• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Pregabalin - speed effect? And blocking opioids?

Tavinier

Greenlighter
Have been taking opioids in the form of painkillers for about 7 years now. Started as a tool for pain reduction but turned into an addiction about 3 years ago. Don't want to stop or quit my opioid addiction but have been forced to reduce due to local laws.

My dr has put me on lyrica aka pregabalin. I have been so surprised and rather perplexed at its results and I'm really desperate to hear other people's experiences.

It has done a lot of things but 2 things stand out. First, I am getting an undeniable speed feeling. At first I just thought I had more energy because I wasn't as whacked out on pain killers but after code consideration I'm realising I'm chewing gum like a maniac (never chewed gum before), I have SO much energy, I can't stop talking and I'm never hungry - and I used to ALWAYS be hungry.

Second, my codeine pills just don't seem to be having any effect and I'm wondering if Lyrica has had this affect on anyone else? I haven't had a proper opiate high for about a week now and it doesn't matter how many tablets I take. It's as though the lyrica is stopping or blocking it. The research I've done online says this shouldn't be happening but from my own non empirical experiments it's just not adding up. Usually I take 15 tablets a day and that gives me a great high but I'm pushing 20 and feeling very little to nothing. I'm considering stopping taking the Lyrica to see if I can get that high back.

Any experiences from others would be so appreciated!!! :)

I know gabapeptin would sorta do the same thing and it's similar structure and drug wise to lyrica (I've never tried lyrica , I see the commercial constantly lol) but I think it's cause it has some sort of andrenal effect that makes opiates feel weaker cause during withdrawal gabapentin almost gets you well and gives you energy in a way

No experience with lyrics but plenty with gabapentin. It seems a lot of ppl say lyrics/GABA kinds blocks their opiate buzz OR makes it better, I'm one of the lucky ones it seems to wrk better on. I kno GABA can make me feel speedy and social, but definitely Dsnt kill my appetite, I wanna eat everything on it... But ya seems to be half and half.. Ppl say it either dulls or enchanes the buzz.

Wow that's really interesting re the adrenal effect. That definitely makes sense.

None of the speed effect here. Although very useful for restless legs and wanting to blow my head when in opioid withdrawal.
Also wanna eat everything while on it.

I kind of have the same speed feeling from lyrica, in fact the days I take it I always take it the closest to my wake up time to be able to sleep the next night. For me ( I take around 400mg-550mg once every 4 days to a week) it last over than 15 hours with one dose. And when I take it no other drug is useful to take other than adderall like 5mgs as I don't feel it, I have tried benzo, opiates, alcohol, DXM (first plateau) and even cannabis and nothing seems to change the effect. I have limited drug supply so I learned quick not to waste drugs by mixing them with lyrica.

Altho I would say that taking Lyrica in a rotation with other drugs make its painkilling efficacy close to opiates, altho I never use opiates to the point of a body euphoria, just to kill pain (because I get nausea when I do and the body buzz is NOTHING as pleasurable as med-low amount of HBWR seeds, they are hard on the stomach but you get a body high SOOOOOOOOOOOO nice for at least 10 hours, one year I took em every 3-4 days because it was so great). So overall if you can stand using it on a rotation, I would rotate it with opiates if you are not too physically addicted to opiates or lyrica as both WD are awful.

Also I think the speed feeling comes from a raise in NA and SER levels which if you are sensible to both will give you a speedy but not concentrated feeling (altho for me the biggest issue with being able to concentrate is not being able to ignore my body which makes Lyrica a great ADD med in my case!) thats why by mixing it with low amount of Addys I can do schoolwork for over 12hours straight compared to 4 hours with Addys alone, I gotta up my dose...

If anything it should potentiate the opiates. At the methadone clinics , lyrica is notorious for abuse due to its potentiation. I learned lyrica is very enjoyable but there is a fine line, too much feels too dirty of a buzz, yes indeed it does feel speedy , similar to a low dose of alcohol...