• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Preparing for Methadone Detox/WD

Methacodone

Bluelighter
Ok, after almost 4 years, I'm finally planning on starting a new chapter in my life, to be off Methadone completely.
My current dose is 80mg, which is a below average dose, according to my counselor, doctor, and other MMT patients. (I've met patients who are on as low as 30 and 40mg, I've also met patients who are on 250 and 300mg)
But any dose of chronic Methadone use can bring a nasty withdrawal, as we all should know.

Mentally, I feel like I'm finally ready to start detox. I'd LOVE and appreciate any advice and support from my fellow bluelighters. Esp the very brave people who successfully beat Methadone withdrawal.
I have a good list of Medications available to me when I'm near the end or finished my detox for withdrawal.
Including,

Clonazepam 1mg tablets (50)
Alprazolam 0.5mg tablets (70)
Diazepam 10mg tablets (90)
Diazepam 5mg tablets (65)
Lorazepam 2mg tablets (60)
Trazodone 50mg tablets (90)
Promethazine 25mg tablets (120)
Hydroxyzine 25mg tablets (120)
Gabapentin 300mg tablets (90)
Loperamide 2mg (100)
Ibuprofen 600mg (60)
Ibuprofen 200mg (120)
Acetaminophen 500mg (220)
Vitamins + Minerals

So ya, I have been preparing for quite a while, haha.
That looks like a TON of medications (which indeed they are), but for Methadone withdrawal, nothing seems enough lol.

Will I be ok to do this? Referring to those medications.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
thats a shitload of benzos man; just don't take the benzos for more a few weeks;

Honestly, If your on 80mg;

Ive done tons of research and this is SUBJECTIVE; BUT in my opinion the best way to taper down is 5% of your dose every 2 weeks;

you could do it faster of course; but if you want as painless as possible thats the way to go; U could probably go down 5mg a week every week if you want till you hit about 50-40;

But the best way from my research is 5% reduction every 2 weeks; it will take a while; You don't NOT want to cold turkey off any dose higher than 20-30mg man....

80mg is a hell of a high dose to cold turkey; it is possible; but it will be horrific; (maybe not as horrific with all those comfort meds)

check out the thomas recipe online for other things to take to help

Holy tits I'm jealous of your benzo list... I've been stocking up as well just came on to post on my phone as I'm driving from picking up 5 bars ... You got a good collection man if I were u I'd mix the long half life with short half life every 3-6 hours with half doses of usual so there's a synergetic effect

^^ haha. No need to be jealous ;)
Don't mean to rub it in, but I also have 70 0.5mg Alprazolam peaches :p

Honestly, if I didn't have a good stash of medications like that, I wouldn't have the confidence or be mentally ready to detox Methadone.
I can at least get a LITTLE relief from those comfort meds.

The 5% reduction every couple weeks is a very good and safe way to detox. For me that would be going down 4mg every couple weeks.
But for people who are on rediculous high doses (250-350mg) it's probably better going slower, 5% of 300 is 15mg, which imo is too big of a jump.
So it definitely depends on the dose.
But for me at 80mg, very reasonable.

^^ haha. No need to be jealous ;)
Don't mean to rub it in, but I also have 70 0.5mg Alprazolam peaches :p

Honestly, if I didn't have a good stash of medications like that, I wouldn't have the confidence or be mentally ready to detox Methadone.
I can at least get a LITTLE relief from those comfort meds.

The 5% reduction every couple weeks is a very good and safe way to detox. For me that would be going down 4mg every couple weeks.
But for people who are on rediculous high doses (250-350mg) it's probably better going slower, 5% of 300 is 15mg, which imo is too big of a jump.
So it definitely depends on the dose.
But for me at 80mg, very reasonable.

I just got off suboxone after about the same time using it as you've had, and I quit it without taking anything. Just need to find time to get through it. The post acute phase is actually worse than the acute phase. You just need a strong mind.

