• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

problem with pierced ear

Tea tree oil will help, especially with cartilege piercings.
My tragus is nicely healing now and I used a mix of tea tree and almond oil; though admittedly, I seem to heal fairly cleanly.

It sure does 'stink' though!:p

BTW- I added some with some warm water to a styrafoam cup at work.
By the trime I walked down the hall to the restroom to rinse my mouth it ate through the cup and 1/2 the cup fell on the floor!

WTF is this stuff?

LOL!

Last edited:
My ear...

I got a cartilege piercing on the top of my ear in March this year.

I am a little concerned about it though. It still kind of hurts if you pull on the ring or whatever.

Aren't fully healed piercings meant to not hurt at all if you tug on the jewellery a little. It is still occasionally uncomfortable to sleep on and it still builds up white crusty stuff around the hole.

Recently I have been applying the alcohol gel my piercer gave me when I got it done to it again and it seems to be helping...

Is my piercing okay? Is it infected or anything? Or not fully healed? Or do piercings of this kind always feel a little weird? Should I keep putting this gel on?

^
My 1st cartilidge piercing was a hoop- back in February. It kinda hurt for a while, like months later, so I put a stud in it an it was fine. After a month I put the hoop back in- Guess what? It hurt again. Oh, wells, I have the stud back in and its fine. I have no idea why this is..........

My 2nd one is one week old. Hurts like hell too:X

But I have a question for anyone.

I was visiting a former neightbor last nite and went to grab my Neosprin from my purse to put on this painful percing. He said NO! NO antibiotic ointment! He says that stuff wants to heal the wound and when it cant it creates a bump next to the hole.

Does this make sense to anyone? btw~ I stopped using that stuff now.

satricion said:
I got a cartilege piercing on the top of my ear in March this year.

I am a little concerned about it though. It still kind of hurts if you pull on the ring or whatever.

Aren't fully healed piercings meant to not hurt at all if you tug on the jewellery a little. It is still occasionally uncomfortable to sleep on and it still builds up white crusty stuff around the hole.

Recently I have been applying the alcohol gel my piercer gave me when I got it done to it again and it seems to be helping...

Is my piercing okay? Is it infected or anything? Or not fully healed? Or do piercings of this kind always feel a little weird? Should I keep putting this gel on?

It is NOT fully healed. Stop using the gel, and use the saline solution I listed earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
getreal said:
^

Is it OK to put tea tree oil on it? Will it make it heal faster or anything?

Doesnt someone know? PLEASE???

I bought some tea tree oil but I dont what the experince is for ear piercings.

Try a lil dab of tee tree oil in the morning, place a little on a cotton swab and dab it on your piercing.

Use a saline soak in the evening and let it breath overnight, Discontinue the antibiotic ointment.

getreal said:
^
My 1st cartilidge piercing was a hoop- back in February. It kinda hurt for a while, like months later, so I put a stud in it an it was fine. After a month I put the hoop back in- Guess what? It hurt again. Oh, wells, I have the stud back in and its fine. I have no idea why this is..........

My 2nd one is one week old. Hurts like hell too:X

But I have a question for anyone.

I was visiting a former neightbor last nite and went to grab my Neosprin from my purse to put on this painful percing. He said NO! NO antibiotic ointment! He says that stuff wants to heal the wound and when it cant it creates a bump next to the hole.

Does this make sense to anyone? btw~ I stopped using that stuff now.

Antibiotic ointment is not for puncture wounds, they need oxygen and antibiotic ointment does not allow the wound to heal. Try the saline soak I posted earlier in this thread.

As for the issue with the ring, the circumfrence may be to small for your piercing. Can you post a pic. I will try to give you an answer based on the pic.

KourtneyKitty said:
It is NOT fully healed. Stop using the gel, and use the saline solution I listed earlier in the thread.

Okay.

Why did my piercer give me this gel? Why isn't it appropriate for my current cartilege piercing? It worked fine for both my nipples.

Alcohol will dry out and damage tissue. Using a gel that keeps the alcohol from evaporating will just make this worse.

Not all piercers know what they are talking about - they aren't doctors. I've talked to quite a few that tell people to wash new piercings with hydrogen peroxide everyday. This is really bad advice too.

KourtneyKitty said:
Antibiotic ointment is not for puncture wounds, they need oxygen and antibiotic ointment does not allow the wound to heal. Try the saline soak I posted earlier in this thread.
As for the issue with the ring, the circumfrence may be to small for your piercing. Can you post a pic. I will try to give you an answer based on the pic.
Thanks KK!

Sounds like good advice! Makes sense too!:)
I will try and take a picture.

I'm having the same issues with my helix piercing as you described your GF having. Can you please tell me if the bumps were reduced by using tea tree oil?

Kourtney!

I just wanted to tell you.....

"YOU ARE THE GREATEST"
GOOD ADVICE- GOOD ADVICE!:)

I have never had these piercings feel so good and heal so f'n fast as they do now because of using the sea salt!

You deserve a BL award for the greatest piercing advice!=D

Thanks!

Tea tree oil will most likly burn it and make it worse.

Try somthing less extreme like emu oil.

Take it out, use emu oil, let it heal.

Then repierce it with a dermal punch (rather than a needle) to reduce rubbing and stretching and it will have a much better chance of living.

Patience.