• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and nitrous, "jokes on you" effect

Look at 3-MeO-PCP and how it can cause manic thoughts related to solving some ultimate mystery. I'm not exactly sure what circuits of the brain are involved but I suspect there are ones related to confidence and solving or answering, completing or achieving something at play just like I subscribe to the theory that strong stimulation of circuits related to novelty of an experience can lead to feeling like you are doing something for the first time (a difference is, you can often still rationalize that in fact it is not actually the first time you are doing something while tripping).
There may be inhibitory aspects of the action of drugs like ketamine that give it reduced potential for such manic effects compared to PCP and 3-MeO-PCP, well at least with S-ketamine - IME with the R isomer you can still get such effects.

The confidence I mentioned actually seems more like a by-product of numbness / painlessness, the combination can make you feel invulnerable. Though it may at the same time be related to reward pathways.

Dissociatives seem weird, some of the effects may just be due to regular properties of the mind going unchecked by others - regular aspects being without control.

Anyway, nitrous is an NMDA antagonist too but of course highly numbing and with very quickly peaking kinetics. How is the cosmic joke not kind of like a compressed psychedelic and manic 3-MeO-PCP sort of flash at that peak after which it just drops off again and upon coming down regular thought patterns come online again. If the effects are illusory like I think they are it is not surprising that it feels intangible when we try to integrate it or piece it back together. Even when some elements are pieced together the feeling of having found the key is bound to be missing.
(Not that trips aren't often creative or that they can't involve problem solving or out of the box associations.)

Now that I think about it, it occurs to me that both stimulants and dissociatives can ultimately feel initially rewarding but ultimately unredeeming in this effect. Stims involve less illusion and for it is more directly apparent to me that the effects are inherently empty and make mostly sense when we use them to do things which then are rewarding. Disso's "work well" as escapist drugs but that is quite another thing.

Last edited:
For me the most often time the nitrous comes out is after a show/festival, and everyones still trippy and the nitrous starts getting passed around the hang-out circle. I generally dislike this setting for doing nitrous for that very reason; everyones sort of waiting for their turn, watching you and your reaction, smiling and giggling like the happy trippy people they are.
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit but I was wondering how can you share nitrous among a group that big? Do you keep releasing crackers onto the same balloon? How much people a n2o cartridge can feed, so to speak?

Thank god there are others who have this experience, the exact same thing as me.

The answer that I've always come up with is the same, it's all a big game and I'm it. Every epiphany I have when tripping has already been had, I already know the answer to the question I'm asking. All I know is like others have pointed out, the "revelation" is always a sensation. It's that whole body orgasmic shaking I get when I figure it out. And then I lose it and discover a "deeper" truth only to get the same physical sensation which is of course very pleasurable.

I remember my first series of wippiphanies though. I had never done nitrous with psychedelics so at the peak of a candflip once the acid took hold I did a balloon. I was always curious what the womp womp womp womp sound that people always described.

- I realized the womp wasn't actually a sound but a feeling (wippiphany #1)
- As I suck the next balloon down, i get the womp and as I'm breathing back into the balloon and getting more co2 the womp gets louder and I feel pretty dissociated and then I realize the womp is actually my brain needing oxygen not any grand insight (wippiphany #2)
- It's all a big joke by everyone who's described its effects. They knew I would find out the womp is your brain needing o2, part of the joke. (wippiphany #3)
- I realized we all have similar or exact experiences with psychedelics (wippiphany #4)

And on and on and on. Of course I never got anywhere, but that's part of the joke. It's ultimately a game of pleasure.

Nitrous is a strange but fascinating drug to use in combination with psychedelics. I just wish it lasted longer.

It's great for hedonism and I thought it was an ideal add-on to psychedelics until I had seizure activity on nitrous with acid and became very sensitive to this recurring so I stopped doing that pretty much right after that. Still really cool with K or molly if I still partied with those.

I would never use a cracker let alone share one, I think overusing a whipped cream cylinder (which is how you can cater to an after party if you don't have an actual tank) is already bad enough: even sturdy devices freeze eventually because the cooling effect of each cartridge expanding is additive, and you consequently run the risk of having cartridges load improperly so they can behave unpredictably and even release the gas unexpectedly which launches them and if you would be caught in its trajectory you'd be really really fucked.

I think the (neuro)psychology of trips with this theme is really interesting. On shrooms or salvia it wouldn't be weird to get a trip involving being the object of a joke or often worse like a gameshow (it must be a Japanese gameshow for sho). I guess it could be dissected into things like anxieties and paranoia over 'being in the dark' about what is going on (because of intensity and weirdness it being hard or impossible to cope or keep up). Supposedly bad dreams help you train or simulate / practice challenges which may be real or irrational anxieties, often deep seated ones which are engrained in themes we experience constantly like a sense of powerlessness. Dreams that involve us being embarrassed are pretty clich?. Maybe the mentioned drugs elevate those issues to a sort of existential level?

It's great for hedonism and I thought it was an ideal add-on to psychedelics until I had seizure activity on nitrous with acid and became very sensitive to this recurring so I stopped doing that pretty much right after that. Still really cool with K or molly if I still partied with those.

