• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
^
My op, in response to your questions:

NSFW:
*I think a key point that David emphasizes repeatedly in an ironic fashion is that he feels no emotion, which I think his actions give lie to. He infects Holloway because he wants to find out what it does, and who better to experiment on than Holloway? The man has needled him from practically their first meeting. He implies that he wants Weyland dead, along with that chilling statement that everyone secretly wants to kill their parents. He exhibits curiosity in the alien ship, about Shaw's dreams, and much else.

*To satisfy a curiosity untamed by ethical concerns, which turns up in the Alien franchise itself (in both the movies and in print) again and again.

*There was the storm, at first. When there wasn't, I think the point was to show that the crew really had no attachment to each other, that they were there strictly for a paycheck. In Alien, by contrast, the Nostromo's crew was on the planet as side mission, and that they had a kind of camaraderie born of common hard work; note also the unifying "character" of the ship's cat, Jonesy.

*I think this was strictly reading between the lines; Earth was prominently listed in the star projection, and each ship presumably carried an enormous cargo of these lethal vessels. What the movie doesn't explain, is what exactly went wrong on the ship(s) to abort their mission, since it must have happened on *all* of the ships at the same time.

Just saw it again a couple days ago and here is my take on David. First off I'd say your response to tambourine man is spot on. The Alien franchise has always been about the dangerously curious weyland corp leaving ethics aside and pursuing the xenomorph specimen (or in this case the meaning of human existence), without any regard for human life. David IMO personifies that curiosity.

Secondly

NSFW:
I found myself comparing David to the androids of Blade Runner throughout this second viewing. In both films these androids yearn for something that everyone tells them they don't and can't possibly have, a soul. David clearly shows emotion throughout the film. When Holloway talks to David at the pool table you could see that David was visibly upset at Holloway's constant reminders that he is not human. When David asks Halloway "Why do you think your kind made me?" Holloway replies "Because we could." At that Davids face darkens and he says "Could you imagine how disappointed you would be if your engineers said the same thing to you?" I don't know if I am reading too much into it. But when David dipped his finger into that cup I could sense a bit of satisfaction in David.

Lastly as for Fife and Milburn getting lost in the engineer base. That was the one part I have a problem with. The idea that the guy making the maps (Fife who also has a direct link to his map making pups) would get lost on his way out seems idiotic to me. But then again I think he was stoned. That one scene when Fife and Milburn are sitting in the room with all the vases filled with black ooze Fife was smoking something inside his helmet. Milburn asks him "Is that tobacco you got in your suit?" Fife takes a hit and then says "Yeah... tobacco" and they all laugh while Milburn jokingly says he is ashamed to call Fife a fellow scientist.

Last edited:
Im a huge scifi fan and I thought this movie was pretty weak. The 3d was breathtaking, and the effects were very good.
however thats about the best thing it had going for it. The origin of humanity is such a profound concept that the movie could have taken in so many different places, Instead it seems to avoid the theme all together
NSFW:
aside from posing the question of what if your creator really doesnt give a shit about you at all. take that christians.
I expect that the sequel will have more information regarding the egineers and all that, but I really think they could have dove into the theme MUCH more in this movie

Excited say promo was antastic gave more depth to alien movies avps and preadtors. finally tied them together in my mind.

I loved this movie for what it tries to do and the way it does it. Given a dice only have 6 possibilities and a great movie after all should get a 6 I give this movie a 6/6, especially the fact that the timing of the movie is so great!

I need to see it again, I sawe it in theatres in 3D - amazing movie - loved every bit of it!