• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pseudoephedrine Scheduling Changes

The new systems actually make it easier for a legitimate purchaser to obtain Pseudoephedrine. Now pharmacists can check to see when someone has last had it over a single database. If they are purchasing it frequently, then they will be refused the sale and told to see a doctor. This goes for any medication. OTC preparations are for short term use. Any chronic condition should be referred to a doctor.

As for Pharmacists getting involved in the sale and asking the questions, that is a legal requirement. It is now classified as Pharmacist Only Medication, which means we have to counsel you on the use and make sure that it is the correct treatment to undertake. Pseudoephedrine is contraindicated with many medications and can be quite fatal. We don't want to just hand it over and then end up being investigated, sued or loose our registration. It's very easy for 5 years at uni to go down the toilet very quickly.

I agree that Pseudoephedrine is far superior to Phenylephrine, and will even recommend it over the latter in the right situation. However I think for nasal congestion, its pretty had to beat a nasal spray for duration and speed of action. Hayfever on the other hand is totally different, and pseudoephedrine will not actually do anything for it, nothing for the drip and little for the congestion. That is when you need and antihistamine to counter the reaction and stop the drip, the sneezing and itchy watery eyes/nose/throat (caused by histamine).

I know of some chemists that still use a book.
I have bad hayfever and pseudo does help btw. It helps clear the nose. Sometimes I cannot sleep because my mouth is so dry to keep open, and there is not a tiny pin hole of unblocked nostril so I cannot breathe through that.

Yes pseudoephedrine will work for congestion like that, but to treat the real cause you'd need an antihistamine as well. I see you mentioned Demazin, which is the perfect product to use at night for that as it has the antihistamine as well, which will hopefully counter the stimulant effects of the pseudoephedrine and treat the underlying cause of the congestion

Pharmacy break-ins blamed on ice epidemic
February 26, 2007 - 6:46AM

Pharmacists have called for a ban on the sale of pseudoephedrine products following a dramatic increase in break-ins and ram-raids believed to be associated with the "ice" epidemic.

Pseudoephedrine - found in cold and flu treatments - can be used to manufacture methamphetamines like ice.

Pharmacists have reported an increased number of break-ins and drug-related crimes that they blame on drug manufacturers looking for ingredients.

The pharmacists' division of the Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia (APESMA) has called for the immediate withdrawal of products containing pseudoephedrine from pharmacy shelves.

"Obviously, we are concerned for the safety of our members, staff and the public," APESMA spokesman Paul Gysslink said in a statement.

"Pharmacists are being targeted as a source of ingredients for illicit drug manufacturing - this is causing stress and anxiety to our members.

"We want to see the needs of legitimate consumers being met, but we also have to reduce the risk to pharmacists. No one should have to face the trauma of ram-raids and robberies.

"The potential risks to the public and pharmacy staff are too great not to act."

Some states have introduced codes of practice to restrict pseudoephedrine sales to legitimate customers, but those measures have not reduced the incidence of related crime, APESMA says.

Other products such as phenylephrine can be used in place of pseudoephedrine.

The Age

I know of several NSW chemists that can sell you pseudo containing products within seconds, no ID, no book, no computer... so the laws haven't changed in NSW yet? It is up to the chemist?

Split over drug raid risk
JANE BUNCE
February 27, 2007 12:15am

THE targeting of pharmacies by criminals seeking pseudoephedrine to make illegal drugs does not justify the banning of the medicine, a national pharmacists' body says.

Two pharmacists' professional groups were yesterday divided over claims that pharmacies are at increased risk of break-ins and ram raids associated with the so-called "ice epidemic".

Pseudoephedrine - found in cold and flu treatments - can be used to make methamphetamines such as ice.

Police figures show in the past three months there were 27 South Australian pharmacy break-ins in which pseudoephedrine was targeted. At 3am yesterday, thieves used a four-wheel-drive to ram-raid a Port Adelaide pharmacy to steal cold and flu tablets.

The pharmacists' division of the Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia, which made the claim, has called for the immediate withdrawal of pseudoephedrine products from pharmacy shelves.

