• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Psychoactive Honeys, Info and Bioassays

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Note: Please read the entire thread as there’s a lot more information in the proceeding posts.

I told ya’ll I had some good info coming up. Lots of projects on the table right now but this is my most exciting in my opinion. Hopefully generates some discussion :)

If your someone that studies unique psychoactive drugs than maybe you’ve heard of “Mad Honey” a honey with a long history of use in Turkey and neighboring regions. The honey is made from rhododendrons and contain grayanotoxins which cause an inebriation of sorts.

While I have been interested in this honey (yet to try, it’s popularity makes it expensive) I came across an article on Erowid which detailed many other potential psychoactive honeys with little information regarding their use in modern contexts. In the following days/weeks I will report on 3 of these honeys, those which I felt had the most potential for something unique to be had.

Today im going to start with what I believe may be the most interesting of the bunch (im open to being surprised lol).

Melipona Honey:

On the Yucatán peninsula there exists a stingless bee that has been domesticated for millennia by the Maya. Bees of the Melipona genus. At certain times of year these bees collect pollen from the plants of Ipomea spp, Turbina corymbosa, and Lonchocarpus violaceus which seem to contribute to the psychoactive effects of this honey.

The third species listed is a tree named the balche tree. The honey is combined with bark from this tree to create a mead (named Balche) with inebriation that can’t be attributed to alcohol alone.

Over time the Maya would have only these species growing close to the hives to ensure a psychoactive product.

“Medicinal honeys were created by situating hives near natural stands of the Lonchocarpus violaceus tree to enrich it in the pollen…”

I went hunting for some of this sacred honey but was unable to find honey that specifically listed they had pollen from the specific trees listed. That said I did find a product that I believe is THE honey despite them not saying such, it’s Melipona honey collected on the Yucatán at the correct time of year and the vendor said phrases that made me believe one should be careful with this stuff. I also bought honey fortified with pollen, in hopes to have an even stronger product.

Honey came and I opened to see a fairly free flowing honey with a strong floral/fruity fragrance. I licked off just the cap thinking it would be a good test dose for allergies, I was wrong..

Within 15mins I was smiling ear to ear, laughing my ass off at the TV. Absolutely shocked at how good I felt, for the next hour and a half I was dying from laughter when not usually like that. Then the sedation hit, don’t remember much other than my eyes were half closed and blood shot. I went to take a quick nap.

Woke up 2hrs later not quite knowing where I was for a minute, still noticeably high. By 4hrs post dosing I was pretty much sober. Very short duration compared to other drugs. Sleep that night slightly disturbed.

I started researching and found that with Ipomea species the ergoline alkaloids don’t transfer to the honey based on one article. I then began studying the Lonchocarpus violaceus and found some information that seemed interesting.

“The bark and the seeds contain rotenone210 (which can be clearly recognized by its scent; cf. Morton 1995, 44*) as well as several rotenoides or sapo-nines, flavonoids, and tannins (Delle Monache et al. 1978; Menichini et al. 1982; Neuwinger 1994, 623*). Also present in the bark are the prenylated stilbenes A-, B-, C-, and D-longistyline (Delle Monache et al. 1977; de Smet 1983, 140*). The fruits (pods and seeds) appear to contain the highest concentrations of rotenone (Morton 1995, 44*). It is sometimes thought that an alkaloid is also present. An initial analysis of a balche’ drink made with Lonchocarpus violaceusdid not detect any alkaloids (Hartmut Laatsch, pers. comm.).”

“The longistylines are chemically related to kavains and kavapyrones (cf. Piper methysticum) and to hispidine (see “Polyporus mysticus”) and likely elicit similar effects. Rotenone is found in a number of plants, including the tuba root (Derris elliptica [Sweet] Benth.211; Fabaceae); it is regarded as an abortifacient and is thus dangerous to ingest during pregnancy (Roth et al. 1994, 298*). The effects of the balche’ drink are likely due to the presence of the longistylines:

Chemically, the structures of the longistylines leave some room for interpretation. Thus, for example, it may be that an aminisation in the body (similar to that of myristicine from nutmeg [cf. Myristica fragrans]) into mescaline-like alkaloids is responsible for the effects. But the structural similarity with the styryl pyrones of Piper methysticum suggests that the drink is more likely on the same level as kavakava, which also agrees quite well with the effects that you have described.”

