View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics As Hangover Cures

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
So, I've noticed that when I dose LSD or psilocybin after/during rather heavy alcohol use (they opened a lovely wine bar on my block) I have absolutely zero headache the next day. This happens without fail. I regularly make mushroom tea after a night at the wine bar or pub and feel fine the next day. Usually this is fairly low dose tea (something like 2g in a pot shared with at least one other person...hard to gauge as I just eye it out in my grinder).

Seperately, I've also noticed my hangovers are a lot more benign since I quit smoking darts which is probably something to do with dehydration, if I were to guess.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has the same experience with psychedelics as a hangover minimiser and if anyone knows by which mechanism they would prevent headaches from alcohol-induced dehydration/withdrawal.

Oh god, that sounds awful. I know some of them (looking at you DOI) are obscenely powerful anti-inflammatories, so maybe that's a possible mechanism.

Along the lines of your original observation, I will often drink to excess during the comedown of a psychedelic to ease re entry and sleep, and with some I find there to be a surprising lack of next day consequence. That effect is not as apparent as it used to be, though. Too many variables to be sure why.

Oh god, that sounds awful.

Yeah, it's not the best. :LOL:

I know some of them (looking at you DOI) are obscenely powerful anti-inflammatories, so maybe that's a possible mechanism.

Along the lines of your original observation, I will often drink to excess during the comedown of a psychedelic to ease re entry and sleep, and with some I find there to be a surprising lack of next day consequence. That effect is not as apparent as it used to be, though. Too many variables to be sure why.

How does DOI act as an anti-inflammatory? Any idea?

Glad to read that I'm not the only one experiencing this/imagining things.

I don't remember why it is either (or even if it's well understood), but apparently most of the serotogenic psychedelics are anti-inflammatories to some extent, with DOI being extremely powerful in this regard.

As someone with cancerous tumors in my body for awhile, I was able to feel anything which was inflammatory or anti-inflammatory. In terms of inflammation, almost every psychedelic and empathogen I tried produced a marked decrease in inflammation. MDMA seeming to be the strongest/best of the bunch from what I could see, Mescaline and DMT not far behind.

-GC

Interesting.

I'm super curious to know by what mechanism serotonergic drugs act as anti-inflammatories. Looks like my low dose mushroom tea thing may be physically beneficial as well!

Fuck tripping while piss drunk, its horrible.. A few beers fine.

Also I heard intermittent water drinking can reduce hangover too.

Also I heard intermittent water drinking can reduce hangover too.

Damn, yeah, piss drunk is weird. Did that only once.....with LSD. It was....alright, but weird. I have a massive alcohol tolerance so I wouldn't classify as any of the times I've mixed psychedelics with alcohol as me having been "piss drunk".

Intermittent water intake helps because it combats some of the dehydration that alcohol causes.

I rarely see it mentioned anywhere, but sugar helps against hangovers as well. The body has trouble getting all the energy needed to break down alcohol out of alcohol's own caloric content, the trick seems to be keeping the metabolism going. Maybe that's the mechanism behind the psych/hooch interaction as well?.. i.e. upping the oxidation rate without turning into much of a physical stressor in itself.

There are all kinds of fancy substances that help with breaking down alcohol, but somehow I keep forgetting their names. It's just plain weird to do harm reduction on a substance for which physical harm is culturally accepted. So there's the general feeling of "fuck taking anything while piss drunk", but it's irrational really.

As someone with cancerous tumors in my body for awhile, I was able to feel anything which was inflammatory or anti-inflammatory. In terms of inflammation, almost every psychedelic and empathogen I tried produced a marked decrease in inflammation. MDMA seeming to be the strongest/best of the bunch from what I could see, Mescaline and DMT not far behind.

-GC

MDMA, beyond microdose level, also hampers the immune system. So it could become one of those things that treats symptoms but worsens underlying causes. (Doesn't apply to alcohol, just sayin' it's probably not the "best" at anti-inflammation in every sense, I'd prefer psychedelics in most cases.)

It depends...if I hadn't used psychedelics recently, then yeah, I see what you mean. Acid would act as a strong stimulant (if it was good) so you could pretty much drink all night and be wide awake & still high at 4 AM...and then when you wake up after eventually passing out, you'll get the psychedelic afterglow, and that always made me feel good

If I had done psychedelics consistently this would wear off, though, and the terrible hangovers would intrude into my thoughts...plus I'd start to get progressively more depressed on the comedowns. Psychedelics are best used sparingly, IMHO, for greatest possible effect

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest dosing with psychedelics just to try and avoid the worst of the alcohol withdrawal. It's just a weird correlation I've noticed since I started taking low dose mushroom tea somewhat regularly.

Shit, even more sparing should be use of alcohol if we're being real.

^Cheers to that. 🥴

I just remembered how oddly enough I had no physical hangover after 32 beers in a row, yet had only combined with ephenidine, which is a bit of stimulant. I did have excellent set and setting.. but still, you'd expect a dissociative to worsen alcohol's impact on the brain, yet Mister Wrinkles escaped unscathed.. not in the least bit phased by this brutal, chemical assault.

The upscale hooching one can perform on SNRIs also attests to that, that it's about keeping the whole thing going. Even getting a mere run helps, though then the headache mitigation becomes about endorphins as well.

I imagine the contraction of the blood vessels around the brain helps as well, stimulants being vasoconstrictors.