View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic Reading List

Delsyd

Bluelight Crew
I got inspired by the Leary, Mckenna, Shulgin thread to start a Psychedelics reading list. I’m not much of a reader these days, I prefer the audio book, but I can still put down a book about my favorite subject: Drugs, and even more specifically, Psychedelics.

I’ll start with a short list of essential reading:

Pihkal and Tihkal by Alexander Shulgin.

LSD my problem child by Albert Hoffman.

Currently I’m reading a book called Heads: A biography of Psychedelic America by Jesse Jarnow. Its mostly fiction but mixes in factual events with the narrative. Here's a copy and paste of the description:

Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America uncovers a hidden history of the biggest psychedelic distribution and belief system the world has ever known. Through a collection of fast-paced interlocking narratives, it animates the tale of an alternate America and its wide-eyed citizens: the LSD-slinging graffiti writers of Central Park, the Dead-loving AI scientists of Stanford, utopian Whole Earth homesteaders, black market chemists, government-wanted Anonymous hackers, rogue explorers, East Village bluegrass pickers, spiritual seekers, Internet pioneers, entrepreneurs, pranksters, pioneering DJs, and a nation of Deadheads.

WFMU DJ and veteran music writer Jesse Jarnow draws on extensive new firsthand accounts from many never-before-interviewed subjects and a wealth of deep archival research to create a comic-book-colored and panoramic American landscape, taking readers for a guided tour of the hippie highway filled with lit-up explorers, peak trips, big busts, and scenic vistas, from Vermont to the Pacific Northwest, from the old world head capitals of San Francisco and New York to the geodesic dome-dotted valleys of Colorado and New Mexico. And with the psychedelic research moving into the mainstream for the first time in decades, Heads also recounts the story of the quiet entheogenic revolution that for years has been brewing resiliently in the Dead’s Technicolor shadow.

Featuring over four dozen images, many never before seen-including pop artist Keith Haring’s first publicly sold work-Heads weaves one of the 20th and 21st centuries’ most misunderstood subcultures into the fabric of the nation’s history. Written for anyone who wondered what happened to the heads after the Acid Tests, through the ’70s, during the Drug War, and on to the psychedelic present, Heads collects the essential history of how LSD, Deadheads, tie-dye, and the occasional bad trip have become familiar features of the American experience.

The next book on my reading list, I just got it a couple days ago is Operation White Rabbit: LSD, DEA and the fate of the Acid King.

It tells the story of William Leonard Pickard, something I’ve been fascinated with since it hit the news. And a story we’ve only heard bits and pieces of from the likes of Krystal Cole. I’m hoping the book fills in some gaps in the story.

Operation White Rabbit traces the rise and fall—and rise and fall again—of the psychedelic community through the life of the man known as the “Acid King:” William Leonard Pickard. Pickard was a legitimate genius, a follower of Timothy Leary, a con artist, a womanizer, and a believer that LSD would save lives. He was a foreign diplomat, a Harvard fellow, and the biggest producer of LSD on the planet—if you believe the DEA.

A narrative for fans of Michael Pollan’s How to Change Your Mind, Pickard’s personal story is set against a fascinating chronicle of the social history of psychedelic drugs from the 1950s on. From LSD distribution at UC Berkeley to travelling the world for the State Department, Pickard’s story is one of remarkable genius—that is, until a DEA sting named “Operation White Rabbit” captured him at an abandoned missile silo in Kansas. Pickard, the DEA said, was responsible for 90 percent of the world’s production of lysergic acid.

The DEA announced to the public that they found 91 pounds of LSD. In reality, the haul was seven ounces. They found none of the millions of dollars Pickard supposedly amassed, either. But nonetheless, he is now serving two consecutive life sentences without possibility of parole. Pickard has become acid’s best-known martyr in the process, continuing his advocacy and artistic pursuits from jail.

Pickard has successfully sued the US government because his requests for information on his case returned two blank DEA documents. But the appeals of his sentence have continually failed. The author visits him regularly in jail in an effort to find the truth.

Great thread idea. I mostly read epic fantasy, but will try to think about titles to add to this list.

Must have read almost every book about psychedelics available - always found the standard of writing pretty low. Hard to think of one i could recomend. Hoffmans problem child is ok but i found it disappointing how he just glosses over "i had a strange presentiment" - what does that mean exactly? In private he would be more open about it saying "lsd called out to me". Maybe the maria sabina biography but again - she sees shrooms as being part of her religion.

Think the best written one would be learys autobiography.

Books on ayahuasca are always really piss poor - either gullible people taken in by religious conmen or religious people claiming ayahuasca for their own shite religions. Same with all the buddhist\hindu arsewipes - its hard to avoid them co-opting psychedelics for their cause. I remember "buddhism and psychedelics" - all these pompous arseholes wearing shrouds going "because i have religious faith i dont need to trip anymore". Oh do fuck off. I think the best one was a buddhist arguing lsd was dangerous and the police should enforce prohibition.

