• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Public Connotation "ACID"

Yeah, in my country we wouldn't really say "acid" but the three letters L, S and D definitely have a really bad connotation. Well it's the only hallucinogenic probably almost everyone knows and most of them think about "jumping to your death believing you can fly" and other infamous stories.

good analogy: "acid" reminds me more of the interpretation scene in "SLC punk" or "Easy Rider", as opposed to Phish "IT."

The public stigma around the word "acid" used to bug me, but now I like it. The stigma is a barrier to entry that keeps out the dummies who probably would freak out on acid anyways.

On forums and when I'm trying to be precise I'll call it LSD, but in public I like to call it acid. Now the name "lucy" bugs me because it feels like a euphemism, and euphemisms feel like the phoniest thing, especially when you're on acid.

When I was in middle school/high school I heard about "acid" and imagined a green tab that could burn a hole through your mouth. It seemed insane that anyone would eat "acid". Then I got interested in drugs and did my own research and discovered the truth. Honestly I think "acid" isn't the greatest slang term for it for this reason, it denotes something caustic and dangerous. It definitely makes sense how the name came about (lysergic acid diethylamide), but I think it contributes to the fear and misinformation surrounding the drug. But probably the biggest factor is the extensive demonization campaign the government went about against LSD and its users.

I too have met many people who look down on LSD and people who use it but are totally fine with mushrooms. In my experience mushrooms are more likely to cause a difficult experience, and LSD is one of the physically safest drugs available. The whole natural vs synthetic thing is pretty silly... people will say "you shouldn't ingest chemicals, just plants", but they fail to understand that everything is just a chemical soup. There are plenty of plants (and plant drugs that people use) which are far more dangerous than many of the synthetics, and there are countless synthetic chemicals we use in medicine that most people wouldn't think twice about taking is prescribed. Opium and its constituents are some of the most dangerous and life-debilitating drugs available and they are produced entirely naturally within a plant.

I do understand when people refuse to ingest new, relatively unresearched substances... it's a sensible personal choice. But it doesn't make sense to look down on someone for their choices in what they choose to ingest.

I started smoking weed at 17, it was my first drug though I did drink once at 16 (didn't get more than a little buzz). I started psychedelics at 18. I'm glad I waited for sure.

Yeah I saw Phish live for the first time this summer... phenomenal, one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. I took DOC for it and the music and my dancing to it helped me to work through some emotional blockages I had regarding the end of my last relationship... I've felt freer ever since. :)

I started smoking weed at 17, it was my first drug though I did drink once at 16 (didn't get more than a little buzz). I started psychedelics at 18. I'm glad I waited for sure.

Yeah I saw Phish live for the first time this summer... phenomenal, one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. I took DOC for it and the music and my dancing to it helped me to work through some emotional blockages I had regarding the end of my last relationship... I've felt freer ever since. :)
Sounds wonderful. I've never gotten into Phish. Any recommendations for an album to try out?

Dont put any stake into what uneducated amd stupid (most drug users are) people have to say about nueropharmacology. ...you wouldn't listen to what they had to say about particle physics would you? Dont even try to educate these people its pointless

For sure there is a whole lot of ignorance, triggered by ill-informed biased media reports and misinformation. As someone mentioned above, tell someone not educated in psychedelics that you want to take acid and they expect that you will see pink elephants, think you can fly and jump to your death from a high place.
I find acid has a very strong dose response curve, and most of the blotters on today's market are under 100mcg's as opposed to the 300mcg doses of the 60's, I would rather take a low dose such as 100mcg and go out on the town and socialize/party and wake up the next day feeling fresh as opposed to today's trend of binging on hundreds of $'s of overpriced alcohol that leaves you in bed recovering for the next day.
Sure some people take acid and go crazy, but what about alcohol, I'd bet that on a case for case basis a country addicted to LSD would do far less harm than a country addicted to alcohol.

^Can you imagine what it would be like if we lived in a society where people tripped on psychedelics all the time instead of drank? I'm sure there would be lots of problems with that scenario too, but I'd love to see it. Hmm.. that might be a good thread.

^Maybe we would all start using the word "groovy" again! Also the crude birth rate would likely increase!

I'm all for LSD but it's important to remember that it's not for everyone, the same as alcohol, I'm sure we all know some people who are really nice until they get drunk, then they get super aggressive and violent.