Now if we look deeper we see there’s research on one of the substances found..

All that said it appears the substances found in the Balche tree are similar to Kava. That’s pretty much exactly how I felt off the honey, both the effects and duration highly resembled my experience with Kava in the past. They say they found no alkaloids in the balche drink but are stilbenes considered alkaloids?

Whatever the case I’m excited to try more of this in the near future, 1/4 teaspoon probably going to be a decent dose. I think the added pollen is making it much stronger than normal as well. Will report back once I have more experience!

Rosemary Honey:

My second honey featured in this thread, might not be exciting but psychoactive nonetheless.

It’s reported from multiple places that Rosemary honey (Rosmarinus officinalis) has psychoactive properties but not much is known on the effects. Rosemary itself is known to be psychoactive; analgesic and memory enhancing among other things.

Mono-floral Rosemary honey from Spain, a light coloration and honestly a light taste that only becomes noticeable at larger amounts of a herbaceous nature.

Not entirely sure which components are psychoactive but 1,8-cineole is one to look at.

Day 1 I tried it at an allergy dose which gave nothing, then 1/4tsp which had something but easily could’ve been placebo. 1tsp had possibly light effects but still possible placebo.

Day 2 I went for a tablespoon to really go for it. At this dose I finally noticed some effects. Nothing to write home about but an effect very warming in the head/ears and somewhat THC-like. Not really sedating but relaxed would be a better description. Also my lungs opened up a bit too.

I think this would be best as a honey mixed with chamomile tea or something similar for a nighttime hot drink, also good for when your ill. This is the cheapest of the honeys I’ll be trying too so despite its much lower potency it’s easier to obtain and buy for most people.

Update: Rosemary Honey actually reliably stimulates the release of beta-endorphin and hits on GABA from 8-methoxy-kaempferol and kaempferol present, so well in fact that I’ve found this honey to be mildly addicting. Thankfully one cannot gain a tolerance to beta-endorphin and there seems to be little rebound effect compared to exogenous opiates. Much more info regarding Rosemary Honey in the following posts!

Sidr Honey:

While this wasn’t the 3rd honey I intended on trying (that one still to come) I feel this ones worth mentioning. It’s considered a medicinal honey comparable in ways to Manuka. It’s a light golden color and tastes like a dry desert area to me, can’t describe it other than that.

I’ve tried it a couple times up to 1-2tsps, and it’s effect in some ways resembles Rosemary Honey. Except feels more GABA heavy. One night I got dizzy after eating some chocolate banana bread and wasn’t sure if it was the honey or MAOI properties. (How does chocolate react with MAOI?)

Overall similar to Rosemary but kinda dirty and much less euphoric in comparison. With Rosemary I’ve actually got a shit eating grin a couple times with it, not here.

I’m starting to get the impression these closely related flavonoids found in a variety of medicinal honeys have similar yet different effects ranging from opioid to GABA, with some slight extras mixed in.

I also believe most store bought honeys have the flavonoids and phenolics degraded by heat. Hence why most regular honey has no effect.

Honey and Wound Care:

It took me seeing to believe but certain honeys are hands down best thing I’ve tried for wounds. I cut my hands a lot working or whatever, sometimes because of my job they take a long time to heal. I’ve tried Rosemary and Sidr Honey with very positive results. It burns when first put on but the wounds heal probably 4x quicker and the pain goes away completely after the initial burn. From now on I will be using honey on most of my wounds for faster healing.

-GC

Last edited:
I think for a chemical to be considered an alkaloid it must contain a nitrogen so I would say no that is not an alkaloid. Great report!!! 👍

Hearing talk about rotenone should raise very strong caution signals. It is used experimentally to induce parkinsons disease, and has strong correlations with occupational exposure and parkinsons disease.

It appears to have pro-convulsant effects (which are typically correlated with anxiogenic effects).

Do you think you could get some kind of MS analysis of the honey? That would be the best chance of catching rotenone or a related rotenoid.

