo tops this. i tried acid for the first time 1 week ago. it was amazing i tried one tab of ok acid.
well i decided i wanted to go an a mindblowing expierence so i took for my only secong time trying acid 3 tabs of pretty good acid, 1000mgs of pure DXM and smoked 2.5 grams or dank bud.

Sounds well good, must have been fairly intense mentally right? Or did the shear joy of it transcend everything else? :) Sounds kinda like a dissociative candy flip with a twist!

also maby coke with DXM would keep you more alert so you could do higher doses?

Would advise against this...strongly. As some one has already said, DXM is acting as a downer on your heart. Cocaine is already acting as BOTH a downer and an upper on your heart (hence why it's so fecking cardiotoxic by itself), you don't need to add another factor into the equation. Secondly Erowid says DXM + SSRI's = bad news. Not exactly sure how coke works with regards to serotonin reuptake inhibition, I know it does exhibit it and it does so selectively - I get the impressed that the 'bad news' may at least partly depend on the exact nature of the re uptake inhibition. Thirdly, DXM and coke can both produce tachycardia. Finally, I'm not sure if the effects would even be desirable. The premise that stimulants increase alertness during trips doesn't really hold true with most peoples experiences. DXM could be difference but for many people cocaine + a psychedelic will produce an absolute train wreck of a trip. This is probably less severe on dissociatives, but still I wouldn't better much on coke holding ones thoughts together on a high end DXM trip. If anyone was ever to try increasing DXM clarity via a stimulant (which is always going to be risky on a couple of levels), then I would suggest ritalin would be a lot, lot better than cocaine. From what I've read, ritalin is one of the few stims that can, in some case, actually add to a psychedelic trip in a way that isn't either completely mental (some people can deal with this outcome but it's far from alertness which was the starting premise) or completely horrible.

amberthefrog, i dont think the word high does justice to the place it took me too. there is abosoultly nothing in this world that could have ruined that trip

Lay off the lethal combo recommendations please, fellas. If you've survived a combo that has killed others on more than one occasion (DXM + MDMA, DXM + coke for example) then don't advise others to do the same. You may not survive it yourself if you try it again - no need to take others out too.

Apart from in where you did in the post I edited.

The OP seems to know the answer to his question now anyway and I don't see this going anywhere useful so closing time here.

Taelin: PM me or another PD mod if you'd like this re-opened to give more detail of your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.