The worst part is the constant having to piss I piss 4-5 times every 2-3 hours so it's bad enough I'm freezing sweating under 3 blankets

Another way to taper, in a clinical setting, is what's often referred to as a "blind taper", that's where the clinic drops you small amounts every so often without telling you they have, but you know they are, just not when our how much. Only works with liquid, obviously.

This takes away a lot of the mental aspect for people. For others it's not a good way to go - depends on clinic, mindset, goals and personal preference. I couldn't taper off MMT without it being blind b/c every time I got below about 75-mgs I'd go use dope. No good. A blind taper from around 130-mg took several months to get to 30-mg where I switched to bupe. It actually was much quicker than I'd expected. One day i went in and they said, ok, you're at 30-mg! I thought I was still at about 60-mg.

You should not do this if you're going to be relapsing, the danger of OD b/c you don't know your tolerance is too great, this is for the truly committed- those who won't relapse. Very difficult to predict, I know. The clinic UAs do help keep one honest if you're not faking them. Those were my keys to a successful blind taper - no using other agonists, lower my benzo dose slightly, and be compliant with UAs for my own safety.

Just a thought. I highly advise against a CT @80-mgs, esp., with all those benzos. You're in serious danger of trading a very nasty habit for a tremendously horrific one. I know, I have extensive experience with both tapers, several times over. Just my thoughts, not trying to be preachy...

Be careful, best wishes... I know sometimes people have to jump out at high doses (>30-mg for bupe transition, 5 - 10-mg ct.) but 80-mg to zero, seriously - fucking ouch!

There is no way in hell Im going to go cold turkey off of 80mg of Methadone.
Its not only gong to make you sick like a dog, but also going to make you relapse on your DoC and start the phase allllll over again.
so cold turkey is the last thing I'll do. The minimum dose I'll jump off of is AT LEAST 5mg, but I'm planning on going all the way down to 1 or 2mg, then jump off. That's the best way to minimize w.d symptoms imo.

The only thing I'm not sure of doing is either switch to bupe when I get down to 25 or 30mg or just continue detoxing on Methadone.

will switching to bupe make matters better or worse? Will my w.d be easier by switching to bupe when on 30mg of Methadone and taper with bupe?

will I get worse w.d coming off the smallest dose of bupe? Or will it get harder?

so they have 2mg bupe pills, so you can 1/4 the pill and get off of .5mg of bupe.

would you rather go off cold turkey from 5mg of Methadone or .5mg of bupe?

There is no way in hell Im going to go cold turkey off of 80mg of Methadone.
Its not only gong to make you sick like a dog, but also going to make you relapse on your DoC and start the phase allllll over again.
so cold turkey is the last thing I'll do. The minimum dose I'll jump off of is AT LEAST 5mg, but I'm planning on going all the way down to 1 or 2mg, then jump off. That's the best way to minimize w.d symptoms imo.

The only thing I'm not sure of doing is either switch to bupe when I get down to 25 or 30mg or just continue detoxing on Methadone.

will switching to bupe make matters better or worse? Will my w.d be easier by switching to bupe when on 30mg of Methadone and taper with bupe?

will I get worse w.d coming off the smallest dose of bupe? Or will it get harder?

so they have 2mg bupe pills, so you can 1/4 the pill and get off of .5mg of bupe.

would you rather go off cold turkey from 5mg of Methadone or .5mg of bupe?

Doing a really quick bupe taper usually always helps. Tapering down to .1 or .5mg. Suboxone W/Ds have always been less intense for me but last longer, and the paws lasts longer too. i was on them for over 3 years though. Tapering to .5mg made me have almost no acute withdrawals.

^^ so do you suggest I switch to bupe when I get down to the 20 to 30mg range of methadone?

definetly not there is no need at all to switch to bupe; most peple who do try to switch almost always go into precipitated wds..