Edit:

This is extremely interesting, i hope both got you and for the sake of the psychoactive community that there are some cool understudied compounds in the honey.

Hearing talk about rotenone should raise very strong caution signals. It is used experimentally to induce parkinsons disease, and has strong correlations with occupational exposure and parkinsons disease.

It appears to have pro-convulsant effects (which are typically correlated with anxiogenic effects).

Do you think you could get some kind of MS analysis of the honey? That would be the best chance of catching rotenone or a related rotenoid.

Edit:

This is extremely interesting, i hope both got you and for the sake of the psychoactive community that there are some cool understudied compounds in the honey.

So here’s my take.. Rotenone is toxic to fish and used to poison fish by the locals, for what exact reason IDK maybe some method of fishing.

I read an anecdote that I need to find again where they stated the specific tree used doesn’t have this property despite resembling trees that do. I forget if it’s just different species or a different genus all together.

On top of that, the rotenone may not be present in the pollen/nectar but probably is to some extent.

My final strand of hope came from the long term use of this drink which I’m assuming has been analyzed at some point but maybe I’m wrong? They analyzed it for alkaloids.

Honestly the more I read about rotenone the more I see that I ain’t touching it again until I know more about the composition of the honey. The low dose causing problems scares me. Fuck who knows maybe I just induced PD…. I had zero anxiety, but it could’ve been masked.

To add Rotenone would also be toxic to the bees and research shows it’s a repellent to Melipona bees of another species. So it would seem the likelihood it occurs in the pollen in sizable amounts is unlikely.

All this said I’m probably going to put out the money to get it tested. Question is where? I doubt Drugs Data has a reference standard for retonone.

It’s interesting that the original drink Balche uses the bark in the fermentation process. I’m wondering if there’s increased rates of Parkinson’s in those regions where use may still be common.

Edit- Not that this means much but all I could find is that there is really low levels of Parkinson’s in Mexico compared with the rest of the world. Nothing more specific than that.

-GC

Last edited:
Found the anecdote I was looking for…

“Lacandones lump all these species into two categories; “hach Balche” meaning authentic Balche and “ya’ax Balche” meaning green Balche. They differentiate the two based on leaf shape and color, flower color, bark texture, and the degree of toxicity of the resin of bark. Hach Balche provides the bark which the Lacandones use to make Balche. They avoid ya’ax Balche saying it gives bad stomach aches and diarrhea. Legend has it (some guy)’s assistants made the first Balche from this tree, drank it, then died. Conceivably the cause of their demise, and the negative effects felt by the Lacandones, is due to Rotenone.”

That is not word for word but close.

So it seems they did some experiments themselves to find the tree that worked for them. I’m going to assume that if my honey is containing Balche pollen it’s like the authentic kind. That said small amounts Rotenone still scare me. It sounds like we’ve all probably had some with organic produce.

-GC

Honestly if you were able to get competent LCMS analysis of the honey and were able to identify psychoactives, it would be novel enough to publish in an ethnobotany journal.

I wonder if you could reach out to an academic for analysis with the carrot of an easy publication on a super understudied topic.

A lot of your research would streamline target identification of the actives.

Honestly if you were able to get competent LCMS analysis of the honey and were able to identify psychoactives, it would be novel enough to publish in an ethnobotany journal.

I wonder if you could reach out to an academic for analysis with the carrot of an easy publication on a super understudied topic.

A lot of your research would streamline target identification of the actives.

Hmmm that’s a good idea, I feel so “backwoods” that I often forget there’s professional researchers that would find this interesting as well. Problem is I have absolutely no idea where I’d start. I was actually contemplating contacting Erowid to see if they could at least do a decent analysis. Mainly I’m curious to find rotenoids or the longistylines.

Good thing I got a fair amount of this stuff for both bioassay and analysis.

-GC

Within 15mins I was smiling ear to ear, laughing my ass off at the TV. Absolutely shocked at how good I felt,
That's very interesting, just an fyi, as soon as I read this I recalled an odd bible passage talking about the (psychoactive?) effect of honey (found it) -

[1Sa 14:27, 29 KJV] 27 But Jonathan heard not when his father charged the people with the oath: wherefore he put forth the end of the rod that [was] in his hand, and dipped it in an honeycomb, and put his hand to his mouth; and his eyes were enlightened. ...

