Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Preparation for a San Pedro trip?

alexvolume2

Bluelighter
How do you guys feel about this?

I have taken mescaline (alkaloids, etc...) in the form of cacti for about 12 years. The last trip I had was on peyote (approx. 3 months ago) and it was quite magical, possibly due to set and setting. I was with my cousin (here's where all the great mesc trips are...tripping with family) and I had waited a very long time to try peyote...or it waited a long time to try me.

The question is...would you personally feel like you're offending the plant's spirit by not fasting the previous day? I am very close to my Native American (Mexican Indian) roots and I was going to take my San Pedro in a desolate canyon, but today I thought again and decided that there were too many undecided variables to keep from strong anxiety before the trip. As an experienced mescaline explorer I know that once I got the cacti ingestion over and done with, that it would be a positive trip as the trip from mescaline-containing cacti always is for me.

I am going to experience San Pedro for the first time in about 9 years tomorrow. I have decided to trip in a safe environment instead of the canyon, tomorrow.

I have been consuming vodka as I'm an alcoholic trying desperately to quit, but have abstained for about 4 days until tonight. Do you all think that being a little hungover and with drawing a bit will affect my trip physiologically?

I don't think that taking psychedelic drugs during alcohol withdrawals is a good idea at all.

Give it a few more weeks until you're completely back to baseline.

About a foot. Approximately 1 lb fresh but I have previously taken 1 1/2 lbs the very first time. Thanks doldrugs.

The question is...would you personally feel like you're offending the plant's spirit by not fasting the previous day? I am very close to my Native American (Mexican Indian) roots and I was going to take my San Pedro in a desolate canyon, but today I thought again and decided that there were too many undecided variables to keep from strong anxiety before the trip.

I wouldn't feel like I was offending the plant's spirit buy not fasting the previous day, no. But more it's more important to ask yourself this question alexvolume. I get the impression that you would feel that way, which has led you to ask this question. If you do have that feeling, then I would interpret it as a sign that you ought to fast the previous day. It's probably something to listen to.

Personally, I *would* feel like I was offending the plant's spirit by not eating it in a beautiful place in the country though.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question about alcohol withdrawal, I really have no idea.

I think fasting is a personal choice. I never fast before psychedelics, except for ibogaine... I fasted the whole day except for fruit in the morning, in order to make sure my bowels would be clear so I wouldn't have to go during the 3-day peak. I make sure my stomach is empty when I eat psychedelics, but that just includes not eating for hours beforehand. For me, fasting doesn't feel like a healthy thing, but I have a freakish metabolism and I have to eat 2500-3000 calories a day just to maintain my weight.

Thank you all for the replies. I am still looking for more opinions b/c it's quite fascinating to have q's answered for me.

Might do it today. I feel pretty well today and I can't say the same for previous days leading up to this. I am going to eat it raw, though. I hope I don't puke.

And yes I do feel that way about the plant, thankfully. It's an odd relationship. As a poly drug user it's difficult to abstain from anything. But, the cacti in my freezer is keeping me at a distance for a while now.

Last edited:
So I ate the cactus. Not a bad decision, I am so full of wonder I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Didn't drink all the foam though. Truly an amazing plant, it lets my light shine through and I am grateful.

Yeah mescaline is a gloriously beautiful substance, so subtle yet so powerful. I love it very much. <3

Wow. Fucking wow man. That was the first time I've gone all the way ++++ with mescaline containing cacti.

Jeeeesus Christ, so so strong. Total ego death and out of body experience. Extremely intense and crisp visuals. Still tripping but down a bit. I actually thought about taking more. For fucks sake, I'm glad I was inside. My bed was the only choice and that's when it really hit me. Being outside right now could be a bit impractical.

Simply amazing. And I actually had a ++++ on this. I wonder who else has gone that far with cactus. That was like an interstellar journey or something. Mushrooms have been the only thing that's gotten me this far inside. Wow man.

That's awesome man! I once had a ++++ on mescaline extract and to this day it's probably the most mystical and magical experience I've had with a thousands of trips and multiple psychedelic combos involving large amounts. The visuals and intensity rivaled large doses of LSD pretty easily. I fucking loved going outside though. Being in the woods surrounded by nature timing up and just bathing in the feeling of absolute connection with every living thing. Such a wonderful experience, very moving!

I feel the same way as Xorkoth, fasting in my eyes is unhealthy. The psychedelic experience is heavy and taxing on the body so not eating and having proper amounts of energy/naturtion is a bad idea. They also lower immune function so it's defintely a good idea to be in top form. Simply not eating for a few hours beforehand has always been perfectly adequate for me:

I think if the plant has a spirit then it's beyond being offended by our actions. It's not the local probation officer in cactus form - I imagine it's a lot more forgiving and understanding of human foibles.

I think if the plant has a spirit then it's beyond being offended by our actions. It's not the local probation officer in cactus form - I imagine it's a lot more forgiving and understanding of human foibles.
Idk man....what if the particular cacti's spirit you have is a probation officer for other cacti spirit? It could be a bit of a hard ass then....!

Nice alexvolume! It's good to hear your trip went so beautifully!! It gives me a warm feeling to read this...

I never fast, I just don't have the willpower or desire for it. But there is an argument to be made that it's good for our bodies to fast once in a while, because it gives our guts a break, and it emulates what our ancestors evolved to do on a fairly regular basis. Also, in terms of those seeking a spiritual experience, fasting has a lot of importance in various religious rites of passage and traditions. So I understand the desire to fast before a big trip...

When you eat a lot of mescaline cactus, the cactus itself becomes your food and an actual source of energy, which is an interesting process. After the difficult part of eating it is done, I find it sits quite well and feels cleansing to the organs. The first shit afterwords can be pretty dramatic haha!

That's so great that you had such a magical trip alex! :) I've never had a +4 on pure mescaline or cacti... I've had a variety of wonderful, magical, special experiences but never was I even close to going on a disembodied journey or ego death.

Thanks for the replies guys! I am back firmly on earth this morning. Tbph the power of it totally took me by surprise as I just hadn't reached that level with mescaline before.

There was a tinge of darkness to the trip after 3 or 4 hours as I've been in a dark place recently. It was good to work through some issues but it showed me parts of myself in a somewhat uncomfortable light.

I'm trying to integrate it best as I can but I'm grasping at straws. I don't think I offended any plant spirits and in the end it was very forgiving-as I came down very smoothy after the 12 hour mark.

I ate a 12 inch piece, frozen, liquified, and completely raw. I think that raw consumption is definitely the way to go with these plants. Very heavy body load.

I think of ektamine's cartoon where he's crying rainbows. It was joyous and then when I laid down in a dark room the real fireworks began, pretty overwhelming being shown this ancient knowledge but I am so happy that I was able to experience this.

To think I thought about consuming twice this amount! Absolutely not.....no, no, and no.

Alex, if you get this you need to empty some mail from your mailbox. Your love of plant medicine demonstrates we have loads in common, but I can't talk to you until you empty your mailbox.