TO be honest man; I fluctate my dose from around 50-80 very easy; It is very easy to get down from 80 to about 30;

Heres what i would do; i would go do 5mg every WEEK until you hit about 60; It will not be bad at all might not even feel anything;

From 60 lower do the 5% reduction every 2 weeks; and with this method you probably wont feel it start getting noticeable unless your sitting on your couch doing nothing until you get to about below 30 or 20;

and if i were you and had that many comfort meds; I would seriously just jump at like 5,10, or even 15mg; You wont even need ANY of the comfort meds honestly until you are totally off the methadone; you can take them if you want when your tapering; but if you do the slow taper you should be fine;

Not be to honest man; In my OPINION i seriously have found NO DIFFERENCE in the severity of methadone withdraw of methadone from quitting at around 10-15mg or 1mg;

But by all means if you can taper all the way down to 1mg succesfully DO IT; but dont be surprised to how you feel when you jump; You may feel fine you may feel absolute hell; Everyones different;

ALso like i said before definetly dont use the comfort meds unless you really need them and your gonna need them when your completely off the methadone; thats a ridiculous amount of benzos which could easily start a nice benzo addiction if you started taking benzos while doing the 5% taper becauuse you were feeling a little hard to sleep.. Trust me use them spsaringly and mostly when your off methadone;

Methadone withdrawal doesnt even start until usually day 3; peaks at around days 5-10; and lasts physically for around 15-30 days;

YES 30 fucking days im not joking.. PHYSICALLY. Psychologically and PAWS im not even gonna go there; fuck methadone

ALSO ijust saw yoru benzo list thats WAY to many benzos dude; if you use those all you are definetly going to get rebound benzo effects/anxiety that wont make it worth it; but who knows everyones difference;

use all the benzos the first 10 days thats when it will be PURE FUCKING HELL.. Usually; you might not even need them ;)

checkt he thomas recipe again; and honestly i found CLONIDINE to be better than ANY BENZO by far; it is the QUEEN for methadone WDS; but im not a dr and u are mixing alot of drugs there so be careful;

So to recap; 80 to 60 will be very easy; once you get to 60 u will feel it a little not too bad; once u get to around 40 and lower you'll feel it; just use the 5% rule and you may have to be creative when breaking your tablets and shit;

as for the comment on 300mg of methadone actually they can make much larger drops much easier; and any doctor or clinic who has put anyone on over 160mg of methadone is just stupid irresponsible in my opinon; I feel so bad for those people on over 200mg of methadone...

peace and good luck; If i were you i would do a search and read Lynne's threa she just did quit methadone i think is at like 40 days by now; had a short percocet relapse but i think is doing real good ; she jumped at 3mgs

I have tapered methadone slowly (3 mg per week til I hit around 20 mg; then 1 mg per week. Stopping and letting my body adjust if needed).

I have also gone cold turkey off about 50 mg.

If you went cold turkey, yeah all those benzodiazepines would help.

If you taper correctly, you may want a benzo or two the first couple nights for comfortable sleep. But really it's best to take nothing and let your body clear the last bit of the methadone. It is a very painless detox when done slowly. People make such a big thing out of getting off methadone but it isn't bad at all *if done slowly*.

Lol yes don't go cold turkey

Don't bother with the bupe switch. Not necessary, and why suffer those methadone free days you need to switch without precipitated withdrawal?

Slow taper. Your plan of taper sounds good. I am currently at 65, dropped from 95, I don't even notice 5 mg decreases. My plan is keep dropping 5 every week or two til I notice. Then stop for a bit and adjust. Then resume with 3 mg drops...around 20 mg it gets tougher. I'll go 1 mg at a time then.

Good luck !

Hey thanks so much for the replies guys!

All those benzos I have, are prescribed to me, except Alprazolam.
They weren't all prescribed to me at the same time, of course.
At first, I got a script for 1mg Clonazepam tablets, 3x a day. I stock piled 50 of those bad boys. That's my most potent benzo.
Then, I got a script for 10mg Diazepam tablets and 1mg Lorazepam tablets, both 3x a day. Stock piled about 90 10mg Diazepam tablets, but am out of 1mg Lorazepam tablets.
THEN, I got prescribed 5mg Diazepam tablets and 2mg Lorazepam tablets, 3x a day of BOTH. Stocked up with over 60 tablets of BOTH.