29 Then said Jonathan, My father hath troubled the land: see, I pray you, how mine eyes have been enlightened, because I tasted a little of this honey.

Maybe, that's what's going on in these verses.

Super interesting! I look forward to hearing more. But yeah definitely be careful. Experimenting with underexplored psychoactive honey is certainly not worth Parkinson's!

Honey number 2 is reported on above, Rosemary Honey. Here out I’ll post an update when one is available but the information will be edited into the main OP above.

-GC

Something interesting about honey, it seems to reduce opioid tolerance..

One more reason among many to use it as your sweetener :)

-GC
I don't know if i would draw conclusions that paper.

I'm not even sure what they measured for a few experiments, and apparently honey is a better potentiator of morphine withdrawal than methadone.

"To determine the effect of honey on the
development of morphine tolerance, honey (200 mg/
kg i.g.) was injected concomitantly with morphine
but in days that analgesic tolerance testing was
measured, morphine was injected first and analgesic
tolerance was measured 30 minutes after morphine
administration and then, honey was given."

I don't know if i would draw conclusions that paper.

I'm not even sure what they measured for a few experiments, and apparently honey is a better potentiator of morphine withdrawal than methadone.

"To determine the effect of honey on the
development of morphine tolerance, honey (200 mg/
kg i.g.) was injected concomitantly with morphine
but in days that analgesic tolerance testing was
measured, morphine was injected first and analgesic
tolerance was measured 30 minutes after morphine
administration and then, honey was given."

Ya after I posted that I looked some more. It seems the honey just promotes faster healing is all, your right it’s a shit paper I posted last night half asleep but for sake of others learning I’ll leave it up.

Essentially they saw less need for pain relievers with the honey because of the reduced inflammation and faster heal times, not any interaction with the morphine.

-GC

Hey guys,

So in regards to the Melipona beecheii honey/pollen I’ve been doing my research. @Skorpio brought up an excellent point regarding the toxicity with rotenone, even rather small doses can cause long term Parkinson’s.

I dug through as many articles and abstracts as I could and feel I’ve come to a reasonable conclusion.

I first looked far and wide to see if rotenone could possibly be contained within the pollen/nectar, and found nothing saying it can be found there. It seems to be concentrated in areas of the tree the plant wants to protect itself from insects, and doesn’t seem any tree that produces rotenone has it in their pollen or nectar far as I can see. Evolutionary it wouldn’t make sense to kill the insects that help you reproduce. These trees rely heavily on these bees for reproduction.

Next I found multiple articles looking at which pollen types are most commonly collected by M. beecheii and interestingly they highly prefer Fabaceae trees more specifically the species of Lonchocarpus. M. beecheii do take pollen from other families of psychoactive plants but based on what I see they more often than not go for Lonchocarpus almost to the point of being considered mono-floral (54% in one article).

With how many analysis have been done on these bees I’m assuming if the honey contained rotenone they’d have found it by now but my next article looks at the propolis they create.

Propolis is like a construction material that stingless bees make for a variety of things, often made from resins and parts of plants. One analysis I viewed found; b-fenchene ~15%, styrene ~9% benzaldehyde ~7.5%, and a majority terpenoids ~58%.

Since Rotenone is a flavonoid I can assume it wasn’t found correct?

Another analysis of the propolis also found no rotenone.

Next let’s look at rotenones instability to hydrolysis it could be assumed if there’s any small amount in there it will degrade to substances known to have much less toxicity to rotenone itself.

All of this on top of knowing that the natives know which Lonchocarpus are toxic and which aren’t, and seem to try to have the hives located near the correct trees..

I’m concluding at the moment that the honey/pollen created from Lonchocarpus is likely free of rotenone. I’m also concluding that while other psychoactive species of plants are part of Melipona beecheii’s list to gather from, they seem to greatly prefer Lonchocarpus spp. Lonchocarpus species are likely responsible for its effects.

I actually wonder based on what I saw if these bees were domesticated to prefer these trees over millennia. The one article I saw looked at 4 native Mexico bee species and M. beecheii was the only one to highly prefer Lonchocarpus/Fabaceae.

