• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Psychedelic Drugs] Medication Interactions Guide - you can be of service!

Solipsis

Bluelight Crew
Heya beautiful PD folks,

I know we have a medications interactions thread (here: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...cation-Supplement-Interaction-Thread-(Part-2) ) or several... but we all know digging through them can get confusing, you don't know what is trusted info verified by others, some people don't have the patience when they wanna decide ad hoc whether to take something.

So let's use those threads and external / other on-site info to piece together a guide. It's been done before but rather with a broad set-up covering a lot of drug classes. This one would be focused for psychedelics, but going deep by covering a lot more different medications.

As Xorkoth pointed out, one approach may be to simply list medications (I'd say in alphabetical order) and explaining what is known about interactions with typical psychedelics, and maybe a few atypical ones that have secondary pharmacological actions. I think it's a good and straight-forward approach.

The more common and the bigger the drug class (say SSRI's), the more we should try to say about it to inform users. The same goes for particularly dangerous, interesting or well-understood medication interactions.

I wonder about something else: there is a medications interactions checker that is a function of drugs.com ... might there be a medicine that is basically a 5-HT2a agonist (anti cluster headache meds?) that we can use to check against others and see if it makes sense substituting that for actual psychedelics? Could be an easy way to start / check or add info.

I'd like your support and contributions, please let's agree on a consistent format (we will soon decide on one, more on that in a minute), and provide info in that format, or alternatively: fill in gaps later if you find most excellent posts in the BL archives. Anecdotal evidence won't cut it, we'd like to see references before we start suggesting that people can safely combine drugs. Perhaps we should make a disclaimer to not use this guide until info is vetted?

Do you agree we should use categories like on drugs.com ?

like:
- no known interactions
- some general interaction (e.g. the drugs don't work on the same neurotransmitter systems, but there is an indirect interaction)
- moderate interaction (e.g. significant interaction but rather nasty than actually dangerous)
- dangerous interaction
(- potentially lethal)

We probably shouldn't make an insane list of medications, most of which would be irrelevant... but a smaller list should include some often used / often asked about medications even if there is no interaction with psychedelics.
If someone could help make / provide a list to start out from, that'd be great.

Medication Interactions Guide *DRAFT*

<in progress>

CONTRAINDICATION:

my initial suggestion for a KEY
1) no known interactions
2) some general interaction (e.g. the drugs don't work on the same neurotransmitter systems, but there is an indirect interaction)
3) moderate interaction (e.g. significant interaction but rather nasty than actually dangerous)
4) dangerous interaction
5) potentially lethal

improvement

1: safe - no interaction of any kind
2: safe (safety dose-dependent) - potentiation possible {of medication, of psychedelic, or both?}

tripsits key:

BASIC FORMAT:

name medication (class / category / relevant brief description of drug type)

Last edited:
KEY
1) no known interactions
2) some general interaction (e.g. the drugs don't work on the same neurotransmitter systems, but there is an indirect interaction)
3) moderate interaction (e.g. significant interaction but rather nasty than actually dangerous)
4) dangerous interaction
5) potentially lethal

chart.gif

*This information is from my personal experiences. Blank indicates unknown.

Solipsis said:
I wonder about something else: there is a medications interactions checker that is a function of drugs.com ... might there be a medicine that is basically a 5-HT2a agonist (anti cluster headache meds?) that we can use to check against others and see if it makes sense substituting that for actual psychedelics? Could be an easy way to start / check or add info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabergoline Ki 6.17 nM @ 5HT2a
This could be unpredictable. As an example LSD has lower dissociation constants at receptors other than 5ht2a.

If you really want to go about getting this set up as quickly as possible, or at least laying down the roots, then it would seem to me that the first thing to do would be to use this chart: http://wiki.tripsit.me/wiki/Drug_combinations as a base.

Go through it, and any of the interactions that you know enough about to classify into your categories, do so. Next, make a list of all the other combinations with interactions that you don't know a lot about. Using that list, perform some serious google-fu searching every combination, reading everything you can from actual sites, wikis, forums, etc. until you can classify them all.

Then proceed with what was not already covered.

Last edited: