• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PS3: How does it rate, will Sony stay ahead in the console war?

yoker

Bluelighter
The playstation 3 has only been released in the last few days in Ireland. The release has seen the same crazy demand that has been seen elsewhere for the limited launch stock. For those who own one, how do you rate it and do you think sony will hang onto or gain its share in the console market. Mistakes in this market have shown to be devasting before as Sega have shown and one bad generation of console is enough to break customer confidance. What way do you think the console war is panning out, based on the big three's respective console's at the moment?

I bought one and all though it is a lot of fun I think it is overpriced. They market it as a multi-media machine but I find it lacking in the formats that it is compatible with. Graphics wise it is completely amazing if you have a HDTV, otherwise it is not overly impressive. Their are some decent games out right now but I am still waiting for something truly amazing. If you have the money and want one go for it, but in my opinion if it is going to be a stretch to afford it will not be worth it.

Still waiting for good games to come out..

What do you guys think about the "Home" idea that will be free for all PS3 online users?

I am a PS2 fanatic, but the PS3 so far is nothing but a dissapointment :(. For now, I'm skipping on this one, and if I ever do buy a new console, it will likely be the Wii. Or whichever console the FFXII crew are working on (not square in general, btw).

Played on my friends PS3 on Friday, they bought Resistance which I was more impressed with than I thought I'd be not being a fan of FPS's. It reminded me of Gears but it's set in York which makes it much cooler. The demo of Motorstorm is really nice, something I'd definitely play more of.

I was disapointed in how the controller still looks the same. I wasn't a fan of the banana shaped concept design but does it still have to look the same?! The only thing different - apart from the lack of cable, obviously - are the L2/R2 triggers; they sort of go down in a curve when you press them, it's weird to get used to.

Wouldn't buy the console myself, it has nothing on it I want. I've bought their PS2 off them so I've got a mountain of back catalogue to catch up on there.

Not sure about the Home idea, it might be one of those things where I think it sounds cool in theory but in practise never use.

what is home?

i'll only consider a ps3 when the price comes down and gta4 is about to be released

GTA4?

Try FFXIII.

FF's X and XII are really the only reason I got a PS2...so it looks like I won't be getting one until FFXIII finally comes out.

Although I am seriously looking forward to GTA4. If their previous games are any indication, this one promises to make me blow my load waiting in line for it.

It's all about the games. The most powerful console has never been a winner in any generation to date. Sony's made a very powerful machine but it's very hard to develop for, and they're being a bit stuck up about it. This doesn't bode well for them. See: Saturn, N64, Neo Geo, 3DO

L2R said:
what is home?

i'll only consider a ps3 when the price comes down and gta4 is about to be released

That lovely trailer is coming soon. I'll end up taking out a student loan to buy a ps3 when gta4 comes out %)

It's pointless getting these consoles until there's some decent games to play on them, why do people buy them straight away? That's just setting yourself up for dissapointment after you realise there's not really enough good games to play on it.

I'd have bought the wii straight away, it definitely had enough games for me, after all, how many games do you need on launch day?

Home is going to be some kind of online world on the PS3 where your account has a character with it's own room you can customise. You can go out into the world and communicate with other people. That's from the top of my head without looking it up.

Apart from saying I don't think Sony are ahead in the war anyway I can't make any prediction on what will happen. Who cares really anyway? Too many people talk out of their arse, just play the games and don't try and sound like you know what you're talking about.

Sorry for blabber. GBL.

^ Its not the number of games but the quality.

Well exactly, that's why I said how many do you need there to be straight away. I'd only want a couple of games at launch or I wouldn't get the best out of them.

I was a die-hard fan of the PS2 and I disliked xbox but I'm so glad I got the 360. With so many good games coming out exclusively for 360 plus Microsoft is supposedly licensing some games from Square-Enix. It doesn't look good for the PS3.

I really wish I could afford the 360, seems to be a lot of good games coming out on it at the moment.

Stainboy whats the point of being on a forum if your not gona discuss things. If you think someones talkin out their arse point it out. I was also askin from the point of view that a bad performance by the PS3 could seriously effect the Sony company overall, who were ahead as far as making profit in the market was concered. I wasnt just talking about who had the best games but wondering what would happen in an increasingly more important economic market.

SmC said:
I really wish I could afford the 360, seems to be a lot of good games coming out on it at the moment.

Lost Planet, Gears of War, Crackdown.....the list goes on. Can anyone name some good PS3 exclusive titles? Because I certainly can't think of any. I believe there is a possibility that Final Fantasy XIII might be going multi-platform.

gta
with online play
how many whores
did you kill today?

this could be so fuckin awesome

I play San Andreas online. San andreas multiplayer is a mod and it's good for a while but get's boring. The RPG servers are good because you get jobs like the real world, there are some good scripters who start good servers but the developers at Rockstar could do a much better job.