I would never use a cracker let alone share one, I think overusing a whipped cream cylinder (which is how you can cater to an after party if you don't have an actual tank) is already bad enough: even sturdy devices freeze eventually because the cooling effect of each cartridge expanding is additive, and you consequently run the risk of having cartridges load improperly so they can behave unpredictably and even release the gas unexpectedly which launches them and if you would be caught in its trajectory you'd be really really fucked.

I think the (neuro)psychology of trips with this theme is really interesting. On shrooms or salvia it wouldn't be weird to get a trip involving being the object of a joke or often worse like a gameshow (it must be a Japanese gameshow for sho). I guess it could be dissected into things like anxieties and paranoia over 'being in the dark' about what is going on (because of intensity and weirdness it being hard or impossible to cope or keep up). Supposedly bad dreams help you train or simulate / practice challenges which may be real or irrational anxieties, often deep seated ones which are engrained in themes we experience constantly like a sense of powerlessness. Dreams that involve us being embarrassed are pretty clich?. Maybe the mentioned drugs elevate those issues to a sort of existential level?

Well thats pretty concerning. I wonder if there is any other info on seizures and nitrous?

As for whip cream dispenser's being dangerous, I think so long as you cover the mouth piece with a shirt or cloth you're good (after that one time something flew out into my mouth). I hear so much stuff about "freezing your lungs" yet there isn't a single documented case of this happening, and these things are used to do nitrous around the world every day. I've probably witnessed thousands of people take nitrous directly from the dispenser. What you're saying is in theory certainly possible though.

Replying to your previous post, I find it interesting you'd compare nitrous to other dissociatives. I've only ever done DXM, MXE and ketamine, but I really can't see any way that they are similar to nitrous. In fact, I don't really enjoy those drugs, yet I nitrous might be my favorite drug (when paired with MDMA+LSD). I always figured they lumped nitrous in with dissociatives since it isn't really psychedelic in a classical sense, and you sort of dissociate but in a much different manner IMO (more literal almost?). I did have one very high dose experience with MXE that was quite profound, but the body load and other side effects were so distracting that I didn't really gain anything from the experience and was overall just disorienting.

I felt those three (DXM, MXE and ketamine) were pretty damn similar; anyone who has done all three can see how they are clearly similar experiences, and unless you're an experienced user, I don't think I could tell the difference between them

Is 3-meo-pcp so different?

Last edited:
Tl:Dr

I just hope op inhaled oxygen and didn't traumatize themselves via oxygen deprivation.

Well thats pretty concerning. I wonder if there is any other info on seizures and nitrous?

As for whip cream dispenser's being dangerous, I think so long as you cover the mouth piece with a shirt or cloth you're good (after that one time something flew out into my mouth). I hear so much stuff about "freezing your lungs" yet there isn't a single documented case of this happening, and these things are used to do nitrous around the world every day. I've probably witnessed thousands of people take nitrous directly from the dispenser. What you're saying is in theory certainly possible though.

Replying to your previous post, I find it interesting you'd compare nitrous to other dissociatives. I've only ever done DXM, MXE and ketamine, but I really can't see any way that they are similar to nitrous. In fact, I don't really enjoy those drugs, yet I nitrous might be my favorite drug (when paired with MDMA+LSD). I always figured they lumped nitrous in with dissociatives since it isn't really psychedelic in a classical sense, and you sort of dissociate but in a much different manner IMO (more literal almost?). I did have one very high dose experience with MXE that was quite profound, but the body load and other side effects were so distracting that I didn't really gain anything from the experience and was overall just disorienting.

I felt those three (DXM, MXE and ketamine) were pretty damn similar; anyone who has done all three can see how they are clearly similar experiences, and unless you're an experienced user, I don't think I could tell the difference between them

Is 3-meo-pcp so different?

It's funny I would never have really categorized nitrous and arylcyclohexamines together despite them both being dissociatives, until a recent trip on mxe + moxy where on the comeup my tripping buddy was describing his BM and I just totally lost it as if I had just inhaled a balloon and couldn't stop laughing. The experience was almost identical lol

Tl:Dr

I just hope op inhaled oxygen and didn't traumatize themselves via oxygen deprivation.

That point when someone says "your lips are blue". Been there. Really dumb on my part.

Acid, k and nitrous. At a festival. The best.

My friends and I all did molly, after we tripped we got some nitrous oxide to use. When we did it I realised they weren’t doing it with me but were acting like they were. While I was tripping out they would do things to me like make me hallucinate. And make me feel like i’m in a joke or something They would only act like they’re taking whippets when I do it, and if I don’t they don’t do it at all. Am I a joke or something?

Yes. Learn to laugh about it. You'll jump ship at some point. Then who will laugh?

1-yellow-submarine.jpg

I've done nitrous a whole bunch of times with both crackers and whip cream dispensers (I prefer dispensers) and I have absolutely NO idea what you/he is/are talking about in the bolded part.