Storming heaven wasnt bad but again all the "history of lsd" books tend to be histories of lsd prohibition - so you are reading what the police and politicians say about it. Same with the operation julie books - theres a really good story in there somewhere apart from the police investigation which is all they ever write about.

Must have read almost every book about psychedelics available - always found the standard of writing pretty low. Hard to think of one i could recomend. Hoffmans problem child is ok but i found it disappointing how he just glosses over "i had a strange presentiment" - what does that mean exactly? In private he would be more open about it saying "lsd called out to me". Maybe the maria sabina biography but again - she sees shrooms as being part of her religion.

Think the best written one would be learys autobiography.

Books on ayahuasca are always really piss poor - either gullible people taken in by religious conmen or religious people claiming ayahuasca for their own shite religions. Same with all the buddhist\hindu arsewipes - its hard to avoid them co-opting psychedelics for their cause. I remember "buddhism and psychedelics" - all these pompous arseholes wearing shrouds going "because i have religious faith i dont need to trip anymore". Oh do fuck off. I think the best one was a buddhist arguing lsd was dangerous and the police should enforce prohibition.

Storming heaven wasnt bad but again all the "history of lsd" books tend to be histories of lsd prohibition - so you are reading what the police and politicians say about it. Same with the operation julie books - theres a really good story in there somewhere apart from the police investigation which is all they ever write about.
What are your thoughts on Phikal/Thikal, the McKennas, Ram Dass, Tom Wolfe, grateful dead, acid tests, the merry pranksters, Carlos Castaneda, William Leonard Pickard's novel, Daniel Pinchbeck, chickenhawk NAMBLA supporter Allen Ginsberg. Ross Heaven from the UK, etc.?

I read the serpent and the rainbow, and it was intersting if dated but I did not understand the voodoo possession, Santeria cults, and zombie stuff? I found the parts of the book about the dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier/baby doc, the writings about waterfalls and flowers and non-psychoactive plants, and what life was like in Haiti under a dictatorship to be more interesting than the drugs. The voodoo/Santeria posession stuff was very strange or I wondered if it was an act or drama/play/dance and music with chicken sacrifices put on for tourists like they do with dances and drumming in Puerto Rico, New Orleans, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic?

I am not sure which plants besides Datura, the Haitians used to make the probably nasty tasting powder or beverage that supposedly makes someone into a zombie? Or what the appeal of doing this is?

Last edited:
"i had a strange presentiment" - what does that mean exactly?
To me it means....it’s 1943, I’m glad I’m riding a bicycle home from work and not say, a B52 Bomber....and oh, why we’re at it, what is this ridiculously pedantic English language I use which has been conditionally oppressed upon me to control, steer and limit the potential my own mind has for expression and realisation...

That’s what comes to my mind anyway. I agree, “presentiment” is far from doing justice, so limited we’re the imaginations prior to that point.

Reactions: SKL
To me it means....it’s 1943, I’m glad I’m riding a bicycle home from work and not say, a B52 Bomber....and oh, why we’re at it, what is this ridiculously pedantic English language I use which has been conditionally oppressed upon me to control, steer and limit the potential my own mind has for expression and realisation...

That’s what comes to my mind anyway. I agree, “presentiment” is far from doing justice, so limited we’re the imaginations prior to that point.
Heh, Hoffmann was Swiss German, and der Schweiz have their own dialects and words in German that are different than high German or standard German. But English is a Germanic language and Hoffmann was a scientist, not a poet.

Fentanyl or China white?
More like “COshit”. Add in the super advanced brain frequency 5G A.I. programmes and bodies, brains full of nanoparticles.

But yeah true, Albert no Englishman. Though I strongly imagine that exact term he chose was common language among all politically raised English physicians in that era.

What are your thoughts on Phikal/Thikal, the McKennas, Ram Dass, Tom Wolfe, grateful dead, acid tests, the merry pranksters, Carlos Castaneda, William Leonard Pickard's novel, Daniel Pinchbeck, chickenhawk NAMBLA supporter Allen Ginsberg. Ross Heaven from the UK, etc.?

I read the serpent and the rainbow, and it was intersting if dated but I did not understand the voodoo possession, Santeria cults, and zombie stuff? I found the parts of the book about the dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier/baby doc, the writings about waterfalls and flowers and non-psychoactive plants, and what life was like in Haiti under a dictatorship to be more interesting than the drugs. The voodoo/Santeria posession stuff was very strange or I wondered if it was an act or drama/play/dance and music with chicken sacrifices put on for tourists like they do with dances and drumming in Puerto Rico, New Orleans, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic?