It should also be mentioned that Mimosa and Acacia hang out in Fabaceae, and one analysis found a high quantity of Mimosa gemmulata pollen.

-GC

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So in regards to the Melipona beecheii honey/pollen I’ve been doing my research. @Skorpio brought up an excellent point regarding the toxicity with rotenone, even rather small doses can cause long term Parkinson’s.

I dug through as many articles and abstracts as I could and feel I’ve come to a reasonable conclusion.

I first looked far and wide to see if rotenone could possibly be contained within the pollen/nectar, and found nothing saying it can be found there. It seems to be concentrated in areas of the tree the plant wants to protect itself from insects, and doesn’t seem any tree that produces rotenone has it in their pollen or nectar far as I can see. Evolutionary it wouldn’t make sense to kill the insects that help you reproduce. These trees rely heavily on these bees for reproduction.

Next I found multiple articles looking at which pollen types are most commonly collected by M. beecheii and interestingly they highly prefer Fabaceae trees more specifically the species of Lonchocarpus. M. beecheii do take pollen from other families of psychoactive plants but based on what I see they more often than not go for Lonchocarpus almost to the point of being considered mono-floral (54% in one article).

With how many analysis have been done on these bees I’m assuming if the honey contained rotenone they’d have found it by now but my next article looks at the propolis they create.

Propolis is like a construction material that stingless bees make for a variety of things, often made from resins and parts of plants. One analysis I viewed found; b-fenchene ~15%, styrene ~9% benzaldehyde ~7.5%, and a majority terpenoids ~58%.

Since Rotenone is a flavonoid I can assume it wasn’t found correct?

Another analysis of the propolis also found no rotenone.

Next let’s look at rotenones instability to hydrolysis it could be assumed if there’s any small amount in there it will degrade to substances known to have much less toxicity to rotenone itself.

All of this on top of knowing that the natives know which Lonchocarpus are toxic and which aren’t, and seem to try to have the hives located near the correct trees..

I’m concluding at the moment that the honey/pollen created from Lonchocarpus is likely free of rotenone. I’m also concluding that while other psychoactive species of plants are part of Melipona beecheii’s list to gather from, they seem to greatly prefer Lonchocarpus spp. Lonchocarpus species are likely responsible for its effects.

I actually wonder based on what I saw if these bees were domesticated to prefer these trees over millennia. The one article I saw looked at 4 native Mexico bee species and M. beecheii was the only one to highly prefer Lonchocarpus/Fabaceae.

It should also be mentioned that Mimosa and Acacia hang out in Fabaceae, and one analysis found a high quantity of Mimosa gemmulata pollen.

-GC
That inference about rotenone not being in honey is pretty clever.

Been using Rosemary Honey often as just a nice way to relax at the end of the day plus it’s a good healthy sweet instead of something worse like processed sugars. Also it’s one of the best for maintaining antioxidant potential due to Rosemarys antioxidant compounds known to help stabilize food products for longer shelf life.

It’s not really sedating at all but definitely relaxing, and feels good on the body with a definable warmth most noticed in the ears. Takes a couple teaspoons at least to feel even light effects though.

I looked around and noticed many products use extracts of Rosemary to mimic cannabis like effects so it seems reasonable said properties have been transferred to the honey.

-GC

Well once again I went hunting cuz this warmth feels distinctly opiate to me.. This is what I found.

“Analgesic effects of aqueous and alcoholic extract of Rosmarinus officinalis have been antagonized by naloxone. This may imply its interaction with opioid receptors.”

This comes from a study that tried using Rosemary for opiate WD with some decent success.

Honey with an opiate feel to it.. I can dig it. Glad I got 3 bottles hehe.

-GC

Last edited:
Update on Rosemary Honey.. I underestimated it.

So before I knew it likely hit on opioid receptors I had used it for roughly a week every night. When I stopped I made it two days before noticing what appeared to be mild yet very there withdrawal symptoms. Because of my past opiate use I kindle like a MF so even small amounts these days can get me. Since then I’ve had trouble not using it at night so I warn anyone with a love for opiates please beware. It’s not gonna take you to the moon but definitely like in the neighborhood of kratom for me at least.

