• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Question on baclofen and gabapentin

Outsider31

Bluelighter
Hi guys,

I'm on day 17 of no opana. Was taking basically 160mg a day orally for a year and a half and basically stopped cold turkey. First week was pure hell as many of you know. After the first week I began using my leftover meds baclofen and gabapentin to help my withdrawals and mainly to help me sleep. They have really helped me. I have been taking at least 60mg of Baclofen and around 3000mg of gabapentin per day.

My question is, will using these meds at the same doses for say 3 weeks then stopping (I will then be out of these meds and have no refills and will be unable to get any more), will I go through withdrawals if I stop cold turkey? These meds have really been a help because the nights I did not take them, I lay awake in bed all night restless with my legs constantly moving literally every 5 seconds and I haven't been doing that while on these meds. Just hope I won't go into more withdrawals after using them for 3 weeks. Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

Have you ever been dependent on gabaergic drugs in the past (alcohol, benzos, GHB/GBL/gabapentin/baclofen/pregabalin/phenibut, etc)? Your past experiences with dependency with the same or similar drugs will have a significant impact on your current experience.

Without having been really dependent on the same or similar drugs recently (in the past year), I would say no. You shouldn't have too worry much about the doses of what you're taking if you only take them for three weeks. Then again, you've already been taking them for two weeks, so is this included in "three week" scenario, or are we talking three weeks plus however long you've been taking them (I assume about 17 days)?

I would still strongly recommend tapering a bit the last week - maybe even stretch your drugs out to last four weeks, tapering during the last two, rather than just three. This is an all around much stronger strategy in terms of a successful detox.

Congrats on your clean time btw!

No to all of the drugs you mentioned except gabapentin and baclofen. I took them a year ago for about 6 months while I had a herniated disc. Actually the baclofen was 5 months and gabapentin was 6 months. I noticed when I stopped the gabapentin cold turkey I did have withdrawals for about 10 days. I didn't expect that because it's not a controlled substance and didn't think it was possible to withdraw from it. I even only took like 900mg per day at that time too.

Even though I'm at 3000mg per day I'm hoping to not go through withdrawals. Also, I'm currently at 2 weeks and have like 5 days of baclofen left. I have quite a bit of gabapentin left though, maybe I will stop the baclofen cold turkey when I run out and perhaps taper off the gabapentin...

Thanks for the reply!

My money is on you being fine. You'll probably feel shitty when you stop taking it, but that is just your body acclimatizing to whatever is left of your withdrawal/the beginning of PAW and the like, not full blown gabaergic w/d. Good luck my friend, you can do this!

Thanks TPD!

Had an issue yesterday....lately one of my teeth and ears (on the same side) have been bothering me. Turns out I needed my final 2 wisdom teeth pulled. Of course they prescribed me 18 5mg oxycodone pills. Out of sheer pain I took 2 when I got home and 2 before bed. They didn't get me high, just made the pain a bit more bearable. I have 14 of these left. I'm just going to get rid of them. Again I felt shitty because I was doing so well without the opanas or any other controlled substance. Today is 19 days w/o opana. Hope the 20mg oxycodone didn't set me back....took em strictly for mouth pain and will get rid of the rest.

You are okay, and you can do this! Do you have anyone ypu can hand the pills over to help you dose them properly? This is shitty and embarassing I know, but sometime it is really the best, necessary option.

I'm going to get rid of the rest. I kinda feel like the oxycodone set me back because my anxiety has been somewhat manageable the last week but I woke up with anxiety similar to days 3 n 4 c/the off opana. I had to take some baclofen and gabapentin to try and relax a bit. I'm also almost out of Baclofen as I only have 16 10mg pills left, I still have a decent amount of gabapentin left though. Thanks so much TPD, you have been a blessing, feel like I should be paying you!!

LOL fuck no, haha though I appriciate the kind words (though you are ALWAYS welcome to donate to BL =D)!

Nice choice on deciding to get rid of the meds, they will only cause you grief. The fact you can see this for yourself already is HUGE! I mean, if you need them, you need them, but if they are causing you harm chuck em out the door! Keep up the great work <3

Hey guys, just hit my 31st day off a 160mg a day opana habit. That first week was among the worst in my life. Perhaps it will end up being my best because I gave up the opanas and can look back at my suffering mentally and all the physical flu like symptoms I had and sleepless nights.

At around day 4 I began using my leftover gabapentin and baclofen from a previous injury. Thank God I had them leftover because they were a God send! They allowed me to sleep and function normally, nearly erasing all symptoms of withdrawal. However, almost 2 weeks ago I ran out of Baclofen and 3 days ago I finished the gabapentin.

Today is day 3 without gabapentin and I'm having some mild anxiety, not much energy and last night barely slept. Because I was only on the Baclofen for about 2 weeks and Gabapentin for 3 weeks im hoping the withdrawals aren't too bad. Or perhaps I'm feeling this way from the remaining Opana withdrawal?

Withdrawal question

Hey guys, just hit my 31st day off a 160mg a day opana habit. That first week was among the worst in my life. Perhaps it will end up being my best because I gave up the opanas and can look back at my suffering mentally and all the physical flu like symptoms I had and sleepless nights.

At around day 4 I began using my leftover gabapentin and baclofen from a previous injury. Thank God I had them leftover because they were a God send! They allowed me to sleep and function normally, nearly erasing all symptoms of withdrawal. However, almost 2 weeks ago I ran out of Baclofen and 3 days ago I finished the gabapentin.

Today is day 3 without gabapentin and I'm having some mild anxiety, not much energy and last night barely slept. Because I was only on the Baclofen for about 2 weeks and Gabapentin for 3 weeks im hoping the withdrawals aren't too bad. Or perhaps I'm feeling this way from the leftover Opana withdrawals?

Also, how long would i have to go without gabapentin to be able to take like 900mg and not have any negative impact on my withdrawals?

You won't experience any withdrawal from the gabapentin or baclofen if you only took them for a few weeks. It is just lingering shitiness from the Opana withdrawal.

The other question really depends. How much gabapentin were you taking for those two weeks each day? Generally tolerance builds very quickly to gabapentin. If you are in real discomfort from gabapentin and not simply trying to catch a buzz from it, then you could take it right away and experience (some) benefit, but you'd likely have to wait a few weeks to take it before you'd be able to feel anything "enjoyable" (on the recreational scale I mean) from it.

Good luck!

Thanks TPD, I was taking about 60mg baclofen and probably close to 4000mg gabapentin per day.

No problem my friend. You should be fine, though if you can it is always a better idea to slowly titrate off your meds rather than abruptly stop c/t, especially when it comes to gabaergic medicine.

OMG! 160mg Opana a day habit. That is something like +250mg Oxycodone a day when compared.

You have done hell of a great work for staying clean and I don't even want to feel (anymore) even half of the withdrawals from going cold turkey of that amount of opioids! You are a superman.

Haha thanks MrRoot! It was definitely one of the hardest things I've ever done. Thank God I had some gabapentin and baclofen to help me get through it. I basically stopped cold turkey from 160 MG opana and the first week was hell. The first 4 days I didn't take anything else to help me, but on my 5th day I started using my leftover gabapentin and baclofen. They helped me so much and now I'm on my 38th day without Opana.

My doctor recently gave me a new rx for the gabapentin and baclofen, so I'm basically only using those pills a few times a week now. The only remaining symptoms I have are leg pain (not RLS and constantly moving them around though), still having some anxiety (paws perhaps?) and this metallic taste in my mouth. My sleep has also returned to normal thank God.