I am not sure which plants besides Datura, the Haitians used to make the probably nasty tasting powder or beverage that supposedly makes someone into a zombie? Or what the appeal of doing this is?

Ginsberg- burroughs yage letters isnt bad, castenada was a conman, ram dass was a nice guy in some ways but used psychedelics to push his religion, pinchbeck wasnt bad but he wasnt experienced enough to write without regurgitating all the same old bullshine.

i suppose what id be interested in is a free thinker writing a book about psychedelics and nothing else - fuck manmade reigious comparisons and fuck the aliens bullshit too (if there are dmt aliens why dont they explain where they are? Why do they always just say stupid pathetic shit that belongs in a third rate love song?). Just a good writer who doesnt grovel to big religion or quote mckenna as fact.

Oh one good book - shroom by andy roberts(?)He explained that the drawing mckenna always uses - the man with mushrooms on him - isnt the actual drawing - its a representation drawn by mckennas wife. The real drawing could be anything. He says that apart from a few areas in mesoamerica pretty much all human mushroom use has taken place since 1970.

Nice one auto 😀

In private he said a lot of fascinating stuff "lsd chose me as its creator and called out to me". The book "mystic chemist" is another of my faves - big biog of hoffman with lots of pictures.

Presumably its a way for the witchdoctor to impress the rest by claiming mastery over death - then they will give the silly old fucker free food and a nice hut.

Not sure if it was mentioned but “DMT: The Spirit Molecule. Rick Strassman” is a good one. I remember finding in it one of those hippie rock/incense/what-have-you shops.

-GC

I liked the beginning of dmt spirit molecule but then it just turns into a series of trip reports and dodgy theories. And i think its polluted the water - now all anyone talks about when they mention dmt is fucking silly "aliens". Strassmans other book shows where his head is really at - something about "dmt and my silly fucking hebrew bible".

You MUST read anything by Mike Oxmells. And Issac Hunt. And his uncle mike..

Last edited:
Presumably its a way for the witchdoctor to impress the rest by claiming mastery over death - then they will give the silly old fucker free food and a nice hut.
This Haitian man claimed he was a zombie, somehow?

I liked the beginning of dmt spirit molecule but then it just turns into a series of trip reports and dodgy theories. And i think its polluted the water - now all anyone talks about when they mention dmt is fucking silly "aliens". Strassmans other book shows where his head is really at - something about "dmt and my silly fucking hebrew bible".
True, also people now parrot the theories from that book non-stop about the machine elves, aliens 👽, and praying mantis surgeons that somehow permanently alter their DNA while on DMT/Ayahuasca.

This is from the wiki page on Ayahuasca, what is 'purple medicine'?

Common admixtures with their associated ceremonial values and spirits:

Ayahuma[10] bark: Cannon Ball tree. Provides protection and is used in healing susto (soul loss from spiritual fright or trauma).
Capirona[10] bark: Provides cleansing, balance and protection. It is noted for its smooth bark, white flowers, and hard wood.
Chullachaki caspi[10] bark (Brysonima christianeae): Provides cleansing to the physical body. Used to transcend physical body ailments.
Lopuna blanca bark: Provides protection.
Punga amarilla bark: Yellow Punga. Provides protection. Used to pull or draw out negative spirits or energies.
Remo caspi[10] bark: Oar Tree. Used to move dense or dark energies.
Wyra (huaira) caspi[10] bark (Cedrelinga catanaeformis): Air Tree. Used to create purging, transcend gastro/intestinal ailments, calm the mind, and bring tranquility.
Shiwawaku bark: Brings purple medicine to the ceremony.
Uchu sanango: Head of the sanango plants.
Huacapurana: Giant tree of the Amazon with very hard bark
Bobinsana: Mermaid Spirit. Provides major heart chakra opening, healing of emotions and relationships.

Last edited:
Isnt claiming to be a zombie quite a popular thing in the carrabean? That james bond film live and let die had the guy in skeleton paint pretending to be a zombie so they would all be scared of him 😀

All the claims for different yage barks reminds me of flower remedies over here - its all just placebo "i was just about to tickle my balls...

Last edited:

Yea that’s a very fair point. I personally like the trip report section but I’m also someone that can read with an open mind and not someone that then went around spouting non-proven claims like “DMT is released at death” and what not..

While it definitely gave the new agers something to talk about, it also spurred conversations amongst normals that never have thought positively of psychedelics before.

For instance I had a very productive conversation with my conservative Catholic (played organ for the church) step mother about DMT, playing on the notion that near death experiences correlate a bit with DMT experiences. As well as encounters with Jesus and angels during trips. I myself have even seen Jesus during a trip, he actually saved me that experience.

It’s still all theory but nonetheless fun to discuss and brings people into the mix that have never considered psychedelics before.

-GC