The reason I Stocked up on benzos, is for a couple reasons,
1. I'm not guaranteed a long term script for any benzo
2. I'm actually FREE of benzos now, my last dose was 5 days ago. I did a fast and successful taper before I REALLY get another bad addiction going.
3. To help me detox and get off of Methadone completely

I talked to many people who have been to rehab FOR Methadone.
They ALL said, comfort meds are definitely the key to get through Methadone withdrawal.
The most common and popular comfort meds for Methadone withdrawal are the following,

1. Buperenorphine, to detox off of opioids
2. Clonodine, for high blood pressure
3. Librium/Valium, for anxiety and Insomnia
4. Trazodone, for Insomnia
5. Ibuprofen/Naproxen, for aches and pain
6. Vitamins/Minerals

So, in that case. I have pretty much done my part of saving up comfort meds.
The Clonodine idea is great, I'll definitely talk to my doctor about that.

Btw, I'm def NOT planning on mixing ALL of those comfort meds.
They're definitely ALL there for an as needed basis.

Anyone else?
I'm ready to start tapering and all. But will I make a mistake by switching to bupe when I get down to around the 30mg range of Methadone?
Or will I make a mistake by NOT switching to bupe?

Depends on you. Either way can succeed. Personally I don't like the feeling of suboxone. So as I am currently slow tapering, when I get below 30 I will decline the choice to switch. I have successfully detoxed before on just methadone. So I know I can do it--and it's much easier than people say.

The tough part of methadone wd is only when done fast or cold turkey. Anyone who has successfully detoxed slowly will tell you it's not bad.

If you prefer how you feel on subs then maybe transferring to that when below 30 is right for you. But for me, I don't like the feeling and it's definitely not worth me feeling shitty for 4-5 days to make the switch. Especially as I feel shitty after about 26 hours past my dose (true at 95 mg and true at 20 mg and currently true at 60 mg)

Weigh it out and do what you think best. No one else's experience really applies to you. But--fwiw--if you feel fine while decreasing the methadone then why fix what ain't broke ??

Good luck! I'm slowly coming down...5 here 5 there, til I actually notice a drop. Then I'll stabilize and see where I'm at. Last time I was at 20. So--I hope you have a smooth and easy time no matter which you choose

I'm DEFINITELY not going to switch to Suboxone. If I do switch it'll be Subutex, pure bupe with no Narcan.
Have you tried Subutex? Or just Suboxone?

Yes. Have tried both suboxone and subutex. The naloxone to me makes no difference. I know some people are sensitive to it. But really oral naloxone is almost completely benign in most people and I seem to be one of them. I am aware some people gets headaches and such from it and thus prefer subutex. I was just using suboxone as an interchangeable term for bupe, sorry, I guess it confused my statement a bit.

I don't like the feeling of bupe, don't like the taste, it takes days til I sort of am ok on it. I'm not the person who can take it and feel great an hour later. I feel sort of numb (not in a good way lol), just very spacey almost like when taking cold medicine. I have always had a dependency when taking bupe (either to detox or to maintain when unable to score) so i dont know how it would affect me taken for recreation like some do.

I just prefer the methadone feeling--I don't feel "high" but I def can sleep (no insomnia), I can taper painlessly until I get pretty far down, and overall for me it is a better option. Like I said--I'm not willing to go through several shitty days just to switch.

But for others, they like going from a full agonist to a partial to nothing. And that's why it's good there are options. I think part of my preference is also that my first time detoxing from methadone there was no bupe option. Whatever works for you, go with. I would stay with methadone until you get maybe to where you really feel the drops (under 20) before I even considered the switch. Just my opinion

So far, sticking to Methadone sounds like the better option.
I still got lots of time to think about it and do more re search. I haven't even started tapering yet cause I want more answers.

Well depending on what you are at, no reason to not start a slow taper. I mean, you can come down 5 a week or 3 a week and not even notice it. No matter what you can't even considered a switch until you are at 30 mg or below...

But make sure you are mentally ready, it's not good to taper if it leads to picking up

You can always PM any questions. I've been through it successfully...had a not so successful attempt that led to using them increasing dose again...and am current doing a drawn out taper.