• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Queensland grow op: Police thermal imaging helicopters in use?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidfrombrisbane

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

Just want to know if there is any police thermal imaging helicopters in use in Queensland? specifically for the use of detecting cannabis grow houses?

The video below seems to show that they are using these to detecting "hooning" but my question is can these be used to get heat sigs from indoor hydro setups?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/amazing-night-vision-from-queensland-police-helicopter-captures-hoon-at-play-in-logan-on-brisbanes-southside/story-fn8m0u8i-1226633790870

Yes, thermal imaging can show HPS setups and it's probably best to assume that they are using it (the US has been using this technique since 2001), but it's not the only way they find indoor crops.

There's no way to know 100% unless the cops decide to let us know themselves.

Last edited:
I believe you can easily run up to 600 watts as there are other appliances around the house that let off the same if not more heat, such as heaters, clothes dryers etc.

In regards to any security question with growing whether its indoor or outdoor, as long a your not growing a commercial size crop running multiple high powered lights, the odds of getting caught via infrared are quite slim.

Officially, FLIR is not used to detect grows in QLD but the capability is there. I've worked as a mission commander operating FLIR on rescue planes so have some idea of how well it would work.

I'd wager they'd pick up anything over 600w and multiple lights would really standout.

Hi guys,

I forgot to add that there are ways to hide from FLIR. The camera cannot penetrate walls so if you have a small grow the heat will only be visible through windows and vents. Even then, im not sure thats what they'd be looking for anyway.

If you have a commercial grow, the external walls of the house will heat up and you will really, and I mean really standout. You need to stop that heat leeching through those walls. You could try line the walls with emergency blankets, the silver ones, it MAY (i dont know lol) work.

The only way to be sure would be if you went and bought a roll of lead from an Insulation supply shop and use that. You will need a few layers.

Its easy for them to do. They would just take a hi res shot if the city at night and break that down into sections for further investigation. I actually asked around and confirmed that they are not using the capability. Bet that doesn't make you any less paranoid though haha.

I'm going to close this as the question has been answered -thanks Oxyuranus.

It could be self incriminating and the discussion falls in a bit of a grey area too, with advice on how to circumvent the law and so on.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.