View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Purposefully having a difficult trip.

insanit_e

Bluelighter
It’s all about set and setting. But, has anybody ever purposefully sacrificed one of these in order to have a bad trip? Not talking so much about “setting”, but more “set”. I always take acid when I’m in a really positive mind frame and time in my life, and all my trips (30-40) have been great.

However, I have that “itch” at the moment where I feel like taking a trip. A strong trip- stronger than I’m used to. But the thing is, I haven’t been very happy at the moment. I’m not having any MAJOR issues in my life, but am in one of those stages where I’m re-considering lots of things about my lifestyle and self that are making me unhappy.

In a way, I don’t think it would be a good idea for me to take psychedelics at this time. However, I feel like even though it has a good potential for being difficult, it could be really therapeutic.

What experiences can other BLers share about going in to a trip knowing or expecting it to be difficult? Was it a good/bad idea?

Perhaps in the right setting your idea could help you figure out that confusing stuff you're going through. Since it doesn't sound like you're depressed as much as confused I don't think it would be even a bad trip.

Well, you know what they say, there are no bad trips.

I don't think you'd be setting yourself up to failure, just because you are rethinking some life choices - I find this is the best time to trip. It can give you a different spin on things and help you through it. Just make sure you are in a safe place.

Peace and good luck.

Sounds like a case for oral 2C-E, ayahuasca, mush + rue, or a candyflip. Mmm!

Ayahuasca will put you on your bum brotha.

I can't really think of anything else, besides a high dosage of Psilocybin + MAOI or maybe thumb-print of liquid LSD that would do you in ;)

If you dose high enough, you don't have to worry about trying to force it. The substance will take care of the rest...

There are no 'bad trips'. That is government propaganda (nonsense). There are only easy and difficult states of mind in which bliss is achieved and problems are thoroughly examined.

^ Unless you experience a psychotic break ;)

To the OP: Personally, I have no experience with tripping in the therapeutic context (which is basically what you're intending, albeit without a guide), but it is a perfectly valid mode of psychedelic use. Intention/purpose for taking psychedelics is as important part of set & setting as any, and in this case you are using a specific goal (self-therapy) to counter the negative mindset. In fact, personal issues are a prerequisite for using psychedelics in this context!

Just be prepared as well as you can in order to minimize the potential for disaster, and maximize the chances of a successful session. Make sure the setting is nothing short of ideal, and take the substance you feel most appropriate for your purpose. Personally, I've found mushrooms to be of immense therapeutic value, and I've always come out of a difficult trip changed for the better, but they can be extremely hard to control at the peak. LSD, on the other hand, tends to be more analytical and easier to control the direction of the trip on, but this lack of forcefulness makes it more difficult to integrate what you've learned. 2C-E is also a good tool for introspection and metaprogramming. Obviously, YMMV, and you know best what's best for you.

I've attempted this with 2C-E, it apparently failed miserably. I experienced the pain and anguish of self realization and ego beating, with no reward or "aha!" moment. HOWEVER! In much time, this experience did have a very pivotal position in my life. Psychedelic trips have some serious power with the right intentions, it's completely indescribable.

One of my most difficult (and consequently, most valuable) trips happened during a difficult time in my life. I didn't necessarily assume it was going to be a difficult trip, but being that it was a spontaneous trip, I didn't afford much time to considering my set.

I can usually predict how difficult a trip I will have based on how difficult the problems I'm facing are. Tripping always seems to put the toughest issues right in my face and force me to deal with them.

If you have a pretty good idea of what's going on upstairs, I'd say go for it. As you mentioned, I feel that difficult trips have the potential to be extremely therapeutic.

IMO, good setting is more important than a good set. If you have a problematic mindset (eg personal issues), chances are you'll end up in a state of deep introspection, perhaps face some depersonalization, and/or existential crisis etc. All very difficult to go through, but - more often than not - ultimately lead to solved personal/spiritual/existential problems and improved perspective in internal and external worlds, if the experience is successfully integrated into your conscious mind.

However, poor setting (crowded places, uncertain circumstances etc) can lead to anxiety, which can lead to all sorts of nasty stuff from paranoia, panic, delusions, to full-blown freakout/psychotic break; none of which are productive in any way, and instead of profound insight can cause considerable damage to your mental/physical health, personal relationships, etc.