"We are concerned for the safety of our members, staff and the public," APESMA spokesman Paul Gysslink said. "Pharmacists are being targeted as a source of ingredients for illicit drug manufacturing.

"This is causing stress and anxiety to our members."

But a major professional body representing pharmacists said it did not support a blanket ban on pseudoephedrine products as it would deprive legitimate consumers of a safe, effective remedy for the common cold.

The Pharmaceutical Society of Australia said the safety of pharmacy workers was important, but it disputed claims that staff were at an increased risk.

National president Brian Grogan said it had not seen any concrete evidence of an increase in personal violence or threats against pharmacy staff being pressured into supplying pseudoephedrine.

The Advertiser

Chemist shops raided
JOANNA VAUGHAN
March 28, 2007 02:30pm

MEDICATION commonly used to make illegal drugs was stolen when three different chemist shops were raided early this morning.

Thieves who were allegedly searching for pseudoephedrine medication, which can be used to make methamphetamines such as speed and ice, broke into the shops across metropolitan area.

A sledge hammer was used to smash the door of a store on Lower North East Rd in Campbell town about 1.45am. The shop was searched, but nothing was taken.

Thieves then raided a place on Belair Rd in Lower Mitcham about 3.20am, but nothing was taken.

A quantity of the drug was then stolen from a store in the Burnside Village in Glenside when the front door was smashed about 3.30am.

The Advertiser

If you read the QLD police Website's "Current Media Releases daily. You will often find there is a pharmacy break and enter every few days. Along with sometimes horrific stuff to medicore normal stuff to downright hilarious. NSW also updates their media releases but doesn't keep them viewable after a few days.

ID needed to buy flu medicine
By Susanna Dunkerley
April 02, 2007 05:04pm

0,,5436438,00.jpg

Cough drops ... cold and flu remedies containing pseudoephedrine / File

PEOPLE buying cold and flu medicines will have to show photo ID under a new plan to reduce the use of such products in the manufacture of illicit drugs.

The federal Government and Pharmacy Guild of Australia (PGA) today launched Project STOP, a national database to record sales and the identification of people purchasing pseudoephedrine-based medicines.

Pseudoephedrine is a precursor ingredient in methamphetamines, psycho-stimulant drugs known commonly as ice and crystal meth.

Project STOP, already trialled in Queensland, will give police and health care agencies access to information collected from pharmacy sales of the drug.

National PGA president Kos Sclavos said a nationwide database would make it almost impossible for `pseudo-runners', people who travel between pharmacies sourcing pseudoephedrine, to make illicit drugs.

"Project STOP has been working well in Queensland but the system will be much more effective now that it covers the whole country," Mr Sclavos said.

"Criminals are not hindered by borders and now neither are community pharmacists," he said.

Although there have been some concerns over consumer privacy Mr Sclavos was confident people would not mind showing identification when purchasing pseudoephedrine-based medicines.

The pharmacists' division of the Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia (APESMA) has called for a complete ban of pseudoephedrine-based medicines in pharmacies.

APESMA spokesman Paul Gyfflink said Project STOP could potentially increase the number of ram-raids on pharmacies.

"There are some benefits in the program. It should reduce the supplies of pseudoephedrine for illicit purposes. However, pharmacists are still potentially at risk, because pharmacies will still stock the products," Mr Gyfflink said.

"That's going to make those pharmacies potential risks for robberies and break-ins. "

News.com.au

Splatt said:
I know of several NSW chemists that can sell you pseudo containing products within seconds, no ID, no book, no computer... so the laws haven't changed in NSW yet? It is up to the chemist?

Nope, they're all legally obliged, some are just lazy.

PEOPLE buying cold and flu medicines will have to show photo ID under a new plan to reduce the use of such products in the manufacture of illicit drugs.
Didn't pseudo watch do this already? This STOP initiative seems pretty draconian to me. Millions of Australians every year need these medications to treat colds, now they are all going to be subjected to what is effectively government profiling. This "meth epidemic" hysteria is getting a bit out of hand.. Were there once days when a initiative like this would have caused a public uproar because of government interference in the lives of private individuals. Fuck! So angry... i feel like ram-raiding something... seems to be the only way to escape the database

I don't really care about the changes. I very much doubt much meth is derivied from sudafed anyway. The Meth will still be everywhere and when I needed psudo for a cold I had the other week I had no problem buying it.

