• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Psilocybin mushroom strain and effects

Do specific psilocybin strains produce different affect/effects other than those related to potency?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
I'm seeing more discussion over psilocybin strains and effects. What difference in affects and effects if any do you feel individual strains have or don't?

Well the first time I did shrooms I don't know specifically what strain it was, but I only ate half an eighth and I tripped really hard for 3 hours, had full blown visuals and everything. I was seeing colors, patterns, shapes, shadows, geometric designs on the walls , the floor in the bathroom was rippling and moving, and everything I thought about I was able to vividly see in my minds eye. Strong body high too .

Then years later I had Golden Teachers and it was different, It gave me a very intense body high, mental mindfuck, and emotional trip. But the visuals weren't that strong, so I would definitely say different strains have different effects

They definitely vary a lot. I've often given anywhere from 5-8 different people the same mushrooms from the same harvest of the same genetics and had wicked anomalously similar reports back over time. The total collection of characteristics that mushrooms can have seems much more broad than cannabis. Sometimes I've have mushrooms that constantly made people feel like they were about to go fucking crazy, others that were simply party fuel with MDMA -like body feel and beautiful visuals, others that were genuinely haunted. Sometimes they're just mushrooms on some H.P.Lovecraft shit.

The bigger difference comes when you step outside of just Psilocybe cubensis, it seems, though cubes still vary a good amount imo.

I’ve tried b+, golden teachers, McKennas and blue meanies (not pan cyans). I couldn’t vouch for any meaningful differences between them. Sure my trips have varied between batches but they’ve also varied within the same batch.

I’m inclined to agree with the ‘a cube is a cube’ gang. Set and setting could easily account for the differences people feel between ’strains’ and once that expectation has been established its going to be a lot easier to replicate it.

I’m no connoisseur mind you. I probably have less than a dozen mushroom trips under my belt.

Slightly off topic, but while I haven’t been able to distinguish between different varieties of cubensis, I am reasonably confident I could consistently tell 4-AcO-DMT apart from actual mushrooms in a blind test (I also much prefer it).

I have limited experience with shrooms but still tasted them from small to very heavy dose. I might convince myself that truffles I had in NL are different than other shrooms I tried, and they were even sold to me as having such and such effect but ofc they didn’t. They did kind of feel a bit different but I think that’s due to consistency of truffles compared to regular shrooms.

Every dose of LSD feels like a different drug and so does every dose of mushrooms. Add difference in speed of absorption and it’s even more diverse. Also I feel mushrooms trip might be even more influenced by set and setting.

I am 99% sure I would figure out 4-aco-DMT from shrooms in a blind test. But would I figure it out from pure psilocin? Who know, still need to try that. I too MUCH prefer 4-aco-DMT.

Also some mushrooms have more active alkaloids and for those I believe they have trip with unique flavour. All else is pretty much bs and marketing.

Lately I been getting back into mush a bit cuz I met some people super into them. I was talking with one guy and telling him how most mushrooms make me sedated. He gave me some of a strain (Cambodians?) that he said had more stimulation and by god he was right. I took a micro/low dose before bed which will usually help me sleep, and couldn’t sleep all night.

I’ve definitely noticed differences between species, but I’d say I’m on the fence regarding cubes still. I need more experience. Most my mushroom trips were as a teen.

-GC

Lately I been getting back into mush a bit cuz I met some people super into them. I was talking with one guy and telling him how most mushrooms make me sedated. He gave me some of a strain (Cambodians?) that he said had more stimulation and by god he was right. I took a micro/low dose before bed which will usually help me sleep, and couldn’t sleep all night.

I’ve definitely noticed differences between species, but I’d say I’m on the fence regarding cubes still. I need more experience. Most my mushroom trips were as a teen.

-GC
Yeah I've heard Cambodian Cubes are stimulating. When I did Golden Teachers I got a very nice body high from them similar to the body high from MDMA but stronger and in a natural way

Yeah I've heard Cambodian Cubes are stimulating. When I did Golden Teachers I got a very nice body high from them similar to the body high from MDMA but stronger and in a natural way
The other day I ate 100 mgs of golden teachers and 100 mgs of what I'm pretty sure we're can cubes and was totally blown away by the day I had. I had tons of energy, was way more outgoing than I normally am( even hit and flirted on some cute girls when normally I probably wouldn't) and everything just seemed to flow perfectly, like my chakras were all spinning or something. Idk it was an awesome day. I could write a small book about that day lol

I have noticed major differences between indoor strain grown cubes and woodlovers in the wild,

But i also have noticed major different effects and trips within the same species and batches. I believe the mushroom trip is so incredibly varied but some strains are def different in ways.

Some last longer and take longer to kick in, due to the differences in psilocin,

It also acutally differs if u only only consume stems vs caps,

psilocybin is far more varied in its effects than acid.

I believe alot of it could be due to set & setting,

I have had woodlovers paralyze me and and the same species have me walking for miles on a massive adventure.

The body high I can get varies from trip to trip, but honestly on diff species have experinced that same MDMA great body high of bliss, its just a varied effect from the psilocybin.

I usually get the body high all the time on shrooms, esp if i smoke weed on it.

-GC
Interesting. I used to assume the only difference was potency, but perhaps the presence of difference amounts of entourage alkaloids changes the experience.

i assume you also mean different species and genera... yes, for sure yes.

from what i remember, psilocybe ovoideocystidiata had a crazy set of fx. cubies, too... really mess with the head. but ovoids did in a different way.

like the vault in fallout 3 where they had pumped hallucinogenic gas through the vents, you'd chase an apparition around a corner... trippy af, ovoids kinda did that. corner of the eye, ppl hiding and shit... chasing vapors. made me crave wood... like, permanently (like when i smell decaying wood, i wanna eat it... until i remember i can't).

ovoids had glowy, sparkly, rainbow edge visuals rather than anything bendy or patterny. the visuals and the bodyload really meshed (like the visuals extended into the body, and the sensations changed as the visuals changed). when i took a lot, my mind kinda went haywire and my thoughts were chaotic and a mile-per-second... really made me feel crazy. but not scary.

cubies fucked with my head in bad, anxiety- inducing ways. not a fan. but i've only had a couple different strains. made me feel crazy in the worst way. good, warpy visuals though (trees dancing, faces in the clouds, ppl in the stone walls and tree bark)

i haven't had enough gyms to really characterize them, but their scent (gymnopilus junonius) is to die for! reminds me of that ghetto pink soap from school with the fake almond scent... but more exotic, spicy and tantillizing. when i've had a trip, it was gentle but emphasized my cynical side.

panaeolus cinctulus and panaeolopsis seem similar, but i also had a couple trips where i mixed them. jovial, fun, funny, i really like them. maybe the best. lay in the field and have a gentle ponder about life kinda stuff.

ALL shroomies tend toward the forced therapy. by the end of a decently strong trip, i'm ready to quit drugs and get my shit together (one day i'll effect it lol)

Last edited:
Yes, not just between strains but also for the same genetics grown in different conditions.