• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Question about the hygroscopidity of classic methamphetamine

neko_shan

Greenlighter
First off, I apologize if this particular thread is inappropriately placed in this part of the forum. I'm not entirely sure if methamphetamine is stereotypically classed as an "empathogen", since it's normally considered a stimulant, but I thought it was close enough in properties to qualify to be placed in this part of the forum.
So I was very curious about the hygroscopic qualities that methamphetamine is proposed to possess. It seems a unique trait to this particular drug, and creates curious effects when this substance is processed and changes it's state of matter. The condensation and recrystallization aspects are especially interesting, along with it having a effective temperature range that is especially narrow, and a weak stabilization point and rapid degradation of pharmaceutical qualities when treated outside of it's so-called "goldilocks zone" (as compared to a planetary equivalent.
Would anybody be able to provide further discussion on these particular traits, or more context to help me achieve a better understanding?
Although I find this drug dangerous, it certainly is unique and very interesting. I raises a lot of questions in my mind about the chemical properties of this particular substances, and other associated thoughts and topics, like bio-compatibility, and gross over-all bio-availability as well.
Thank you for any objective commentary and information surrounding this topic, which I know can be considered kind of racy and unmentionable given its current legal scheduling and the demonstrated harm it can cause amongst undisciplined and irresponsible users.

I am not 100% certain of m-amphetamine's hygroscopic properties. The drug that I was aware of being quite hygroscopic was hyoscyamine an Rx used particularly for this property in that it reduces gastric secretions and decreases the motility of the stomach. I do see that Ephedrine is hygroscopic in anhydrous form and as you are most likely aware is a amphetamine and m-amphetamine precursor. They are also very structurally similar. Why exactly what makes you so interested in this chemical property? Also I don't think this is the best section of the forum for this discussion, probably the neuroscience and pharmacology section would be better.

Best wishes

The best information might be found by looking at reseach on gygroscopy, purity, deliquesense, and production of pharamceutical crystaline solids rather than meth specifically.

It would be interesting to know the effect on impurities in meth HCL specifically though.

For example: