View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic experience vs buddhism/hinduism etc

pyridinyl_30 - yes, yes , yes!

Re: Buddhism, Hinduism, Bhagavad-Gita, etc:

When I was 17, I started to really get into drugs, psychedelics being my main interest. I considered myself a Christian at that point. Right off the bat, I was having these utterly beautiful, soul-cleansing, ego-stripping, entheogenic total love trips, one after another after another, spaced anywhere from 1 day to 4 months apart. After one trip on LSD, my first trip ever, my spirit shifted lanes ever-so-subtly, very deep down, only a small alteration, but its reverberations outward and through my mind were strong! As time flew (and dragged, oh my) by, I began to revamp my world view...

I realized the oneness of the world. I found eternal love in all things. I understood an omnidirectional balance. I gained a much stronger empathic sense. I felt the all-supporting love, saw its all-pervading nature.

Now it is 2008 and I am twenty. Over the past year, I have discovered that several long-living and often ancient ideas and belief systems very eloquently describe the mess of peace and love tumbling around in my head and heart.

First, I found pantheism. Then panentheism and Taoism. Then Buddhism and Hinduism. I started reading books about them, and then their own sacred texts. I could NOT believe how unbelievably perfectly the philosophies of Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism fit my personal brain-mold. I had unwarily started on a path remarkably similar to that of these -isms, only to find that each had volumes and volumes of beautiful sacred texts, all of which, I feel, have so far aided in my quest for love and the Absolute.

The psychedelic experience opened a lock somewhere in my mind, allowing me to directly perceive the universe, I feel. As I had been tripping over a couple years, I had increasingly felt an undeniable yet incredibly subtle force flow through my soul, a force of love and connection, and now, because even having not tripped in a while, I still know the force, I feel it some times so strong that I almost must leave this society and live alone for as long as it takes so that I may let only this strong wind of truth guide me in my quest.

oh yeah,
The Bhagavad-Gita's setting is a war, yes, but it is only there as a background and set-up for Krishna to teach Arjuna of the nature of himself, many facets of the world, love, and how to live a life of love, of the eternal, a life lacking that which is mortal and will only perish and is thus does not bring one to the Absolute. It is a practical guide to a warrior's life, in which case warrior's life is a life of mindfulness/discrimination, compassion/love for the absolute self (and therefore all things), and good action (karma). If you read it without the narrative between Krishna and Arjuna, only taking the declarations of Krishna as, say, an essay, you'll definitely see the philosophy.

The Upanishads are also really, really amazing works. A quick read, too! (though a LONG think afterwards, hehehe)

<3

Gaian Planes said:
its a waking up experience, in japanese called satori (sudden enlightenment)

It can happen to a person in a psychedelic state of mind I suppose.

That happens to me all the time when I'm on psychedelics. How do I know if it's an enlightenment in the traditional sense? I think it's perfectly correct to describe any sensation of enlightenment as true enlightenment, really.

Its impossible to make generalizations about such diverse religious traditions. Lets take hinduism for instance: if you were to ask a Hare Krsna about a certain issue, you might get a radically different answer than if you asked a Sivate -- but they're both "Hindus". There are just too many sub-groups of these religions to make generalizations about them.

Roger&Me, yes, there are tons and tons of tiny subunits of each ism, all with varying beliefs. However, there are also a many concepts which are common to all, or at least very similar among different groups, like the Absolute Self, Atman, Brahman, and on and on. And Buddhism, at its metaphysical core, is oh-so-close to Hinduism. Variations in practicing Hindus' or Buddhists' philosophies are a result of their altering them for more practical use based on their individual/community needs.

The psychedelic-religious connection discussed in this thread has been mainly those ideas which span nearly all religions (enlightenment, omniconnection, impermanence of the material world, etc), but we have come to know as primarily Hindu/Buddhist/Taoist/whateverist thought.