A ban is wrong though.

Cold, flu drugs may be banned in crackdown
Cath Hart
April 16, 2007

PRODUCTS that contain pseudoephedrine could be banned from sale under a federal government plan to stop the illicit production of highly addictive methamphetamines, such as ice.

The move would have an impact on the sale of almost 50 cold and flu treatments but could be a potent weapon in the fight against the ice epidemic, which has seen methamphetamine use soar.

Federal Ageing Minister Christopher Pyne revealed yesterday that a national working group of health and law-enforcement officials was examining the viability of the blanket ban. Mr Pyne described the proposal as a major departure from current practice but said the Government was willing to consider the change as part of its war on illicit drugs.

"I have initiated the request asking for a piece of advice on whether we could, or whether we should, ban pseudoephedrine," he said.

"It would present major issues but we'd need to weigh up as government policy the disadvantages and advantages of it."

Up to 90 per cent of the pseudoephedrine used in clandestine drug labs is estimated to have been diverted from community pharmacies.

Pseudoephedrine is the main ingredient of methamphetamines, including the highly addictive ice or crystal, which causes psychosis, heart problems, hallucinations and violent rages.

Almost 1.5 million Australians have used methamphetamines, including more than one in five people in their 20s, according to figures released last week by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.

"Ice is obviously a major community concern as are other synthetic drugs and this has the advantage of, in one fell swoop, removing the ingredients that are the basis of synthetic drugs," Mr Pyne said.

"Obviously the major disadvantage would be that some people are reliant on certain drugs that have a pseudoephedrine base for relief of colds and flus. So we have to weigh up whether the benefits outweigh the costs."

Mr Pyne said no decision had been made but he signalled that a transition period would be introduced if the scheme went ahead.

The ice epidemic has steadily grown into a political issue as both major parties tout their tough-on-drugs credentials in the lead-up to the election, expected in October or November.

In his weekly column, John Howard said yesterday ice addicts were a danger to themselves and the community, and would pose future problems for the nation's health system as they succumbed to the long-term effects of use.

The Prime Minister said the Government's zero-tolerance attitude towards drug use had led to a drop in the number of heroin-related deaths and was "crucial in our efforts to tackle the scourge of ice".

Federal Labor leader Kevin Rudd revealed plans yesterday to ban the importation of pipes used to ingest the drug and the sale of pseudoephedrine products to minors and over the internet.

Restrictions on the over-the-counter sale of pseudoephedrine products were introduced in Australia last year but some chemists - including the pharmacy division of the Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia - have called for a total ban after reporting an increase in ram raids and break-ins linked to the theft of pseudoephedrine products. The Pharmacy Society of Australia opposed the call for a ban.

Cold and flu treatments containing pseudoephedrine in Australia include some formulations of Actifed, Codral, Clarinase, Demazin, Dimetapp Lemsip, Logicin, Nurofen Cold and Flu, Nyal, Orthoxicol, Otrivin, Panadol, Sinease, Sinutab, Sudafed, Telfast, Tylenol, Zyrtec and Chemists Own products.

Some companies, aware of the problems associated with pseudoephedrine, have released products such as Pfizer's Sudafed PE, which replace pseudoephedrine with phenylephrine.

The Australian

If they ban it, I'm using IV meth to stop my running nose and sneezing. Is that what they want? More IMPORTED potent ice/meth ?

Either way I suffer from hayfever real badly and need the shit. so they can suck my fucking balls.

I think Christopher Pyne needs to find a new dealer if what he says in the last paragraph is true. :)

Govt considers banning pseudoephedrine products
April 16, 2007

r71676_199535.jpg

The federal Minister for Ageing, Christopher Pyne, has confirmed that the Government is considering banning pharmaceutical products that contain pseudoephedrine.

Pseudoephedrine is used in cold and flu medicines but is also used in the manufacture of illegal methamphetamines.