People may be thinking I’m BSing on this honey. Well here you go people.

First an article to show that dried Rosemary at a dosage of 5 grams a day had a significant impact on Opium withdrawal.

Next an article showing naloxone antagonizes this effect.

Now you’re thinking “cool G-Chem” but how TF does that mean the Rosemary Honey will get me high too?!?

Surprisingly I found an article looking at the composition of the Rosemary nectar found on the bees after collection. 93% was Kaempferol-3-sophorosidr and 7% was quercetin-3-sophoroside. An average of .8ug/g kaempferol.

This article shows the mechanism for antinociception with Kaempferol is possibly linked to various modulatory pathways, including opioid and GABA receptors. They used 10, 20 and 40ug per rat. This article also shows how the pain relieving effects aren’t related to muscle relaxation as locomotor activity was not effected even at effective dosages (similar to my reporting on the lack of sedation I feel.)

Next folks may be wondering, well fuck man ain’t flavonoids (despite being known as often having psychoactive properties) pretty poorly bioavailable? Yes, normally..

This article goes over varying bioavailability for quercetin and kaempferol based on which glycoside it is. These flavonoids are most often found as bound glycosides which means, roughly, that there is a sugar molecule bound to it. It’s interesting that these substances are found in many natural foods we commonly eat, just most of them have poorly bioavailable forms.

In this article take note how the foods with the sophoroside addition also happen to be the most bioavailable as well. Overall though it seems humans lack these enzymes to break these bonds easily.

This is where the bees come in. The bees are utilizing these glycosides found in the nectar. They have the enzymes needed to remove the glycoside bond.

“Secretory glycoside hydrolases (GHs) produced in worker head glands aid in the processing of floral nectar into honey.”

The bees in essence turn this often nearly un-bioavailable flavonoid and make it so. Pretty neat huh?

Just to add a bit more, here’s an article showing even as the glucoronide glycoside kaempferol had ok absorption in comparison to the near zero absorption for quercetin.

All this said, even if unbound it still seems a low dosage of .8ug/g of honey. We’d somehow have to increase the bioavailability. Well honey just so happens to do that!

The next article shows how honey increases the bioavailability of a different flavonoid even in its glycoside form. It seems honey used a medium for other medicines allows for increased BA.

“The existence of glycosidase enzyme in bee salivary glands contribute essentially to hydrolyzing glycosylated polyphenols into aglycones form. Therefore, honey polyphenols which are in aglycones forms, could have more potential bioavailability than other foods..”

I think at this point it’s pretty safe to say Rosemary honey likely has these effects and this isn’t placebo. Kaempferol, a normally poorly bioavailable flavonoid with opioid properties is hydrolyzed to a more bioavailable form via the bees enzymes. This bioavailability is then increased even more by being within the honey itself. If that ain’t fucking cool idk what is..

-GC

Last edited:
@G_Chem

Does this honey have noticable rosemary flavor? I'm always a fan of culinary items with psychoactivity (like cooking with amanita muscaria).

Very cool write up as usual. Keep up the good work.

@G_Chem

Does this honey have noticable rosemary flavor? I'm always a fan of culinary items with psychoactivity (like cooking with amanita muscaria).

Very cool write up as usual. Keep up the good work.

Surprisingly not really. It is herbaceous in nature but not immediately recognized as Rosemary. That said, I agree I love the idea of not only making an amazing meal but also having psychoactive components to it as well. In a dinner party situation this would relax the crowd without them feeling noticeably altered at the dosages they’d likely eat, I would highly recommend it. Kaempferol also is a substance very good for the body with all sorts of health benefits on top of its analgesic properties.

It’s herby flavor would probably lend itself well to more savory dishes, but also perfect in tea like I’ve been doing.

Thanks man this stuff gets me so excited. I wish there was more research on this but I can tell they’re just getting into it. Will hopefully report in a couple weeks on the last of the 3 in this series.

I might be purchasing more possibly psychoactive honeys to continue this awesome thread but money’s tight at the moment. Probably pick those up in a month or two. The next honey I’m trying though is a highly regarded in the country of its origin, very excited on that as well :)

-GC

Last edited: