• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Propofol (Diprivan)

I had this with fentanyl for oral surgery. They administered both in one shot (I think) in the big vein in my hand. I recall fighting it as hard as I could but I was out within 15-20 seconds. After I came to, it felt better than any nod or lean I've had in my 3 year history of opiate abuse; and this was 2 years before I started doing op'es.

I'm sure pentobarb is as much fun, not sure about more though; the pharmacokinetics make me think they're probably equal.

no way to know without trying though!!

negrogesic said:
^^^What is this guy talking about? a-Methylfentanyl was never used in medicine, in fact, it is a C-I drug and has never seen its way into a hospital. Also, unless significant surgery was involved, it is somewhat unlikely they would use fentanyl or a fentanyl derivative. For whatever reason, I don't think they gave you propofol, "AMF" and on top of that, some sevo/desflurane...

Jesus...

Also, for most people, propofol doesnt hurt that much when injected. And in my experience, the euphoria was not that great when waking, although it was barb like. IV pentobarb seemed like alot more fun, but I never self-administered propofol in low dosages...

OK, perhaps I got mixed up with the fentanyl analog (AMF is China White, correct?) Anyway, it was a fentanyl analog and the dose was 2.5mg I believe, it came from a vial. I had the surgery done at the ear and eye hospital, besides me mixing up the fentanyl analog, which part is there to doubt?
And can someone correct me on what fenanyl analog I did have>?
NOTE it was Alfentanil, so you can see where I screwed up

Last edited:
sunset117 said:
even tho thus stuff I dont feel has any recreactional value, it is becoming the most widely abused drug by anesthesiologists, despite not being an opiates and providing no euphoria and isnt controlled. I read it in my dads anesthesia magazine; guess they like to check the fuck out after a rough day or something...also popular maybe cuz it lasts like 15, similar to fent in length

probably abused as in means to commit suicide and they just think its od's because they would say that even if someone injected rat's poison , anesthesiologists have the highest suicide rate of any profession which is not very suprizing conisdering what they have at their disposition

johanneschimpo said:
^ Thats the point. It puts you under fast. As gethigh said above, unless you get surgery every day, don't worry about it.
thank for agreeing with me. thats what i plan on being is an anesthesiologist 2 years of residency after 1 year of general surgery which once im done with residency ill be able to sit down monitor vitals admin drugs etc etc. hopefully it wont hurt much as i have pain just sitting down im sure i can get a comfortable chair as i talked to the head of anesthesiology at barnes and he said if i make it, and the convo i had with him he said i could do decent on the mcats just from the research i done online and encylopedia brittanica (sp?) i dont know where it is know bc i jusr moved. the only hard part will be the residency which will be 3 days straight in the icu monitoring patients and the nicu etc...which will be hell but you gotta work hard to pull in 360k average a year.

BingeBoy said:
probably abused as in means to commit suicide and they just think its od's because they would say that even if someone injected rat's poison , anesthesiologists have the highest suicide rate of any profession which is not very suprizing conisdering what they have at their disposition

source? from what i understand, suicide rate by profession is extremely hard to calculate. read this article: http://www.apa.org/monitor/jan01/suicide.html

gethigh said:
thank for agreeing with me. thats what i plan on being is an anesthesiologist 2 years of residency after 1 year of general surgery which once im done with residency ill be able to sit down monitor vitals admin drugs etc etc. hopefully it wont hurt much as i have pain just sitting down im sure i can get a comfortable chair as i talked to the head of anesthesiology at barnes and he said if i make it, and the convo i had with him he said i could do decent on the mcats just from the research i done online and encylopedia brittanica (sp?) i dont know where it is know bc i jusr moved. the only hard part will be the residency which will be 3 days straight in the icu monitoring patients and the nicu etc...which will be hell but you gotta work hard to pull in 360k average a year.

This is way off topic but......

Please, please, please, for your sake, work in a hospital before going to med school. I wanted to go to med school to. Then I worked in a hospital for 40hrs a week for 3 months. I don't want to be a doctor anymore.

You know, most of the docs I've talked to have told me that if they had done it again they would have chosen a different career.

Virtuoso said:

Please, please, please, for your sake, work in a hospital before going to med school. I wanted to go to med school to. Then I worked in a hospital for 40hrs a week for 3 months. I don't want to be a doctor anymore.

You know, most of the docs I've talked to have told me that if they had done it again they would have chosen a different career.

reminds me of my uncle who is a former doctor. he says he still has nightmares about his days of practicing medicine.

Virtuoso said:
I always heard it was dentists that had the highest suicide rates....

i've heard it was various different professions, dentists, lawyers, doctors, police officers to name a few.

burn out said:
reminds me of my uncle who is a former doctor. he says he still has nightmares about his days of practicing medicine.

It is the most depressing and disappointing environment you can work in. If it isn't stupid patients, its stupid parents of helpless children or underpaying underserving health plans.

burn out said:
i've heard it was various different professions, dentists, lawyers, doctors, police officers to name a few.

apart from the laywers it all makes sense something like anesthesiologist , doctor , dentist , ,military , cop

Virtuoso said:

worked in surgery all summer 40hrs a week 3 months saw dead bodys did surgery's on animals so say wat want

Virtuoso said:
It is the most depressing and disappointing environment you can work in. If it isn't stupid patients, its stupid parents of helpless children or underpaying underserving health plans.
advantage of being an anesthesiologist you barely come into contact with patients if at all.

gethigh said:
i could do decent on the mcats just from the research i done online and encylopedia brittanica (sp?)

The MCAT's doesn't have anything to do with research you may have done online. In fact the test is not about medicine, it only tests you in physics(basic)/organic chem, biology, and verbal reason/writing. Also, you should probably get into the habit of writing complete sentences. For $4000 I will take the test for you, as I guarantee a score of 36 or higher (or your money back). This is a joke.

Also, keep in mind 360k a year is not much when you factor in the huge amount of insurance required for that specific branch of medicine.

Also the following is not true (and if this is the way you think, you should reconsider medicine as a profession):

advantage of being an anesthesiologist you barely come into contact with patients if at all.

gethigh said:
thank for agreeing with me. thats what i plan on being is an anesthesiologist 2 years of residency after 1 year of general surgery which once im done with residency ill be able to sit down monitor vitals admin drugs etc etc.
You seem to be forgetting about the ~4 years of college getting your bachelor's degree (and good fucking grades and kicking ass on the MCAT as negro said... and its not easy). Then a few more years in medical school (not easy) before beginning your residency. And probably other shit I am forgetting.

Thats kind of a big part to forget, you know. About 6 years of intensive and rigorous education and all... its not a walk in the park.

unbelievably painful

Fuck man, if you think the damn injection is painfull you have never really experienced severe pain. The kind when your body goes into shock.

for fun I googled propofol abuse and found some pretty interesting stories and stuff. seems to be abused more often than you would think, one guy liked it so much was getting prescriptions from his vet to "anesthetize his aquarium fish."

negrogesic said:
The MCAT's doesn't have anything to do with research you may have done online. In fact the test is not about medicine, it only tests you in physics(basic)/organic chem, biology, and verbal reason/writing. Also, you should probably get into the habit of writing complete sentences. For $4000 I will take the test for you, as I guarantee a score of 36 or higher (or your money back). This is a joke.

Also, keep in mind 360k a year is not much when you factor in the huge amount of insurance required for that specific branch of medicine.

Also the following is not true (and if this is the way you think, you should reconsider medicine as a profession):

Everything negrogesic has said is completely true.

Besides, youre talking about 200k minimum in med school loans, 4 yrs undergrad, 4 yrs med school, 4 yrs (minimum) residency where you will be making about 40k a year, and then if you want to further specialize another 1-3 yrs of fellowship.