Mr Pyne says while there are more than 280 products that contain pseudoephedrine, alternatives are available.

He says he sought advice three weeks ago to see if a ban would be workable.

"We have to decide whether the advantages of doing that outweigh the disadvantages or not," he said.

"So I've asked the National Working Group on Precursor Chemicals to give me a piece of advice on whether they think it could be done and whether it should be done."

Mr Pyne says a ban would significantly disrupt the illegal drug trade.

"In the battle against drugs we need to consider all policy options available," he said.

"The banning of pseudoephedrine has the great advantage of in one fell swoop, wiping out the basic ingredient of ecstasy and other methamphetimines and synthetic drugs, and ice."

ABC Online

Pharmacists sniff at cold drug call
Adam Cresswell
April 17, 2007

BANNING pseudoephedrine may help strangle the supply of party drugs, but experts say cold and flu remedies will be less effective as a result.

Many drug-makers have already increased production of the main alternative to pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, as the restrictions on pseudoephedrine take effect.

Products that contain phenylephrine already account for more than 50 per cent of the cold-remedy market. Brands that have switched include Codral and Sudafed PE.

Phenylephrine was first approved for use 30 years ago. It was later eclipsed by pseudoephedrine because the latter works much better and is easier to make and store.

Some studies have even suggested phenylephrine is no more effective than a placebo, the dummy pills used in clinical trials.

Pseudoephedrine rapidly relieves nasal congestion. Alternatives vary with the cause of the congestion.

The Pharmacy Guild's South Australian president Ian Todd said phenylephrine was "reasonably successful", but for many patients pseudoephedrine would remain the best option.

"Phenylephrine is a reasonable first-line treatment, but pseudoephedrine is a better product and should be reserved for people with genuine need," he said.

The Australian

Greetings from the USA

The bitch of it is, it's more of an inconvenience to cold sufferers than it is to meth cooks.

Here in the US, they limit purchases to 9 g a month. You would have to have one hell of a case of the sniffles to eat that much. And, there's no central database they report to. It's on the user to track their own purchases. It's a joke.

But if you have a cold, they make you show ID, sign a book, blah, blah, blah. On top of having a cold, they put you through that.

^^^

We have a trial system in place that does have a database of pseduo purchases shared among pharamcists with plans to roll it out nationwide.

Ice crackdown could create sickie epidemic
April 17, 2007 - 11:52AM

Australians would take more sick days if the government banned cold and flu tablets in a bid to stop the medicine being used to manufacture the drug ice, doctors say.

The government has asked health and law enforcement officials to examine the implications of a blanket ban on the sale of products that contain pseudoephedrine, which includes cold and flu tablets.

Pseudoephedrine can be used to make methamphetamines such as ice and crystal meth.

But Australian Medical Association president Dr Mukesh Haikerwal said he doubted the ban would stop the ice epidemic as drug makers would source pseudoephedrine from elsewhere.

Dr Haikerwal said the vast majority of Australians used the cold and flu tablets correctly.

"People just maybe take a day or two off work rather than a week off work," he told ABC Radio.

"It means they are able to perform at work because they are free of symptoms.

"And it is probably a bit severe to take it completely off unless it actually is shown clearly that it will stop the ice epidemic. And somehow I have my doubts."

Dr Haikerwal said the government was taking the right approach by asking an expert committee to examine evidence about the effects of a ban.

"I think we need to see if there are other ways to skin the cat," he said.

"But ultimately, if there is a need for a ban, I think if we have the evidence to hand that supports it, that should be the way to go."

A less severe approach would be making the drugs prescription-only, Dr Haikerwal said.

Members of the National Working Group on Precursor Chemicals - which include state and federal police, health departments, attorneys-general, pharmaceutical companies and pharmacists - are examining the implications of ban.

Federal Ageing Minister Christopher Pyne wrote to the group members last week and yesterday said he was waiting for their response before making a decision.

The plan comes after a report last week found about 100,000 Australians used methamphetamines such as ice or speed in a typical week and more than 500,000 had used the drugs in the past year.

The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre estimates there are about 73,000 dependent methamphetamine users in Australia.

The AGE