What do you mean by "if caught in the trajectory you'd be really fucked?" Are you talking about like a canister exploding or something somehow?? Can anyone explain to me what he means here?

Because I don't honestly see some great danger to nitrous at all. The biggest danger I know is that if you were to inhale straight out of the dispenser without a balloon people say your lungs can explode, which if true sounds HORRIFYING and thats why I never ever inhale out of the dispenser. Then of course there's the danger of not getting enough oxygen, but as long as you take a breath when you feel it's necessary I'd think generally you'll just kill some brain cells but be fine. And of course you can get an ice burn from the cannisters.

But in what way could you be "fucked" by "being in the trajectory of gas" when it goes off?

I've done nitrous a whole bunch of times with both crackers and whip cream dispensers (I prefer dispensers) and I have absolutely NO idea what you/he is/are talking about in the bolded part.

What do you mean by "if caught in the trajectory you'd be really fucked?" Are you talking about like a canister exploding or something somehow?? Can anyone explain to me what he means here?

Because I don't honestly see some great danger to nitrous at all. The biggest danger I know is that if you were to inhale straight out of the dispenser without a balloon people say your lungs can explode, which if true sounds HORRIFYING and thats why I never ever inhale out of the dispenser. Then of course there's the danger of not getting enough oxygen, but as long as you take a breath when you feel it's necessary I'd think generally you'll just kill some brain cells but be fine. And of course you can get an ice burn from the cannisters.

But in what way could you be "fucked" by "being in the trajectory of gas" when it goes off?
I huffed nitrous straight out of the dispenser, thanks for letting me know how dangerous that is

i was just thinking about this the other night after smoking salvia recently. i felt like aliens or spirits or something, i guess it could just be mind, was playing a prank on me. like i'd wake up and reality was some kind of joke or something. while tripping i was totally unaware of what reality was, but i knew i was going to wake up and be born in a different place or something.

i tried a whip cream can of nitrous on a dose of shrooms that barely had me tripping and my vision got sucked up into my brain some how and all i could see was my friend who recommended me to try the combination was crammed in my head with all this yellow light shining through with dirt every where. it was super weird... i only trid that on shrooms once. i should've done it more, but i never really remembered. i did it on about one of the smaller bottles of cough syrup one time and i lost touch with reality, all i could see was the color red and like salvia i was kind of unaware of my life for a while.

i'd definitely recommend nitrous on lower dose psychedelics, or salvia, or smoked dmt to a person before they try any heroic doses of longer lasting psychedelics. .. i'd say the nitrous on salvia is a little bit more casual than tripping on salvia if anyone that hasn't tried is wondering. i've never tried DMT. i hear people like it more than salvia, but it lasts a little longer in reality.

i was just thinking about this the other night after smoking salvia recently. i felt like aliens or spirits or something, i guess it could just be mind, was playing a prank on me. like i'd wake up and reality was some kind of joke or something. while tripping i was totally unaware of what reality was, but i knew i was going to wake up and be born in a different place or something.

i tried a whip cream can of nitrous on a dose of shrooms that barely had me tripping and my vision got sucked up into my brain some how and all i could see was my friend who recommended me to try the combination was crammed in my head with all this yellow light shining through with dirt every where. it was super weird... i only trid that on shrooms once. i should've done it more, but i never really remembered. i did it on about one of the smaller bottles of cough syrup one time and i lost touch with reality, all i could see was the color red and like salvia i was kind of unaware of my life for a while.

i'd definitely recommend nitrous on lower dose psychedelics, or salvia, or smoked dmt to a person before they try any heroic doses of longer lasting psychedelics. .. i'd say the nitrous on salvia is a little bit more casual than tripping on salvia if anyone that hasn't tried is wondering. i've never tried DMT. i hear people like it more than salvia, but it lasts a little longer in reality.
The other day I took a really strong shroom trip and had a great experience doing some nitrous with some weed on the comedown.

These were "chocolate shrooms" from Oakland, with me having no idea what the dosage was. It was 15 chocolate squares in the whole bar. I started with 6, then 3, then ate the remaining 6. From all the times I've taken 8ths of shrooms this felt like maybe 5-5.5 grams. Strong as hell. Overall a positive and rewarding experience but not without its difficult moments, which I tend to regard as also being positive for learning purposes. I definitely got an intense body load for a long time and had to lie on my side feeling sick. Wish I could get shrooms without the nausea, like 4-ACO-DMT, but I'm sketched out about buying RCs online.

I would say the shrooms had MOSTLY worn off but then I was smoking some Northern Lights I'd bought and it started to bring peaceful residual effects back again. I have felt that happen several times on the tail end of acid trips when I smoked weed on the comedown.

Then I took 2 balloons while listening to some music, and those balloons effectively ended the trip with a real "bang", some very profound positive recognitions about my life along with crazy closed eye visuals. Would have liked to try them when full blown tripping but I didn't feel like it at the time. Nitrous and or Salvia are both great with psychedelics, and they are also great together. I haven't used Salvia in years, but the one time I mixed it with weed and nitrous I got some crazy visuals.