Naturally, there are exceptions to both cases, but IMO poorly planned setting carries higher risk of doing more damage in the long run than good compared to difficult mindset when going into a trip.

setting > goals > set > dosage

If your at a bad place in your life (not happy etc.) perhaps some DMT would do the trick?

I find that there is never a bad time to smoke DMT, in fact it has this beautiful way of putting things into perspective for you and lifting you out of your funk or whatever mood you happen to be in. I also find that the same is true with LSD (lower doses).

I for one only like to trip when it seems right, even when it seems like the right time and place if my head and heart are not in it I will turn it down and trip off life and living the experience.

I wish you well <3

I'm sorry but this is bull..

How so? If you look at any 'problem' with a logical point of view you can come to a solution.

No trip is just 'bad' there's usually a reason as to why the person may have suggested it was bad, maybe something deeper within themselves that they cant admit to or are unwilling to analyze and understand.

When i first started taking psychedelics.. i would have agreed with you, because i had some horrible trips at different times, but there was always a logical reason as to why i was experiencing what i was, and as soon as i took the time to understand it and why it was happening, i was able to see it, overcome it and move on.

I find that a lot of people who have bad trips is usually a result of an unwillingness to properly understand whats happening, its easier to bury our problems and issues then to deal with them.. this is why a majority of people would rather take drugs other then psychoactive's and psychedelics.

Once you are completely comfortable with yourself, tripping is almost like second nature. You actually feel more confident and capable of yourself then when sober, and have the ability to deal with ANY situation that presents itself.

This is why i <3 LSD =D

Well there are those occasions where it feels right to deconstruct everything in order to reconstruct it properly. Go straight through it instead of around.

But that kind of thing is not to be taken lightly at all, only work with it from personal experience or absolutely trustworthy and experienced guiding.

There are some people who consider the difficult ones to be the most impacting on their lives....

If you do it, i would do it in a good setting.... Your mindset might be a little off and you may face some things you need to deal with and you seem willing enough to try and deal with them....

It may help you work out your problems and put life back into perspective for you...

^ True but there are more than 1 type of difficult experience. It can be difficult because of unprocessed emotions and experiences that are brought to the surface, but a trip can also be difficult from sensory overload or general mindfuck.

The first type of difficulty should not be seen as a problem but as an opportunity to overcome internal obstacles. In doing so one often emerges healed.
The second type has more to do with a grip on yourself and on what is seen as reality. Apparently there are places (I heard of some universities) where young people give each other mindfucks as a type of practice. At other times people give themselves mindfucks to produce a Fear & Loathing effect. Certainly this thread is not about that and it has little constructive value. The only thing I can think of is a more flexible definition of reality that makes one better prepared in future experiences. I sure feel more stable because of fucked up shit that has happened that conditioned me and sort of trained me to maintain myself in whatever maelstrom. But it's a tricky thing.

How so? If you look at any 'problem' with a logical point of view you can come to a solution.

Sometimes problems you come across in your head while tripping aren't logical?

No trip is just 'bad' there's usually a reason as to why the person may have suggested it was bad, maybe something deeper within themselves that they cant admit to or are unwilling to analyze and understand.

And maybe some things are best left alone? And when disturbed.. can bring out a whole new world of shit?

Sometimes people don't trip to sit there and work through things in their head?

Sometimes people don't trip to sit there and work through things in their head?

I understand this.. but that doesn't justify calling bull on bad trips not existing.. because there is a REASON for the discomfort the person is experiencing.. weather they want to understand that and overcome it or not is totally up to them as you mentioned above.

Best left alone and not disturbed..? if whatever it is comes up and you try to ignore it because its unpleasant, of course its going to send you into an uncomfortable trip because it's been brought to the surface and not dealt with.

And maybe some things are best left alone? And when disturbed.. can bring out a whole new world of shit?

No, there are no things that should be left alone.

I hate to reel this discussion even further into semantics, but an experience that causes some deep issues to surface from the subconscious, thus forcing you to deal with them is not a bad trip by any means (even if you fail to resolve the issues or properly integrate the experience afterwards), it is just a difficult experience. A bad trip would be a delusional/paranoid/psychotic/whathaveyou disaster that has no therapeutic value whatsoever. IMO.